cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xmobster5
Journeyman III

Will my x470 MSI be able to run the new AMD Ryzen 2920x threadripper?

Hi, I recently bought a msi x470 motherboard M7 AC. I was going to purchase the ryzen 2700x but now the new threadrippers are coming out. I want to know if I pre-order the 2920x if it will work with my x470 motherboard.

Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144174

0 Likes
4 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

No.

The MSI motherboard uses the AM4 socket.  The Ryzen 2700x processor uses the AM4 socket.

Threadripper uses the sTR4 socket.

0 Likes

Great... So should I purchase the x399 or wait until the x500 series of motherboards come out?

0 Likes

xmobster5, I would suggest you wait.  I do not work for AMD and have heard nothing about an X500.  Please post a link, because I can find no references.  I have heard that the MB vendors will release an upgrade kit to the current X399 boards to help the VRM deliver the needed current.  I, personally, would stay away from that whole idea.  I may consider the 2990X, but will wait till things settle down, especially prices.  The latest release rumor I have heard for TR2 is 8-13-2018, less than a week.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: anandtech website has a good article on TR2.  Pre-orders started 8-6-2018 and availability 8-13-2018.  NewEgg and Amazon have them on their site.

I would wait for the newer motherboards to come out.

I would get the motherboard, processor & Ram at the same time, for the least amount of compatibility issues.

0 Likes