cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

congqq2222
Journeyman III

Is this Epyc 7601 an engineering sample?

Just got it from ebay and it has no EPYC logo on the surface.

Is it an ES version?

Thanks for help guys.

微信图片_20180808134934.jpg

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

congqq2222, don't have a clue but I would suggest you be very careful of a product with no Logo.  The .jpg file name at the bottom does not show an image.  At the top of the Post window is an icon for inserting an image.  Hover you mouse over and click on it to upload your file.  It would be fun to see.  To contact AMD please open a Online request using the AMD website.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks John,

But I have no idea where I should post the question Amd could see.

misterj <amd-external@jiveon.com>于2018年8月9日 周四上午8:14写道:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Is this Epyc 7601 an engineering sample? in Processors

0 Likes

congqq2222, I suggest you go here and open a Technical Support Ticket.  Good luck, John.

0 Likes

EPYC is a Server CPU thus the best place to ask your question is here: AMD Server Gurus .

Users there would be familiar with EPYC CPUs and might be able to advice and answer your question.

EDIT: Yes it would be a good idea to contact AMD EMAIL SUPPORT.  AMD Support will probably want to know the Serial Number and upload a photo to determine if you have a legitimate EPYC ES CPU.

Found this at a Website that shows EPYC ES photo and a regular EPYC from AMD: AMD EPYC 7601 an Engineering Sample - how does it look like? | ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz Forums

From the link in the image from Ebay: AMD 32 Core 1.9 GHz EPYC CPU Engineering Sample 2S1905A4VIHF4 Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 | eBay

Does your EPYC ES CPU Look like this one?

0 Likes

This was my post on ServeTheHome.

So, what I have founded out:

The first-generation (Naples) EPYC CPUs could be without an "EPYC" label on the lid if the CPU was produced before the certain date (early-produced CPUs). So, they don't have an "EPYC" logo on the lid, but it's the only difference. They're the same like the ones with a logo. And this refers not only to 7601. See the attached picture.

ES/QS CPUs usually have a writting or a sign on the lid that shows it's a ES/QS.

You can also find it out in BIOS, CPU-Z or hwinfo utilites. I have tested CPUs with no and with an "EPYC" logo on the lid , so, if BIOS/CPU-Z/hwinfo shows it as a production unit there's no difference at all.

1.jpg2.jpg

0 Likes
sbski
Adept I

I might be able to help. I am part of a small group who might be able to help figure this out if you are willing to run some tests on it. It might be worth it to look at CPU-Z to see what it says. If it is an engineering sample, that's awesome. That means you can probably overclock it if you wanted to. 

0 Likes

I didn’t work with eng. samples, but I can say that you can overclock a production unit. Der8auer did this on ASUS RS700A-E9-RS12 platform. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTVyE37uglc 

0 Likes