cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

abaddon
Journeyman III

Games freeze and crash with R9 270x

I upgraded to Ryzen a few weeks back and ever since then none of my games have been working properly. I can play for a while, (usually a couple minutes to half an hour), but then it freezes and either crashes to desktop, or freezes completely and I'd have to force a restart. The event viewer usually lists it as "display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Other times games crash and the whole PC crashes.

Memtest came back fine but Aida 64 fails the memory test so I'm confused to whether this is a software or hardware problem. Otherwise I've tried all the good stuff like reinstalling drivers, clean installing Windows, messing with ram clock speed, etc. I even downgraded the driver to 17.1 from 18.5.1 but it still persists. Any Ideas? I have an R5 1600, MSI B350 Gaming Pro, Asus R9 270X, Kingston DDR4 1x8 GB, and a Evga 500w W1.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Any memory failure is bad news.

All motherboard manufacturers will publish a list of supported memory for their mother boards, typically on the information page or a subsequent support page. It should be easy to find. If the memory you bought is not on it, then you may need to return it and get memory that is from the list of supported memory.

Next possible issue is that your 500w power supply is the bare minimum for that card and that was specced with hardware at the time it was released. You always want to give your power requirements some breathing room.

There is a free utility called OCCT from OCBASE_com you can use that will test power supply and graphics that may help pinpoint your issue.

Next also try raising the power limit slider to its maximum in radeon settings. Some cards just need a little more headroom for power. Set your system to High Performance too not balanced. If you are on Windows 10 in windows settings/gaming disable all game features.

Also when you upgraded a few weeks back did  you get a whole new system or add new hardware to an existing Windows installation? If you did the later you will likely need to load Windows fresh again.

Report back if none of that helps and we can go from there.

0 Likes

I checked MSI's compatibility chart and my memory is supported. My power supply could be the issue, but if it was failing wouldn't I have more issues? My games freezing and crashing is the only thing wrong with this system so far. I raised the power limit in Radeon settings and I was able to play for longer, but eventually games crashed again. I've reinstalled Windows multiple times at this point and I doubt I'm installing the drivers wrong. (But with the way Windows 10 operates I could be wrong). I'm not sure if this would help, but I installed Linux at one point just to see if the issues carried over. It was way more stable than Windows 10 with the games I was able to play, but eventually crashed.

I'll try the utility you recommended in a bit. Something tells me I'm gonna have to buy a new psu and gpu.

0 Likes

You issue seems power related either you have a bad card or bad psu IMHO. Now with a bad card it doesn't mean it is really not operational. It just may mean you have one that won't be stable at the frequency it is supposed to be. You can RMA it with the manufacturer if it is under warranty. With the power supply would you have more issues. Well your GPU draws the most power when gaming so no, probably not. This is why I said to run OCCT and check them both out. I doubt it is windows if you have done all that. The fact that you raised the power limit and it is better tells me it is power too. You can try to underclock that card a bit as well if you cant RMA it.

0 Likes