cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

risa2000
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3 2200g and display "wake-up" video corruption (Win 10)

I am facing some video signal problem when waking up the monitor and I need some help

The build is:

ASUS Prime x470-Pro (latest BIOS 4011)

Ryzen 3 2200g

G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX) (2x8GB) (run at XMP profile using DOCP)

Samsung EVO 960

Windows 10 Pro (fresh install with all the updates, latest chipset drivers 18.10.0418 and radeon 18.5.1 unified driver)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (no official support for RavenRidge yet, but the desktop runs anyway with some kernel warnings)

Eizo FlexScan S2231W (1680x1050@60Hz)

I have to use "converter" cable to connect the PC to the monitor as the monitor only has DVI + VGA ports and the motherboard has DP and HDMI ports. In specific situation I observe strange noise video when I "wake-up" the Win from idle state (Win 10 are set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes, but never to go to sleep, so the machine idles only).

The steps to reproduce it are following:

1) Wait until the OS puts the display in stand-by

2) Power off the display using Power button

3) "Wake up" the OS by moving the mouse, or hitting the keyboard, while having the monitor powered down

4) Power on the monitor

Using those steps I can reproduce it anytime. The result looks like this:

monitor_noise.jpg

Most of the time it is just the noise, few times I got the error displayed by the monitor, suggesting the video frequency was out of spec:

monitor_signal_error.jpg

The frequencies for pclk and hsync seems a bit odd though as I could not fit them on any reasonable resolution at 60Hz.

On the other hand, if I do not power off the monitor and leave it in stand-by (skipping point 2) above) it seems to work fine too. Also if I switch steps 3) and 4) i.e. powering up the monitor before "waking-up" the OS.

The other observation I did:

1) It happens on both interfaces HDMI and DP using corresponding converter cables

For DP->DVI I used:

https://www.alza.cz/premiumcord-displayport-dvi-d-interface-shielded-2m-d2294781.htm

CSL - 2m HQ Premium DisplayPort auf DVI Kabel |: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

For HDMI->DVI I used:

KabelDirekt 1m HDMI > DVI 24+1 Adapterkabel - TOP: Amazon.de: Elektronik

2) It happens regardless the memory overclocking (I tried XMP profile @ 3200MHz and default config @ 2400 MHz)

3) It does not happen in Ubuntu (using any cable and any memory config)

When the problem happens and I disconnect the cable and reconnect it again it fixes the problem and image is clear again. Power cycling the monitor helps too.

When the problem happens and I remote desktop to the machine the remote screen is also fine.

Considering all circumstances I assume there is a problem with setting up the correct video output signal, when monitor is off and it is not corrected by turning the monitor on. Considering the different results from different OSes (drivers/firmwares) I am more inclined to believe it is the problem with drivers rather than with the hardware, but I am really clueless how to continue the debugging, or how to report it.

EDIT June 8, 2018: I am reediting this topic as some assumptions I made in the original message (based on anecdotal experience) turned out to be false. Now I found a way to reproduce this problem easily and can give more precise information.

EDIT August 6, 2018: Replaced video link with a picture insert.

0 Likes
8 Replies
bengalih
Journeyman III

I've got the exact same issue.

- Ryzen 3  2200G

- ASRock B350 Pro4 ATX

- G.SKILL F4-2666C15D-8GVR

- Windows 10 Enterprise x64 1803

Every time system resumes from display sleep/standby I get the noise shown in the OP photo.

Unplugging or power-cycling  display puts it back to normal.

I've got a replacement CPU coming today and will update with more info.

0 Likes

EDIT:  The below is contradicted as this morning I turned on from display standby and got the noise again!!

Therefore the CPU did *NOT* fix the issue.  I'm leaving what I typed (the previous night) below just for more data points on the issue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(original text - disregard the fact that the replacement CPU fixed the issue - it did not!!)

So I'm pretty sure this came down to a bad CPU.

I was having the colorful "noise" as mentioned by the OP (reattaching picture to this post for posterity in case the google photos link is removed):

noise.png

This was happening in two different scenarios:

1) Happened several times after first full boot-up of Windows after install.  I had been doing lots of installs to test things out and it probably occurred about 2 out of 6 times.

2) As mentioned above it was happening when the display resumed from standby after falling asleep.

It did not happen *every* time the display resumed but the majority of times.  I did some experimentation and it seemed that if I fixed the issue by either unplugging the display cable or power cycling the monitor then the issue would happen again on next resume.  If instead I let the noise stay on and waited for the display to enter standby (set to 1 minute for testing) that it seemed to resolve itself after it came out of standby the next time.

None of the tests above were 100% fool-proof, but absolutely if I rebooted and let the display time out half a dozen times in testing at least 2-3 times it would cause this issue.

This persisted across several OS loads, 2 motherboards (I recall #1 scenario happening at least once or twice on first motherboard) and two completely different brands of RAM modules set at different speeds (both using XMP profiles and also manual tweaking).

I then replaced the Ryzen 2200G with a second one I had ordered.  Unfortunately the second one came with a couple of bent pins, but I was able to straighten them.

After running through a new OS reinstall and a dozen display off tests I can't seem to replicate the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:  See above - the issue *was replicated* with the new CPU at least once.  Therefore I don't believe the CPU was the culprit.

As this issue has persisted with different RAM, two motherboards (same models) and two 2200G chips, the issue must be the motherboard or the CPU.

As the OP had a different motherboard than me, I think we can say that this is an issue with the 2200G chip.

0 Likes

What kind of the cable/connectors do you use? Do you have a straight connection or some kind of convertor cable as I do (DP<-->DVI)? Since I was not observing the problem on Ubuntu install I finally concluded that the problem lies in the combination of OS/driver with the hardware and possibly the cable as it seemed the monitor detection (or mode detection) did not work on Windows 10.

I cannot however prove it *did* work on Ubuntu, maybe it was just a coincidence or Ubuntu simply does the things differently.

Anyway, I have since then given the machine to someone else, who uses different monitor and I have not see this problem again. Instead I started observing some new video signal problems, but this time in Ubuntu or in BIOS  (but not Windows). The other monitor is even older than mine and have even smaller resolution and thus the frequency range and I suspect that 2200G does not cope very well with low res/low freq displays.

0 Likes

The issue is happening to me using either a standard VGA connector or a standard DVI connector.

My monitor supports both inputs and I have tried with both.

It is an older Acer AL2216 monitor, and according to Google specs are:

Native Resolution 1680 x 1050

Horizontal Refresh Rate 82 kHz

Vertical Refresh Rate 76 Hz

This is my only external monitor as it is mostly used for system builds and headless server emergency.  My other systems are laptops or are hooked up to TV displays so I don't have anything else to test with.  Needless to say I have never seen the monitor behave like this with any other system.

A few other data points:

When I first built this system I got this "noise" on the first boot of Windows once or twice.  By first boot I mean first full boot after setup completes.  IIRC this was before I had even installed any Vega drivers.

Also when I completed the build I moved the system back to its spot as an HTPC and hooked it up through my Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver. (HDMI)  I was unable to get the computer display pulled up on the screen (previously I had a Llano system with no output issues plugged into same port).  I messed around for over an hour but the only thing I was getting was a few garbled green streaks near the top of the screen.  The screen looked the same whether I tried to boot into BIOS or windows.  I had to remove this from passing through my Onkyo and instead hook it directly to my TCL's HDMI input where it displayed OK.

This is definitely not an *external* hardware issue - unless you want to discuss compatibility (as you suggest).  The Acer is about 10 years old and the receiver about 7 (in terms of technology).  Still, absolutely 0% reason a GPU should not be able to output to these.

I had an old Athlon X2 build that I transplanted into a relative's case because her motherboard died.  I then transplanted my Llano HTPC components into that case.  Finally I build this new Ryzen build in my HTPC case as an upgrade.  You can see I've been building AMD systems for quite some time but I think that time has finally come to an end.  I've never had so many problems with a new build.  The Llano - which also had integrated GPU had no issues like this that I recall.  That was a rock solid chip.  With the 2200G I'm having all these display issues not to mention memory configuration.  When you make it known that the chip performs best at 2666+ RAM speeds, but then actually consider anything over 2133 an overclock and require hours and hours of OC tweaking and stability testing to ensure it functions is just ludicrous.

I didn't want to spend that much on a system upgrade this time around and was hoping just for a 50%+ improvement over my Llano build.  The good news is that this system will act mainly as a Plex server for at least the coming year.  I don't forsee it doing much else and when it comes time to re-purpose it I can probably upgrade from the 2200G to another AM4 for a moderate price.

I've stuck with AMD for the price point - especially with the integrated GPU chips, but it just isn't worth it anymore unless you have the ability to devote literally weeks of time tweaking a system.  I'm not sure why anyone but a teenager on a budget who has more time than money would deal with this.  I've realized that while I plan to to play games with these systems, I never do - and so even basic Intel graphics will work fine for me.  I'm so tempted to just return all this while I still can and build an Intel rig.

0 Likes
andreylitv
Journeyman III

I observe same issue on Ryzen 2400G + MSI B350M PRO-VDH.

Usual it reproduce after coming monitor from sleep  mode. It reproduce in windows and don't reproduce in bios.

Also I can reproduce it if enable and disable monitor.

My monitor HP LP 2065, I use DVI-D cable.

I tried to use RX Vega driver instead Vega 11, but still observe issue. Is any idea how fix it? Is it possible or need return motherboard with CPU to seller.

It extra bad, because I see that AMD can't fix this issue long time and don't wont support ryzen apu ((

0 Likes
andreylitv
Journeyman III

I found how solve this issue.

Need disable HDCP in Radeon settings. My old monitor don't know HDCP. So looks like GPU try connect to monitor via HDCP when it enabling.

Безымянный.png

0 Likes

This is an interesting observation. My monitor supports HDCP (as verified when connected with direct DVI-DVI cable to a discreet GPU), but maybe the adapter cable DP-DVI, or HDMI-DVI mangles HDCP in a way which makes AMD GPU confused. Unfortunately I can no longer test this hypothese.

0 Likes

HDCP has other standarts (1.3, 2.x, etc).

So it's explain why you don't observe issue on Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu don't know about it and it's good)

0 Likes