Hello all.

Recently I upgraded some of my hardware and my current build is:

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G YD2400C5FBBOX

ASROCK AB350M PRO4 90-MXB520-A0UAYZ

8GB DDR4 3200MHz, UDIMM, Kingston HyperX Fury

SSD 256GB A-Data Ultimate SU800

Western Digital blue 1TB

Silverstone SST-ST40F-ES

and I'm running a freshly installed Win 10 all updates are up to date.

I've started experiencing random restarts when the PC is idle and I'm not using it. The same problem does not occur when I'm using it.

Event log record:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Followed by:

Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance

Security and maintenance log:

Description

AMD Software Stopped working

Faulting Application Path: C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.8.1-Aug3\Bin64\RadeonInstaller.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: RadeonInstaller.exe

Application Version: 9.0.0.8

Application Timestamp: 5b638238

Fault Module Name: OLEAUT32.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.48

Fault Module Timestamp: ebd737a3

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000000a548

OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.121

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: f213

Additional Information 2: f21312f73705349bc852a5563ec3e295

Additional Information 3: 2d0b

Additional Information 4: 2d0bed6b8559866002a0fcbc6e9cf255

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: b283ca113397adf24a8555255d351fb3 (1911027235854557107)

Power settings are set to high performance, I've set the Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after to Never

The computer was recently cleaned and the pastes were changed. I've tried re-installing the drivers multiple times, it doesn't change anything.

Please let me know if you have any idea how to fix this, as it is driving me crazy. Also if more information is needed.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
seiryu
Adept I

So, I'm writing this after a few months of hardships and testing.

It was indeed an issue with the motherboard.

I got a replacement from the vendor - the exact same model and surprise... a couple of months later the same issues mentioned above sufficed.

How I solved this? Got an ASUS Prime motherboard.

After all that I would NOT recommend ASRock to anyone. I understand a piece of hardware can be faulty and I tried all I could to make it work, but two one after the other showing the exact same faults? It's ridiculous. Still I am glad this has finally been solved - never had a single problem since I switched to ASUS.

Anyhow. Thank you all for the advice and input.

This topic can now be considered solved

View solution in original post

20 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

seiryu, what is the Wattage of your power supply?  You should be running the latest AMD chip set and video drivers from the AMD driver DL site (use manually).  With the drivers will come the Ryzen Blanaced power plan.  Please use that.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello,

Here are the full specs of the power supply:

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

I have downloaded and manually installed the latest drivers for both chip set and video.

I am ruining balanced plan on my Windows, not sure how to use the Ryzen one?

0 Likes

I also noticed the display flickering while working on the computer.

For example the entire Chrome window will go black for a split second, yet the windows taskbar will still be visible while this is happening.

0 Likes

ASRock has a new BIOS that came out recently. If this BIOS is newer try updating the BIOS on your Motherboard. It will make it more compatible with your Ryzen: ASRock > AB350M Pro4

4.902018/7/247.26MBInstant FlashHow to Update1.Update Update PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.4
2.Improve PCIe detection with Raven Ridge CPU
3.Keep the XMP setting after system restoring from G3 state.
* If the current BIOS version is older than P3.40, please update BIOS to P3.40(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version.
Global China

The original BIOS for this APU is version 4.50. Two newer updates have come out since then. One involves making the M.2 SSD more compatible with the motherboard.

Not sure if your SSD Model number is the same one listed under Compatible Devices for your Motherboard: ASRock > AB350M Pro4 .

The closest one I found was this one:

ADATA256GBSATA32280ASU800NS38-256GT-C
ADATA256GBSATA3ASU800SS-256GT-C

The first one is M.2 connection and the second one is a SATA connection.

As for your Memory, I googled the RAM MEMORY. Is this the one you have installed: FURY DDR4 memory | HyperX

FURY Memory Black - 8GB Module - DDR4 3200MHz CL18 DIMM

Part Number: HX432C18FB2/8

Specs: DDR4 , 3200MHz , CL18 , 1.2V , Unbuffered , Spec Sheet PDF

Timings: 3200MHz, 18-21-21, 1.2V; 2933MHz, 17-19-19, 1.2V

If it is, then it is not listed in the QVL List for the Raven Ridge APU for your Motherboard:ASRock > AB350M Pro4

Here are all the compatible RAM MEMORY for your Ryzen APU for 3200 Mhz for the HYPER X Models of Kingston:

DDR4HyperX320032008GBHX432C16PB3K2/16Hynix M theSS2v
DDR4HyperX320029334GBHX432C16PBK4/16SS2v
DDR4HyperX320032004GBHX432C15PBK2/8SS2v

I don't know if updating the BIOS and installing Compatible RAM MEMORY and SSD will fix your problem with intermittent Reboots but it sure won't hurt in preventing future issues of incompatibility hardware with your motherboard.

When it reboots by itself:

1) Are there any BSOD or Error messages that popup before it restarts?

2) Does it reboot as though you hit the Power or Restart Button on your computer case?

If it reboots like 2) then it is either a Power or Overheating issue or something possibly may be incompatible with the motherboard.

This website gives some troubleshooting tip for the type of problem you are having: Fix: Computer Randomly Restarts Windows 7, 8 and 10 - Appuals.com .

0 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply!

I am gonna go ahead and upgrade the BIOS, as it is now 4.70

My SSD is indeed ASU800SS-256GT-C from your list.

I am also a bit skeptical on spending a few hundred bucks on a theory, so I'd rather have changing hardware as a worst case scenario option.

Thank you for the advise tho!

As for your questions, I can not answer as it happens when I'm not on the PC and I don't see what happens right before the reboot. Although there has been a new development: now sometimes I get freezes and hard hangs instead of reboots. When I leave the PC idle and come back to it a couple hours later I can see the desktop is unresponsive, the clock in the taskbar is frozen at some time in the past and no commands are accepted from the mouse and keyboard. Not even the caps lock activates when pressed.

0 Likes

If your RAM MEMORY is not listed on the QVL List it could be causing the problems due to incompatibility issues with Ryzen.  Ryzen are pretty sensitive to the type of RAM MEMORY installed.

See if you can borrow one RAM MEMORY module that is listed and install it (8 gigabyte stick) and see if the problems keep occurring. if not contact ASRock Support and find out if the RAM MEMORY you have installed will work on your motherboard with the Ryzen you have installed.

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for the advise, I will contact ASRock and ask them that.

0 Likes

Okay, so I now know exactly what happens, since it hard hung while I was using it this time.

So after the freeze, it remained unresponsive for 10 mins or so then restarted by itself.

Event log shows only Kernel-Power 41, Security and Maint log: The previous system shutdown at 10:06:12 PM on ‎8/‎11/‎2018 was unexpected.

0 Likes

googled the event log error and Tom's Hardware seems to indicate possibly a PSU issue.How to fix Windows 10 error Event ID 41 ‘Kernel-Power’ - Windows 10

To rule out a bad PSU, download a free diagnostic program called OCCT. It is about the only diagnostic program that stress tests PSU. It also stress tests CPU and GPU. You can download it from their website here: Home

Note: If your PSU is a cheap or failing PSU, this test may cause it to be damaged. Otherwise it should run without any problems.

Install and run OCCT and start the PSU test. This test is basically running both the CPU and GPU tests of OCCT at the same time putting maximum stress on the PSU.

If you run the PSU test and your computer shuts down almost immediately, it means you have a issue with your PSU under heavy stress.

If it should start and runs, check the PSU Output voltages. The three most important ones are the 12 vdc, 5.0 vdc, and 3.3 vdc. These will be shown constantly while the test is running.

If the PSU test passes, then try running the CPU test and see if that passes.

Note: If you don't have a separate PCIe GPU Card installed and are just using the Ryzen Integrated Graphics, the 400 watts PSU should be sufficient for your computer. But if you have a separate PCIe GPU card installed, 400 watts will be too underpowered for most modern GPU cards.

This is just an example of the PSU needed with a Ryzen 5 2400g APU installed. AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - PSU Calculator - Build y8DZzi

0 Likes

Thanks, seiryu.  If your power supply is really only 400 Watts, then that could well be your problem.  I would really suggest 750 Watts, but a 650 Watt will probably do you.  To go to the Ryzen Balanced power plan - WinKey-i, click System - Power & sleep - Additional power settings. If you do not see the Ryzen plan, click Show addition plans.  If it does not show there, then you do not have the AMD Chip set drivers installed or you have not done a Restart since installing them.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello, John,

Thank you for the reply.

I am confused tho how this can be a power supply problem, when as I mentioned above the issue only occurs when the pc is idle with barely any programs running on the background. While when I am actively using it, playing games, browsing or even overclocking nothing happens?

I am testing the Ryzen power plan now.

0 Likes

seiryu, I agree with you.  Sometime these things are very confusing.  I started Ryzen with an 1800X with a very similar problem - never froze on heavy load, just when doing much of nothing.  It turned out to be an MB problem requiring an RMA.  The diagnosis was to run one stick in each of the slots.  I would leave the machine running, idle, all night or until it crashed.  Tried each stick, one at a time in each slot.  Mine turned out to be a bad slot pair.  A1 and A2 failed, all sticks ran fine in B1 and B2.  Took some time, but was very obvious.  In the long run, I think you will definitely need a more powerful supply.  Enjoy, John. 

EDIT: Please look in "C:\Windows\Minidump" and see if there are any files.  If so, please compress the folder and attach it here.

0 Likes

Hi John,

Can you please elaborate "MB problem requiring an RMA", as I am not familiar with those terms?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes

seiryu, MB is Main Board and RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization.  I asked ASRock to give me an RMA for my MB.  They e-mailed me a RMA number and instructions on how to return the bad board.  I got a new one in a week or two, problem solved!  Do you see any files in Minidump folder?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Hello, there's been some new development.

The hard hanging stopped, just as it started - unexpectedly.

So for now I don't get any freezes or restarts, yet when I am using Chrome it flashes black for a split second and then is back to normal, again while the taskbar is visible during the whole ordeal.

I will keep monitoring the progress and let you know if there are any new developments.

Thanks for all the help so far!

0 Likes

If this occurs in a browser like Chrome. Go to settings and disable "HARDWARE ACCELERATION". This feature seems to cause many problems with certain users using browsers.

0 Likes

Done, will monitor now.

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Turns out it was a faulty motherboard.

I had it changed and the issues now seem to have been resolved.

I will keep testing for another week or two.

Thank you for all the help!

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

So, I'm writing this after a few months of hardships and testing.

It was indeed an issue with the motherboard.

I got a replacement from the vendor - the exact same model and surprise... a couple of months later the same issues mentioned above sufficed.

How I solved this? Got an ASUS Prime motherboard.

After all that I would NOT recommend ASRock to anyone. I understand a piece of hardware can be faulty and I tried all I could to make it work, but two one after the other showing the exact same faults? It's ridiculous. Still I am glad this has finally been solved - never had a single problem since I switched to ASUS.

Anyhow. Thank you all for the advice and input.

This topic can now be considered solved

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old post...but specifically which model of Asus Prime motherboard did you get to solve this problem? Thanks.

0 Likes