cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Is MS Experimenting with Your PC

Interesting read, make of it what you....

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/115719-ms-experimenting-your-pc-really-has-anyone-heard.ht...

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
44 Replies

I imagine this is why DDU mentioned Microsoft has changed it's update check/install procedure and to always disconnect from the internet until the AMD drivers have been installed and the system rebooted.

0 Likes

I would assume that too. Taking the better safe than sorry approach is smart in my book.

0 Likes

Microsoft disabled the group policy and registry effect long ago back in the Anniversary Update, you need to have your connection set as metered to block the upgrades as well as be on the Semi-Annual channel, which adds an additional delay. Microsoft doesn't consider upgrades critical (yet) so they won't automatically download.

0 Likes

In Windows 10 Pro, you can delay any windows updates up to a year. After the delay is over, let say one year, does Windows automatically download a year's worth of updates and upgrade your computer before you are able to prevent it again for another year?

From the Microsoft Link below in the last page (25) it links to a website that shows 9 methods to stop Windows Update on Windows 10: https://linustechtips.com/main/blogs/entry/1474-nine-different-ways-to-disable-windows-update-in-win...

Seems like Microsoft add a special Service to prevent Users from disabling Windows Update in Version 1803. The service is called Windows Update Medic Service. Copied from the above link:

Bonus info:

In Windows 10 version 1803 and onward, the "Windows Update Medic Service" keep re-starting Windows Update and related scheduled tasks and re-creates Windows Update related scheduled tasks even after a person manually stops them, disables them, and removes the scheduled tasks. You could find another way to disable Windows Update Medic Service, which otherwise keeps re-starting Windows Update, and then disable Windows Update and any associated scheduled tasks.

http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/waasmedicsvc/

One way to disable Windows Update Medic Service might be to disable Remote Procedure Call, which is what starts Windows Update Medic Service:

http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/rpcss/

Or by deleting the file "WaaSMedicSvc.dll" that's in the %WinDir%\System32 folder or possibly replacing it with another file and setting its permissions to "read only".

People should be aware that the reason why Microsoft tries to prevent Windows Update from being disabled is not due to security of your PC, or making things easier for Microsoft's support efforts, but is to provide Microsoft as many opportunities as possible to reset your Windows and default programs settings, as well as your data-harvesting settings, all back to the Microsoft defaults where Microsoft is able to harvest as much personal and personally-identifiable data about you as possible.

And at the "Basic" setting, which is the most minimal data-harvesting setting in Windows 10 Home and Pro versions, Microsoft is continuously harvesting your personal and personally-identifiable data from over 3,500 individual.... Altogether, that data forms a meticulous and comprehensive picture of all your activities in your Windows OS.

Be aware that Microsoft's own documentation on the data they collect appears to be incomplete, as one of the few data containers listed Microsoft's own Windows 10 data collection-monitoring tool that I searched up in Microsoft's documentation wasn't listed there. So, Microsoft is likely harvesting a lot more personal and personally-identifiable data than just what's listed in their documentation.

Selling your personal and personally-identifiable data is a big part of Microsoft's business model now - despite that it is actually illegal for Microsoft to do it because Windows 10 is legally and factually a product (which you own) and not a service (which you merely access). So, Microsoft harvesting your data is analogous to a thief entering your home, taking your possessions, and selling them for profit.

Another major reason why Microsoft wants to force Windows updates on people's personal Windows OSes is because the large bi-annual Windows 10 updates grant Microsoft frequent opportunity to deliberately break any 3rd-party UI customization software twice a year.

Found this thread at Microsoft Forum while one User said he was able to disable Windows Update. How To Turn Off Windows Updates Permanently? - Microsoft Community .

As you all know , I hate repeating myself. But just the responses from you guys that made the leap is my point. All of you are 100 times more advanced than the average Joe...and look. Methods that the average user wouldn't have a clue about..and don't have any experience of forums or Google. They want to turn the computer on and it works. Oh well, it's keeping several of my family who work in IT with plenty of work. And it keeps me in beer.