cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

symbiosis
Journeyman III

Error 1603 with 18./5.1,6.1,7.1 amongst others Continually

I have tried to reinstall my graphics driver to an earlier(after I foolishly thought the optional update might work) version. The problem is that I continually get the 1603 error, no matter which graphics software driver package I install. I have tried numerous suggestions to help and aid the software installation, all to no avail. I thought of going to 18.6.1, because I rolled back to it last time (and even though it doesn't say it's the steady driver on the download site, it installed) though like the others it comes up with the error. I have tried what AMD said. Also, done what others have said and cleaned out my registry keys etc with an app like Revo undo. I have also tried disconnecting my internet (at various times - to see what effect that had on the installation), that came up with a 'general package error'. I have put a ticket in, but as anyone knows, that could take several days to get answered then fixed, so in the meantime you tend to look for other solutions, So hopefully I might be able to get one.

0 Likes
5 Replies
symbiosis
Journeyman III

I did have success with getting 18.6.1 to install, though it seemed to be getting a sketchy so I thought better try update reinstall the drive. For any other software this is normally easy, but for this one it is not. I am trying all the solutions I have seen on the net and my restore is going up until a few days ago - so that doesn’t seem an option. Any other ways to help get the software installed would be gratefully accepted.

0 Likes

You say you tried lots of suggestions from the net but you didn't mention DDU.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

It would be helpful to know your computer specs as per AMD Forum: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Especially what AMD GPU Card you have installed to be sure you are using the correct driver from AMD Download.

Try this basic procedure in installing AMD Drivers on your computer:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.0.1 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum  in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

0 Likes

I did try DDU, I just did mention it. As for specs, I was writing this from my iPad and couldn’t upload them at the time. However after a short time of leaving it and a fresh perspective, I found out for my particular AV software it had to be disabled in the startup of the machine and in the services. Oh, and just if anyone looks at this needing help, and has the same AV (or not) it was Trend Micro and went through the msconfig to disable it in the services. Then re-enable once it was installed. Not when Windows is fully up and running (and disabling before installing the software). Thankyou for you help and suggestions however.

0 Likes