cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

DDU v17.0.8.7

This in changelog,

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
4 Replies

just adding from Wagnardsoft about the latest DDU concerning goodplay​ post from here: Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.8.7 Released! - Wagnardsoft Forum :

Recommended usage:

-You MUST disconnect your internet or completely block Windows Update when running DDU until you have re-installed your new drivers.

-DDU should be used when having a problem uninstalling / installing a driver or when switching GPU brand.

-DDU should not be used every time you install a new driver unless you know what you are doing.

-DDU will not work on network drive. Please install in a local drive (C:, D: or else).

-The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safemode is always the best.

-If you are using DDU in normal mode, Clean, reboot, clean again, reboot.

-Make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).

-It is best to exclude the DDU folder completely from any security software to avoid issues.

Note: If you have issues for downloading the file, it could be one of your extension interfering with our hotlink protection.

RE: -You MUST disconnect your internet or completely block Windows Update

My advice is:
Turn off your router during driver installation, ensuring there is no way your PC/Laptop can connect to the internet.
Do not rely on Group Policy Settings or other methods that used to work in 17.09/17.03  to prevent Windows 10 Updates in 18.04.

Here is my experience with this if I leave my Router on and my machine is connected via Ethernet cable.
(Note, C:\AMD folder deleted, nothing to do with any old AMD install folders hanging around on my system. Single Hard Drive connected. System installation checks pass and are clean. DISM checks pass with no reported problems.)

The "completely block Windows Update" seems to be 'difficult' on 18.03 for me and other Windows 10 users based on my recent searching on various forums.

It is still not clear to me if this is a bug in a recent Windows Service Pack or deliberate change by Microsoft.

For whatever reason, setting Group Policies and other methods is reported as failing for some users on Windows 10 Pro 18.03 which previously worked to block driver updates on the same machine running 17.09 or 17.03.

In addition, Microsoft Windows 10 is automatically installing wrong/old AMD Drivers + AMD Crimson/ReLive for various GPU on different PC's I have tested on 18.03 and previously on 17.09, 17.03, also on Windows 8.1 64bit and on Windows 7.

You might miss that Microsoft automatic driver install, where it is installing old (wrong) AMD Driver.

It happens within 2-10 minutes of boot into Windows 10 normal mode for me, after I have run DDU in safe mode with recommended Group Policy settings to block Windows Automatic Update so it prevents Driver Updates, etc.
Windows Update is also paused, and deferred.

If I stay at my desk after reboot and login to watch for it happening I see some screen blanking/flashing when Microsoft Automatic Driver install of wrong AMD Driver is happening.

It happens quickly.

You could mistake it for a monitor cable issue  or temporary display glitch.

If I use Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display Adapter I can watch the reported Microsoft Display Adapter change to AMD R9 Fury series or R9200 series etc.

Microsoft Installed AMD Settings (again, wrong version) gets installed in shortly later, it does not auto launch.

Some people (like me)  will reboot into Windows 10 normal mode, login and then start download of new AMD Driver from AMD Website and go away from their desk for a 5-10 minute break.

Users can miss the Microsoft Automatic Driver install happening, and if they do not double check  Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display Adapter, on return to their desk, they may not notice the Microsoft Automatic Driver install happened.

Users can then run the AMD Adrenalin 18.81 installer,  thinking they have removed any driver traces by previous run of DDU in safe mode.

The Adrenalin 18.8.1 installer does not 'see'  the Microsoft Installed AMD Driver.

It does not report that Microsoft has installed wrong (old) AMD Driver and Radeon Settings (Crimson ReLive).

The Adrenalin 18.8.1 installer proceeds. It does not warn the User about the existing (Microsoft Installed) AMD Driver installation.

I do not know exactly what the implications are of running Adrenalin Installer over a previous wrong AMD Driver install.
The installation notes warn that this may result in a corrupted driver installation.

Maybe AMD Driver Team test for this situation.
I think there should be some "error trap" in the Adrenalin Installer to check their are no Microsoft installed AMD Drivers on the system.

Maybe everything is ok?

I have a bad feeling about this.

Bye.

I just updated my GPU Driver (Nvidia).  Uninstalled first using Windows Control Panel than having DDU boot my computer into Safe Mode. After cleaning and  rebooting back into Windows Desktop, Installed new GPU Driver without disconnecting the Internet. Successful install without Windows Update installing a different Graphics Driver.

When i had Windows 10 Pro - Fall Anniversary version installed, I went to Windows Group Policy and checked the box that said not to download drivers in Windows Update. Since then, Windows Update hasn't tried to install any type of drivers on my computer. Before Group Policy change, I tried the regular method of stopping the updates and using MS Hide Update APP. Neither work correctly. I used to see several GPU Drivers in Windows Update that had been installed without my knowledge. After configuring Windows Group Policy no more Drivers were downloaded or installed. I can see install drivers from the Internet using Device Manager but that is manually done.

I know that Windows Home version doesn't have Group Policy and you need to download that feature. But how well it works I don't know.  At least on my Windows 10 Pro Computer Setup, Group Policy seems to be working.

0 Likes

Hi,
OK thanks for letting me know. Some people report it works fine, others say it doesn't work.

I am running 18.03 on CBB with latest patches.
Group Policy is used prevent driver install used to work fine in 17.09 for me.
I do not know if this is a bug, a recent change or what is going on exactly.
Given that DDU recommend disconnection from the internet, and I don't trust the AMD uninstaller to do a decent job of removing corrupted/crashed driver - I have decided to stick with just disconnecting Windows 10 64bit from any form of internet connection.

Bye.

0 Likes