cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

srs13rastus
Adept III

18.1.1 memory defaults to 800MHz on Vega64

Since updating to 18.1.1 I've tried multiple times to save an oc profile yet the memory always resets itself to 800MHz instead of 940MHz REGARDLESS of the settings I've applied.

Trying to load any profile has the same result memory clocks set to 800MHz.

Every time I start the PC I'm now checking memory clocks and it's always @ 800MHz.

The only reason I even noticed this was I was running FH3 and it kept crashing for no apparent reason.

Can anyone at AMD actually answer WHY this is happening?

Given the total lack of info from AMD regarding their next GPU's I'm seriously thinking about jumping on the team green bandwagon (after 8 YEARS as an AMD customer for both CPU & GPU) as I'm getting seriously narked that AMD consistently FAIL to be competitive in the HEDT GPU market.

Seems like AMD have forgotten us gamers in favour of the server market share they've missed out on since Opteron days.

Really starting to feel like a Mushroom.... Kept in the dark and fed on B*******t.....

0 Likes
14 Replies

In that game profile...enable 'Histograph'. There is a bug that doesn't load the profile (after a few restarts) and defaults to Global settings. Enabling 'histograph' is a work around.

This of course assumes you do not hae any third party graphics controllers installed on your computer..active or not. Afterburner, Trixx, Asus, etc.

Doesn't work for me the problem is it's not actually saving the memory settings I picked so even loading a saved profile the memory defaults to 800MHz and NOT the GPU's default of 940MHz REGARDLESS of what I'm doing.

It's NOT just FH3 it's every time I turn on the PC memory is at 800MHz, even if I set it to my chosen 6% core clocks and 1040MHz memory all of a sudden I'll check it and lo and behold it's back at 800MHz but the core clock is as I set it.

It also does this if I exit Wattman and go back memory is back at 800MHz. eg Wattman open it's at 1040MHz click on global settings and immediately goto Wattman memory back at 800MHz.

AMD need to fix this as it's not a hardware or even a game issue, it's a driver/software problem... Either that or I jump ship and go team green next upgrade...

0 Likes

do you click apply in wattman?

also - there was a known bug that kingfish posted: so do you use MSI Afterburner or Trixx etc?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Seriously??? OFC I clicked on apply and no I don't have MSI nor Trixx so neither apply here.

As I stated the clocks revert to 800MHz NOT the card default of 940MHz

Just rolled back to 18.7.1 and created new saved profiles and the VRAM remains as I set it and also changes when I apply a saved profile.

It also no longer drops whenever exiting Wattman so it IS a driver/software problem with ver 18.1.1 and NOT a conflict with other software....

0 Likes

yes seriously - even i who uses PCs since 386er forget sometimes to click apply etc

download your bios with GPU-Z and check it with a Fury Bios-Editor (if you dont find one on github i have to search for it)
maybe

"It also no longer drops whenever exiting Wattman so it IS a driver/software problem with ver 18.1.1 and NOT a conflict with other software...."

i dont understand that sentence: so the ram is working fine now - because it doesnt drop when exiting wattman // but than you said it is a driver issue with 18.1.1 - why not using 18.8.1 (or is it just a typo)? // how do you know its not a conflict with other software - we both dont know; and can until we eliminate all other software than game running and driver

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

"yes seriously - even i who uses PCs since 386er forget sometimes to click apply etc "

Which is why I tried it repeatedly BEFORE ranting on the forums..... Not quite THAT idiotic that I don't try these things many times over including restarting the PC several times JUST to be sure. which BTW ALSO sets the VRAM to 800MHz not the cards ACTUAL default of 940MHz

BIOS is the same as when I was on 18.7.1 eg 4018

If you read the info I supplied I MEANT in ver 18.8.1 (18.1.1 was a typo on my part) closing Wattman and re-opening it causes the RAM to default to 800MHz.

same with closing radeon settings and re-opening and entering Wattman RAM has reset to 800MHz.

in 18.7.1 it no longer drops when exiting Wattman so the problem is with the drivers or software package which includes 18.8.1.

I don't have either Trixx nor MSI afterburner or any other overclocking software other than Ryzen Master.

The point I'm making is the issue is ONLY applicable to version 18.8.1 and no others....

And no it's not actually applying any VRAM overclocks as there is no change in fps rates, even when manually setting the RAM clocks and leaving Wattman open i.e. sat still facing the cliffs on the beach with no movement in the background fps remains @ 120 as it is @ 800MHz even when it's changed to 1040MHz whereas...

In 18.7.1 make any change to VRAM and get an instant change to fps rates i.e. 800MHz it's at 120 fps apply my overclocks and it instantly jumps upto 160+fps.

Ergo RAM overclocking is NOT being applied and NOR is it saving/applying profiles correctly....

0 Likes

ok

please report that bug to: http://amd.com/report
it is most likely that we dont find a workaround for that - and as i cant test it myself without a fury i just can speculate about the error

so all you can do is using 18.7.1

maybe you can use 18.8.1 when using different correct .inf file to use the 18.7.1 while your radeon settings is 18.8.1 - or vice versa

0 Likes
stuntduck
Journeyman III

I have this same issue as well. I would revert back to the previous driver if you aren't playing Monster Hunter or WOW.  As for your rant on switching to Nvidia, while their high end cards are more powerful, the drivers for team green suffer from issues as well.  I have a Nvidia card in my living room PC and their drivers don't even have built in overclocking software.  You could also try using an aftermarket overclocking software until the next driver update. 

Thanks for the info about Nvidia guess I'll be sticking with Vega until AMD pull their fingers out their collective behinds and actually release something fast enough to run my 3 screens @ 144Hz.

Especially considering AMD pushed Eyefinity and Crossfire.... Seems to me they can't be bothered to support either feature properly anymore passing mGPU to game dev's was a massive mistake as none of them WANT to support it and AMD have YET to produce a card capable of actually running a game on 3 1080 144Hz screens without compromising on the quality settings.

Now the chatter is all 4K 4K 4K and with the advent of 120-144Hz 4K screens they'll likely fail to be able to keep up with that either... ohh well might just say screw it an get a chuffing POS console but that'd be a huge leap backwards sigh....

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

I can confirm I have also run into this issue since updating to 18.8.1. The idle memory clock is stuck at 800mhz instead of the proper 167mhz. When running a 3d application such as a game, the memory clock correctly will increase to 945mhz. However, at idle instead of 167mhz it is now 800mhz on 18.8.1.

It is worth noting that if running the monitors at 144Hz the higher memory clock value is applied instead of the low power 167mhz p-state. At 120Hz or lower, the normal behavior as of 18.7.1 and previous releases was 167mhz with an increase to 945mhz when running a game.

Workaround: In windows display settings, change the refresh rate of the main monitor (the one with the task bar) to a value less than 144hz. After doing this it can be raised to 120hz and correctly run at the idle clock of 167mhz.

0 Likes

I am also affected with this issue got nothing but problems with the HBM frequency on Vega. (random blackscreens)

but as for this particular issue you can also go to Radeon settings -> Display -> and change the Color depth to another value and back again

so from 10bit to 8bit then back to 10bit this will somehow reset the driver and HBM goes back to 167mhz idle

i also made a support ticket about this issue together with that stupid HBM blackscreen issue that i have for already a year and still not fixed

Getting random blackscreens lockups when HBM Frequency is scaling dynamically, i have to manually lock a HBM P state.

0 Likes

It doesn't cause any issues though. It's just different from normal expected behavior. On my machine I have no crashes or any problems. It's just the idle memory clock when doing nothing is 800mhz instead of 167mhz.

Here is what it looks like after I applied the workaround I stated above. Again this is idle on desktop with nothing running except Chrome, Outlook, etc. This is how it is supposed to look.

pastedImage_0.png

This is how it looks after launching Monster Hunter World and hosting a session, again nothing out of the ordinary.

pastedImage_0.png

This is on a triple monitor display where all monitors are running at 120Hz.

0 Likes

both amd and nvidia step to the next speed with multi monitors to ensure there's no issues driving multi monitor

both my r9 290 and my r9 280 step up to the next speed in a multi monitor config

0 Likes

They do that only if the monitors are not identical. If all connected displays have the same resolution, display timings, and refresh rate, then they will downclock to the lowest p-state, same as if only a single monitor is connected.

However, if using a refresh rate on the main monitor above 120hz such as 144hz, then the GPU will run the memory clock at higher p-state. In the case of Vega 56 this is 800mhz, in the case of Vega 64, this is 945mhz.

0 Likes