cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caraballo70
Journeyman III

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Major Issues with Blizzard Games

This journey has been a living nightmare. I went from a perfect running system 2 days ago to a dead gaming PC.

Two days ago I get a pop up message to update my Video Card Driver to 18.8.1

I have the RX580 8GB Video Card. I install the update - restart the machine and get an error message from Windows - No Video Card Found.

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition no longer opens - error message. This was all from just clicking the 18.8.1 update.

OK - No problem. Delete the "AMD" Folder on the C Drive.

Go to AMD Website - Automatically Detect and Install Your Driver - It downloads. Now I have version 18.5.1

I leave it at 18.5.1 and launch Blizzard World of Warcraft - No 3D Video Card found. Game Fails to Start.

Pop up from the Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition says: Hey! You have a new update - Version 18.7.1

I update from 18.5.1 to 18.7.1 and what do you know - back to NO Video Card found and no more Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition opens after restart.

Aggravated, I wipe my DELL Gaming PC Inspiron 5675 (not even 6 months old) back to Factory Settings (Fresh Out of the Box New) that comes with Radeon Crimson Version 17.7 - If I do not touch it - everything runs fine. If I update to ANY version after 17.7 I get all the error messages above.

Any idea what is going on??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Possibly win10 is over riding the driver install(been known to happen.

Try manually downloading/saving the full driver package, then go offline(disconnect from internet). start driver install, choose custom install/clean install.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rs-install

After restart, connect back to internet.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

18 Replies

What OS ?

And whose/what driver version is showing in device manager ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hello - Thanks for asking.

I'm using Windows 10.

If I keep everything as-is (wiped clean from Factory settings out-of-the-box) computer runs perfect.

The moment I update to ANY version other than 17.7 - nothing but drama.

Why update? V18.8.1 is an update specifically for the Blizzard game I play.

RX580.jpg7

0 Likes

Possibly win10 is over riding the driver install(been known to happen.

Try manually downloading/saving the full driver package, then go offline(disconnect from internet). start driver install, choose custom install/clean install.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rs-install

After restart, connect back to internet.

Hello - Thank you for your advice.

I did exactly what you told me to do and when I restart the Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition shows 18.5.1 installed with 18.8.1 as an update (which I have not touched at this time).

Radeon 18.5.1.jpg

When I launch Blizzard World of Warcraft I get the following error message (which I did not get when I was using 17.7 noted above).

Every time I touch Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for ANY updates it's nothing but drama.

WOW error.jpg

Call Blizzard and they say that there is nothing wrong with the game - Its my Video Card and a driver issue.

I'm very close to just returning this PC back to Best Buy. Updating drivers shouldn't be a SH!T Show

0 Likes

Just for the fun of it since the Radeon Software Adrenalin keeps asking me to update to 18.8.1 - I'm going to do that now and let you know what happens....

0 Likes

Some information for the RX480 & RX580 owners seeing the 18.8.1 update cause dramas; The RX480 & RX580 drivers included are unsigned which means Windows 10 will throw them out and resort to a default driver causing the issues.

pastedImage_0.png

You can disable the signed driver requirement by using the Boot Menu

(Hold Shift down whilst Restarting Windows, Selecting [Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Option 7. Disable driver signing enforcement] to enter it).

However disabling the driver enforcement will cause issues with some Programs/Games as some anti-piracy/cheat detection programs among others will throw an error due to it (I found Fortnite's Anti-cheat side app' errors due to Disabled Driver Enforcement so I am running 18.7.1 to avoid these issues).

I hope this helps!

0 Likes
caraballo70
Journeyman III

Welcome to the mess of version 18.8.1

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition - Gone after restart:

AMD Error.jpg

Blizzard WOW Error Message:

WOW error.jpg

Display Drivers are Lost:

Lost Drivers.jpg

This all happens every time I update drivers. If I don't touch anything (update drivers) my computer runs perfect (v17.7).

Unreal - ready to just return it all and go NVIDIA/Intel - Here I go AGAIN wiping the entire computer....

0 Likes

What build/version of win10(e.g.,1803/home/pro (or insider preview/skip ahead?) ?

Why did you choose to install 18.5.1, and did you again disconnect/disable your router/ip device after manually downloading the newer driver before installing it ?

If you have multiple ssd/hdd, are you installing to main OS drive ?

Post your 'Display adapters' properties also, e.g.

0 Likes

Hello -

Yes - I followed your instructions to the letter

I only have one hard drive installed that came with the machine and never touched it.

WIN10.jpg

RX580.jpg

RX580 17.12.jpg

What you see above it how the PC came out of the box - exception all Windows updates after a fresh install.

If I  leave everything "exactly" as you see above - Computer runs perfect and ALL Blizzard games run.

At this stage the Radeon Software V17.12 runs perfect and does NOT ask me to update.

However, if I go to AMD website and download the latest version 18.8.1 my computer is a SH!T show.

0 Likes

Can you post a pic of the radeon settings Software details.

Hello - Hope this helps....

Sofrware settings.jpg

0 Likes
shonk
Adept II

user error

1.jpg

This was all from just clicking the 18.8.1 update in the Radeon Software Adrenalin program - far from "user error" - All I did was click it and it should just work not be a complete SH!T show. Glad it worked for you but we hardly have the same specs or computer - not even close.

0 Likes

My Bedroom pc has a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC (1342 Mhz) that also updated fine

oh and btw My Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC i a good 15-20% faster than the RX 480 which is  faster than your 1266 Mhz RX 580

you should do a fresh os install if you are capable

oem installs are a bloatfest

0 Likes
caraballo70
Journeyman III

goodplay​ - Thank you for your help with my issues.

After talking to DELL & Blizzard for hours I am able to finally play World of Warcraft with no errors.

The caveat is the actual game and my DELL PC won't run on the latest drivers from AMD.

There is way too much competing "Driver" installs and it's a complete SH!T show.

You have Windows 10 wanting to install old AMD Drivers. You have AMD itself trying to update drivers and of course you have DELL with it's own set of driver hardware updates - ALL of which compete with each other - run in the background with auto-updating. BIG SH!T SHOW.

So in order to play World of Warcraft on a 6 month old modern machine I can NOT update ANY drivers past the following details:

AMD 1.jpg

AMD 2.jpg

AMD 3.jpg

AMD 4.jpg

AMD 5.jpg

Computer runs fine (no errors). Blizzard Games run perfect (no errors).

I guess I'm stuck with this and it seems to work. No more updating AMD Drivers from here on out.

One big lesson learned. Avoid prebuilt Game Systems - they come with too much competing software.

All I need is Windows 10 - bare bones and next time that is what I am going to buy.

0 Likes

When/if you want to try blocking/workaround some update functions of Win10.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html

Look for the following,

Some option are not available on Home edition. I can't say what/which combo of changes still works on Win 1803( i'm staying on 1709(have pro vers.)).

And uninstall/disable dell update utility ?

Any queries on those Win10 mods would be better answered on that forum.

You may want to think about upgrading to Pro vers. at some time(for the extra control of the OS).  

yrma
Adept I

I have all the above problems too. built the computer myself and since on a budget right now i settled for the ryzen 5 and wait on buying a gfx.

strange thing is i didnt install or update any drivers for the cpu to start with and everything was perfect then thought to hell with it and got the most upto date drivers now starcraft 2 and diablo wont load. SC says cant detect and D3 is saying directx problem. does anyone know if the 18.5.1 version works with the games? its only 18.8.1 ive tried so far. total nightmare like

0 Likes

Update! I just got sick if it all. Sold my computer. Went Alienware with Intel i7 and Nvidia 1080 8GB Vidro card. Very happy. No driver issues. Best decision I ever made moving away from AMD.

0 Likes