cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kianmd
Newcomer

I am unable to play any games

my system was working perfectly fine but i the updated to version 18.5.1 and when i went to launch fortnite i was told there were known issues with the driver and while playing my frame rate was significantly lower. I then updated to the optional 18.7.1 driver and now i am unable to launch any game as i am told my display driver fails when trying to launch so i am unable to play any games whatsoever. I am unsure what to do as i can only revert to as far back as version 18.5.1 which also gives me significant problems.

0 Likes
16 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

what HW?

and as usual:
run DDU in safe-mode and clean driver - reboot - than install 18.7.1 and test again

if error persists: did you modified your GPU Bios? or did you bought the card used?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Hi. I have an rx480. I have ran the update in safe mode and no i have never modified the bios of my gpu. Until now i have had no issues with running fortnite however now it physically will not load as i get a windows notification saying my  display driver has not responded. I even found help for this notification from microsoft however after following their recommended steps i had no luck.

0 Likes

run DDU in safe-mode // if you dont know what DDU is - google it

actually bubboteam posted a good link for you

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Okay so i downloaded version 18.8.1 and I'm now able to launch and play fortnite but the performance is terrible; In the past i would never drop below 70 fps on the settings i used and now even after lowering my settings i am only averaging around 40, landing tilted is a myth as i am at around 20fps. This is just frustrating now as i was running it perfectly fine before i updated my driver; any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes

Why don't you revert back to the drivers that worked? Do that through the device manager.

A new update notification is not a command to install it..it's just a notification. Read the release notes of the new driver..new drivers are 'fixes', and if there is nothing that 'fixes' a issue you are having there is no reason to install it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0 Likes

Hi i am i right in thinking you can only revert to the previous driver? if so that is 18.7.1 where i could not even launch the game; the last time my game ran properly was version 18.3.3, are you able to revert this far back? i have done 3 driver updates since, all of which have caused issues

0 Likes

You said " my system was working perfectly fine but i the updated to version 18.5.1 "

Previous drivers...assuming you have Windows 10:

Previous

0 Likes

I have searched for this since the problems occured; the ability to re download the 18.3.3 driver. Thankyou for your help i will download it now and hope this addresses my issues

0 Likes

FYI..here is where these are located:

0 Likes

After reverting back to 18.3.3 the game is now running smoothly again; although not as smoothly as before for whatever reason however i am happy with how it is now running. Thanks for your help it really is appreciated.

0 Likes

Hi. Sorry to bother again but is there any way i can pm you ? I have found a massive issue with my pc and probably the reason why all of these issues came about; I downloaded a software to monitor my cpu & gpu usage and my gpu usage is at 0% .... So it seems all my games are running on the integrated graphics of my gpu; please if you have any idea how to fix this could you get back to me, thanks.

0 Likes

Get rid of afterburner and reinstall your AMD drivers Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Please read (ULPS/Power Limit): AMD graphics performance

I recommend Open Hardware Monitor to monitor your GPU/CPU usage during gaming/heavy use. Run it in the background while your playing..check it when your through.

Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget

0 Likes

about performance i need more info of your system

also have in mind that fortnite seems unoptimized at all - but we can try some tricks

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

You have some problems in your system installation--possibly a virus--that are interfering with your applications.  What you are describing is *not* GPU driver related.  

0 Likes