Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kidgloves
Adept I

3 way crossfire for triple monitors

hi there,

i currently own a r9 290 and want a triple monitor setup for racing games. i will end up with 3 x 1920 x 1080p monitors at 144hz. My aim is to keep my average FPS above 144 also.
I was thinking about beefing up the graphics setup with 1 or 2 more 290's for crossfire.

I have never tried crossfire or triple monitors before so i have a few questions. To start with though

1. if i had 3 cards each running on a x16 slot would i connect each monitor to its own seperate card?

Thanks for your time peoples

0 Likes
1 Solution
arcticwind
Forerunner

In Crossfire, all monitors are connected to the first GPU, the video work load is spread out to the other GPUs.

Read up on Crossfire through AMD, Wikipidia, etc. web sites.

You will see that Crossfire is fading away.  Most games do not use Crossfire anymore.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

In Crossfire, all monitors are connected to the first GPU, the video work load is spread out to the other GPUs.

Read up on Crossfire through AMD, Wikipidia, etc. web sites.

You will see that Crossfire is fading away.  Most games do not use Crossfire anymore.

0 Likes

hi there,

thanks for your reply. Useful to know that the monitors always connect to one card.

This setup is only for one game really that just added multi-gpu support and i have been offered another card for 50 pounds.
All the best

0 Likes

multi gpu and crossfire are two different technologies. Multi-GPU is DX12 only.

0 Likes

good to know. It would be easier for me then if the devs used the correct terminology. This is definately a DX11 title.

0 Likes

I strongly agree with arcticwind here. Unless you already have the additional card. I would not spend money to crossfire that older card. Crossfire support is pretty slim out there and seems to cause more issues than it helps for a lot of people. ( to those it works for yes we know you are happy and yes it does work great for some games )  IMHO I always recommend getting a single card that meets your performance needs if possible. It just works better with less aggravation getting there in my experience. Also make sure if you do go with crossfire or a higher end GPU that your power supply is up to the task. Make sure that your board supports crossfire specifically too. Just because it has another slot doesn't mean it is crossfire capable.

hi there,

Useful info, thanks alot !