cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jakepauler57
Journeyman III

Is it possible to use StoreMi on a Ryzen 5 2500U

So i just bought a Hp x360 with an Ryzen 2500U and 256 GB Storage and i thought about putting a 200gb micro sd in the laptop to expand the Storage and connecting them to one fast Boot Drive with StoreMi but i dont know if StoreMi works on the Ryzen Mobile CPUs

0 Likes
3 Replies

Copied this from AMD STOREMI USER GUIDE: https://www.amd.com/system/files/2018-04/AMD-StoreMI-Users-Guide.pdf

User Guide AMD StoreMI™ is a tiered storage acceleration solution designed to run on AMD Socket sTR4 X399  or Socket AM4 400-series motherboards and Windows 10 64-bit systems.

It utilizes up to 256GB of  any solid state drive (SSD) as a fast tier, and combines it with a large-capacity mechanical hard disk  drive (or second SSD) into a single drive letter as seen by Windows 10 operating system.

AMD StoreMI is not caching solution; it utilizes advanced machine intelligence, virtualization and  automated MicroTiering™ to analyze the data blocks that are most often accessed and actually  moves those blocks to the fastest storage tier.

StoreMI operates consistently at the same  performance levels as SSDs, continuously adapting to changing storage usage patterns in real  time.  As a result, the user experiences the performance of the fastest tier SSD drive, combined with the  large capacity and low-price advantages of the mechanical hard disk in a single, large, and easy-to manage drive.

Check the following prior to upgrading your system to StoreMI:

 Your system meets the minimum configuration: AMD RyZen, 4xx series motherboard with a  minimum of 4G RAM (6G RAM to support RAM cache).

 Secure Boot is NOT enabled. Consult your system documentation for further details.

 There are no other SSD caching or AMD software RAID solutions installed.

 The BIOS SATA disk settings are set to AHCI, not RAID and there is no software RAID  installed on the system.

 Microsoft’s chkdisk or other third-party disk scan tools run error free on the boot drive

 A new unused SSD or HDD is available   If wishing to use bootable tiers > 2TB in size, the system must be configured to boot in UEFI

It would be great to see this supported on laptop chipsets, especially useful for laptop SKUs with 128GB/256GB SSDs + 1TB HDD.

Is did see a note on the FuzeDrive site that is is "coming to notebooks later this year". Which sounds promising:

FuzeDrive for AMD Ryzen FAQ

0 Likes

I imagine it might work if you buy the full FuzeDrive from Enmotus.

Not sure if it will work with an SD card though and then there is the risk of what happens if the SD card is accidently removed or soft-ejected?

If it's the 15" x360 you can add a SATA drive inside which would be a better/safer option IMO.

0 Likes