Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bigmotherwhale
Journeyman III

Broken component on Threadripper

Hello

I have bought a threadripper 1950X second hand and it has a broken component on the base, I think it is a resistor array but i do not know the value or type to be able replace it.

DSC05462.JPG

Can anyone give me some advice? I tried AMD support but i got the reply "I am sorry, but AMD does not provide any alteration or repair service." with no mention of what the component is or its value.

If i could obtain one from somewhere that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

bigmotherwhale, I have no perspective from your image - too close.  Perhaps if you zoomed out and posted another image with a circle around the defect, someone can make a comment.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello

I have taken another pic you can see the damaged component even without zoom.

Thankyou. DSC05463.JPG

0 Likes

Hmm, I would return the damaged chip asap and, btw, the smashed IC leg is next to the ring above (right side) - but on the left side the bad chip is entirely elsewhere.

0 Likes

Im not sure what you mean by "on the left side the bad chip is entirely elsewhere." the damage to the SMD on the upper right is the only damage i can see.

0 Likes

noodles59, bigmotherwhale bought the 1950X secondhand.

bigmotherwhale, did the seller claim it worked?  Have you tried it?  Have you asked the seller for a refund?  I suspect a lot of those components are capacitors to kill some of the noise on the pins.  Personally I would not attempt a repair for fear of creating a small boat anchor.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hey

It was bought as untested (ie it doesnt work!) upon inspection noticed a crack which i brushed with my fingernail, and this happened with very little force. I was quite happy to see it to be honest with you as its in all probability the reason why it doesn't work and was sold as is, i havent even tested it.

I am going to remove the component, and test the other unbroken side for resistance and or capacitance, its either a resistor or a parallel snubber (resistor and capacitor combined) i have used test probes to poke into what appears to be a black powder streak that runs between the terminals in one direction, and there is resistance to the other side.

The problem is finding the right component to replace it, i did see some resistor arrays made by Samsung that were very similar in appearance.

Or if i cant find one new, I am hoping someone on here has a broken or disassembled CPU they dont mind donating.

0 Likes

I have just taken a similar but larger component off an old CPU, this one is without a doubt a capacitor array.

When im feeling brave i will remove the one from the threadripper and test that. if it is just a capacitor it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement.

0 Likes

bigmotherwhale, you are a very brave person!  We are curious to hear your results.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Always remember that buying second hand is a buying pig in the poke--some deal that looks too good to be true probably is...;) When you buy new, you pay more--but you get a nice factory warranty with it as well.  This appears to be something the seller did deliberately, and either he told you about it in advance or he did not--in which case you should have words with him, I think...;)  Ask him why, if he himself did not do this, that he did not attempt a warranty replacement--among some other choice remarks I can think of.  But if you did knowingly buy a defective cpu thinking that you "could fix it" then you have learned an important lesson. 

Seriously, that is why I never even buy OEM, 30-day warranty cpus.  I don't care how cheap they are...;)

0 Likes

I bought this knowing too well it was a risk and that was my risk to take, the seller has done nothing wrong it was sold as untested and was priced accordingly,

If you have lots of money and can afford brand new components with warranty then good for you. I have lots of hardware that i have repaired that i would never be able to afford if it wasn't broken in the first place.

Im not sure what lesson it is that im supposed to learn from this but your answer is of no help to me especially considering the question i asked. 

0 Likes