Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sky36
Journeyman III

Newest Drivers won't install R9 M290X

Hello everyone,

I have searched this issue all over the internet. I'm running an Alienware 18 (Laptop) from 2014

X2 R9 M290X (As I understand is a 8970?)

Intel i7 4910 MQ

Windows 10 64 bit

32 gigs of RAM.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers with the Guru program+ a system reformat....no luck. I have reformatted about 5 times so far. I have tried installing old drivers, after this reformat today AMD can't detect my hardware. I can't install the latest drivers, during installation the screen goes black, I can still hear background noise when this occurs.  I've tried installing the R9 series of drivers and even the 8900 style of drivers. No luck. DX DIAG and my system tells me im running drivers from 2015

I don't know what else to do, I am planning to build a new PC in the next few months. I just want this PC to work properly until then!

Thank you for the help!

0 Likes
16 Replies

Hello Kingfish,

Thank you for the reply. I tried this out and it did not work properly.... I am running an Intel processor and tried the latest drivers manually-the updates for my built in video card/ processor did not work, it gave me an error halfway through.I stopped all automatic updates and still there is no answer..I don't know if I am missing a step.

Thank you

0 Likes

These would be the correct Intel drivers. They must be installed first (before AMD) Downloads for Graphics for 4th Generation Intel® Processors

Laptops have issues sometimes installing these...follow this guide > Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and...

Clean install the AMD drivers using DDU Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

You must disconnect from the internet while you are uninstalling/installing the AMD drivers....do not reconnect until you are finished and have rebooted your computer. You do not need to be connected to the internet to install the graphics drivers you have already (if you followed the guide) downloaded.

DDU has new instructions..make sure you have the latest version

Will try this in tomorrow or in the next few days sir,

Quick question, When I uninstall the drivers under C/AMD , use DDU and install new drivers. Do I have to restart my PC for every step? Or just uninstall-restart......reinstall-restart? Or just one restart?

Thanks again Kingfish

0 Likes

This is a very good guide for Windows10...give it a read How to Uninstall Programs in Windows 10

Disconnect from the internet:

Uninstall the drivers from the control panel:

When it's finished uninstalling everything, reboot in to Safe Mode. (Google it if you don't know how)

In Safe Mode run DDU. When it is finished it will reboot the computer.

Install the new AMD drivers you have already downloaded.

Reboot the computer.

Reconnect to the internet.

Hello again,

I have unzipped the files...now I cant find the Intel Integrated graphics on my Device manager haha

0 Likes

I'll go into more detail:

When I try to manually install the drivers ( when it says microaoft basic drivers in device manager) i try to upload my extracted files , it gives me an error saying "the folder you specified doesnt contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure itcis designed to workcwith Windows for x64 based systems.

Other than that DDU and safe mode have bee  easy to to use, however i still get the black screen of death when installing the newest drivers.

When plug in my internet it automatically updates my drivers- it says I have the latest drivers for my M290X but the date is 2015. Likewise with the intergrated graphics.

If this is over the the top should I bring it in?

0 Likes

Please try again

0 Likes

Hey there King, more issues.

Thanks for the detailed responses. I selected the graphics file and it seems to have updated to an extent. At the end of the installation it says that there is an error installing Intel HD 4600 drivers (I noticed in the installation it had 4300 4400, etc). When I go to properties it says that the latest drivers on both cards are 2/21/2018.

I gave it a shot and decided to install the R9 290X drivers, but I got the same error and I got the black screen.

If we can figure this out I owe you a case of beer lol

0 Likes

Did you unplug/disconnect the laptop from the internet while you were doing all this? Did you disable any anti-virus programs while updating?

My internet was disabled/disconnected. However windows virus defender was running. I have to take care of a few things. I will keep trying in a few hours!

0 Likes

No luck,

It updates to 2/21/2018

"Windows encountered a problem inatalling the drivers for your device

Windows found drivers for your device but encountered and error trying to install them.

Intel (R) HD Graphics

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit their website and check the support section for drivers

0 Likes

No luck King,

I'm going to keep trying small things to see if it can work. I'm getting a new PC in the next month or so. I'll hold onto the laptop for now for travel.

Thank you for the help man! I appreciate it

0 Likes

If you are going to get a new laptop to play the most recent games...take a read through this, it may give you some new ideas > It’s Time to Call Out Laptop Manufacturers for Their (censored) CPU Throttling

0 Likes
nicktork
Journeyman III

Annotation 2019-06-27 223504.pngAnnotation 2019-06-27 223504.pngI have finally solved this and am happily running 19.6.2 on my Alienware 18 with dual m290x cards.  You basically have to buy a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable and feed the mini-DP output back in to the laptop's HDMI-In port.  The black screen issue goes away immediately.  You don't need to continue using the HDMI port forever: once the drivers are installed you can link/unlink the displays within the Radeon software, unplug the cable and use the laptop screen normally.

0 Likes