Did you mean: 

Processors

bengalih
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2200G Vega Drives crash windows when RAM speed is above 2400

System specs:

• AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
  • ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX mobo
  • G.SKILL F4-2666C15D-8GVR (DDR4 2666\Timing 15-15-15-35\CAS Latency 15\Voltage 1.2V)

RAM is detected at 2133 by BIOS.

I can change to 2400 or 2666 using XMP profile and base OS appears to be stable.

Also, Passmark memtest86 reports no errors in 4 complete passes when running at 2666.

However, as soon as I attempt to load/install the Ryzen Vega display drivers (tried multiple versions) the system crashes with a black screen (signal still goes to monitor).

On a new OS build running 2666 when installing the drivers I get the black screen crash during driver install.

If I do the configuration with RAM set to 2133 then everything works, but when I switch back to 2666 I get the Windows logon screen for about 2-3 seconds on boot and then it crashes black again in the same way.

I don't understand how Windows seems completely stable and Passmark passes all tests at 2666 but the system crashes when attempting to use the drivers.

Is this really a memory issue?  I have some people saying that the APU may be bad - but if that is the case why does it work at 2133/2400?

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

bengalih, please look in folder "C:\Windows\Minidump".  If there are any files in the folder, please compress the folder and attach it to your thread.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

misterj​ - No minidump file is being created.

I have confirmed that minidump is enabled and that the directory exists, but nothing is in there.

To be clear I am not getting a BSOD.  I am getting a completely black screen.

There is still a signal going to my monitor (as the status light is green not orange).

Windows is definitely going off-line as a continuous ping from a remote machine shows several ping responses between network initialization and when (apparently) the video drivers enable.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks, bengalih.  I am struggling at this time and need some more thought.  Are you running the latest AMD (DLed from AMD site) and what Power Plan are you using?  I recommend Ryzen™ Balanced.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

It looks like I was able to get past this by changing my timings to even numbers AND disabling gear down mode (GDM).

I'm still testing system for stability but I am able to boot into Windows and have it initialize the Vega drivers.

0 Likes