cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mtacka
Journeyman III

Can't get multiple displays functioning with my AMD Radeon R9 200

I have purchased an active display port to hdmi adapter in order to get to a third display functioning on my computer. It will finally detect the third monitor, which it would not do before. It remains disabled though, and I can't figure out how to get it to work.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon R9 200
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
  • Display Devices
    • Gateway LCD Model FHX2300 connected via DVI-D to DVI-D
    • AOC LCD Model 270LM00004 Connected via Display port to HDMI adapter then HDMI to HDMI
    • Sony TV Model KDL-50W700B Connected Via HDMI to HDMI
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ASUStek motherboard(can't find model) BiOS version American Megatrends Inc. 0501
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel Core i7-6700 cpu @3.4GHz, 4 core, 8 logical processors
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Don't know. I think wattage is 650
  • RAM
    • 16gb
0 Likes
5 Replies

What error messages are you getting from the third Monitor in Windows or Radeon settings?

Could your Active DP-HDMI Adapter be the problem? Or the HDMI cable connected from the adapter to the monitor?  What resolution do you have your monitor set at in Windows for the third monitor?

What is the Make & Model of the Active DP-HDMI that you are using?

EDIT: Needed to delete some information since the OP accidently gave the wrong GPU card model.

0 Likes
mtacka
Journeyman III

My bad. R9 200 series. All monitors are set to 1920 x 1080. Each individual monitor works on the system. Any combination of two work, and the second a chord is unplugged, the third will turn on. All drivers are up to date. There is no error message. When you choose extend screen in display settings it just autoresets itself to "disconnect this device."  I've tried every combination of VGA, HDMI, Display Port, DVI-I, DVI-D, cables, and DVI-D adapter to VGA, display port to hdmi, dvi-i to vga adapters. No matter what I can't get the third to function simultaneously. UltraAV® DisplayPort 1.1 to HDMI 1.4 Active Adapter is the active adapter.

0 Likes

Okay here is the latest AMD Driver for the R9 2xx series GPU Card: AMD Radeon™ R9 270 Drivers & Support | AMD .

It is possible you Active DP 1.1 adapter is not compatible with the monitor. The R9 2xx Series GPU card has DP version 1.2 on it. You may want to see if an Active DP 1.2 adapter will work.

From AMD Support about Multi Monitors on the R7 and R9: How do I connect three or more displays to an AMD Radeon™ R series graphics card?

How do I connect three or more displays to an AMD Radeon™ R series graphics card?

​​​The AMD Radeon™ R series graphics card can support up to 6 displays, with the exception for the R7 250/240 which can support a maximum of two displays.

The table below illustrates the combination of outputs that can be used with the number of connected displays.  Please note when connecting 4 displays, one of the displays must be connected using DisplayPort™ output.

R9 290X/290R9 280XR9 270X/270R7 260XR7 250/240
Maximum displays supported

3 with DVI/HDMI

4 using DisplayPort

6 with an MST hub

3 with DVI/HDMI1

4 using DisplayPort1

6 with an MST hub

3 with DVI/HDMI1

4 using DisplayPort1

6 with an MST hub

3 with DVI/HDMI

4 using DisplayPort

6 with an MST hub

0 Likes

So when I look on my computer it says it's r9 200 series. The card and tower both say it's r9 370 though. Not sure why it's different. The display port adapter is the "certified" product for this specific card. Even with those chords, and connections I still can't get that third monitor to function together with the other two. I'm seriously lost, and frustrated about this haha. Tried taking it to two local computer places, and they can't figure it out. Their only suggestions have been to try an MST adapter which is next on my list of things to try. For the price of one of the MST's I could honestly just drop money on a new card, and it would probably work just fine.

0 Likes
mtacka
Journeyman III

Update... I got in to BiOS and enabled my motherboards VGA port. All three monitors currently working. Still no solution for running more than 2 on my GPU though.

0 Likes