cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sanael
Adept I

R9270x Black screen

So, I have been using same PC for the last 3 years and a half, updated windows to 10 around a year back, no major problems. But last night, without updating anything driver or OS related, the screen froze and I had to turn off the PC. Today, when I tried to boot it up again, I constantly got a black screen when windows logon should appear. Since changing to the integrated GPU didn't seem to make a difference I blamed it on the OS and did a clean W10 install. Now both integrated intel card (up to 1920x1080) and the 270x (on 1024x768) behave normally, but when I try to install the latest AMD drivers the screen goes black (regardless if using the R9 or the intel integrated card) and I have to reboot the computer.

Any explanation/solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution
sanael
Adept I

Ok, just received my gtx1050 today, nothing out of the ordinary but still quite the improvement. And so far so good, so it was definitely a fried GPU, maybe because of it being 3 years old, maybe because some malfunctioning caused by the new drivers... definitely not for pushing it too far, though. Hopefully this one won't meet the same end the last 3 AMD cards did. Thanks to all those who tried to help!

View solution in original post

22 Replies

The R & HD series cards have issues with the last few drivers. Run DDU (display driver uninstaller) from wagnardsoft_com from SAFE MODE. You can google how if you don't know. The last driver that works okay with the R series is 18.3.4. If you really aren't a gamer or are a gamer but don't need the latest driver and just want a solid, stable driver download 17.7.1 and install it. You can get those previous drivers here. Previous    Make sure all Windows (even optional especially .net)  and your Intel drivers are fully up to date. Then install the older AMD driver of your choice. Then keep your fingers crossed AMD releases a current driver fixing this issue of black screens. I have reported this to AMD my self many times. amdmatt

Please do report this issue to AMD directly they don't see them in these USER TO USER forums: AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes

Well, thanks for the suggestions Pokester. I did try some previous versions, but not as far back as a year ago. I'll try the 17.7 and see if it makes a difference.

Btw, didn't know about this reporting form. Of course I'll be reporting it ASAP. Hopefully they fix it and we can get back to using our cards without rolling back to a year old drivers, cause it seems there's a lot of people suffering from similar issues.

0 Likes

That didn't work either, same problem, black screen mid installation, only with adrenaline ones installation seemed to fail, so everything went back to normal after reboot. This time it must have gone further, cause after the reboot I went back to my original problem where I'd have a black screen at windows start, regardless if with the integrated intel graphics or with the 270x. Luckily this time the rollback to a previous restore point did work, and didn't have to fresh install W10 again.

What I can't really understand is why AMD drivers, even if causing a malfunction with the card, would mess up with the integrated intel graphics output at all, even with the 270x unplugged. This is starting to really bug me. If someone else has some suggestions, I'm open to anything, really

0 Likes

I have that same problem , problem chip failure hardware failure change the display board

0 Likes

I very luckily saw this was an issue before and having had these cards decided to test to see if the issue was real or not. It is very real and I let amdmatt​ know about this. I saw the guy claim it ruined his card. I made sure since I was looking for this to happen to immediately unplug the PC when the screen went dark, for some they hang on different colors like red, green or blue. This may depend on how it is hooked up, I don't know? I am seeing more and more reports of this same thing here and in other tech sites. I have no idea if AMD is even working on it. I have mentioned back to Matt on many threads but he has not talked with me on any progress update to a future driver that works properly again on HD 7xxx, R7 & R9 series cards. All I can tell anyone is if their card still works to reload the 18.3.4 or earlier driver or back to 17.7.1 for probably the best driver ever on those cards IMHO. 

A black screen you now get during driver installation could now be something different especially if loading the older driver. Make sure you have your Windows fully up-to-date all optional updates, everything especially the .net stuff. Have the driver you want to install ready.  Run DDU again, and I can't stress this enough, you have to do it from safe mode. Shutdown and unplug from the internet and install the driver. See it that doesn't get you through the install process.

0 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, I was terribly ill yesterday. Did a last couple tries making sure everything else was up to date (which pretty much was) and installing both a 17.x and a 18.x version of the drivers, same thing happened both times. So I'll have to give up and assume a HW error. Unfortunately the last living graphic card I've got left is an AGP, and having no other system to test the 270 on, I'll look for a new card and pray it's not the motherboard that's fried up or the PSU that's slowly dying. This time it'll be a NVIDIA though, last 3 ATI/AMD cards I've owned haven't met a very good ending...

Anyway, thanks so much for your help Pokester. It's good to know that even though AMD's technical support it's pretty lacking, there's still users trying to help each other

Thanks for the kind words, I really hope you feel better. If you get a new card and it is still an issue. It may be a bad power supply. Hope you get it sorted. If not to much trouble report back what worked an get well!

0 Likes
warques44
Journeyman III

I HAVE THAT SAME PROBLEM

0 Likes
creatie
Adept II

I HAVE THAT SAME ISSUE

0 Likes
anoriel
Adept II

I have this card and I got TDR errors in some games with black screens or hard lockups. What fixed it for me was to downclock the card using MSI Afterburner to under 1000Mhz core clock and 1200Mhz memory clock. With Afterburner and downclocking I can run 18.7.1 and most other drivers without any crashing problem in games. For some games I have to take the core clock to 900Mhz or I have to increase the power limit to +5% or +10%.

I always go to safe mode to run DDU and then I go back to normal windows mode and install the AMD driver I want. I am now on Windows 10 but the same problem existed in Windows 7.

TDR problems have been a problem on older manufacturer OC cards for years. It's unfortunate that AMD doesn't respond here.

0 Likes

This issue he is having is not a TDR lockup. Yes those can be fixed with down clocking and or combination of raising the power limit. Afterburner is not recommended as it will conflict if any Wattman settings are changed. You must also use the latest version of Afterburner as well. I see no reason to use Afterburner as it no longer does anything you can't do in Wattman better. The situation he has had is a know issue with the past several drivers that when loaded Windows will load and the video will lock nearly immediately. In the course of fixing this he now has an issue trying to get the driver to load again. All of this is in the thread above.

Not sure why you expect AMD would respond here? The forum headers and links withing clearly state this is a Community forum with USER TO USER support. This is not AMD employees helping here in most cases. They only way for AMD support is to open a support ticket, the link is on the contact page.

You said it yourself, the OC cards are issues. These are not made by AMD. They supply a chip that works at stock speeds. The card maker is the one that puts a chip on a card raises the clock when likely the chip isn't stable at that speed. AMD owes nobody support on that and the vanilla driver don't account for it, the card maker, the one you bought the card from should support the card they sell that doesn't work as THEY ADVERTISED not AMD. .

0 Likes

Nvidia supports OC cards and they have a forum where you can get a response from Nvidia. AMD supports OC cards if they are new. A few years ago R9 cards had no problems.

0 Likes

Your cards maker supports the card not AMD unless it is a retail packaged card from AMD like the Pro cards or Frontier editions. The vanilla drivers may or may not work correctly with a card makers choice to make an OC card.

IMHO Nvidia does do a much better job of supporting their gaming base but even with them the support first falls on the company that made their card.

I too found and find it mind boggling that AMD does not have a constantly participating and active presence in a forum they host an moderate. It is IMHO been a constant point of confusion that only leads to the further frustration of end users experiencing trouble that have to settle for what may at times be lesser advice than the pro's that design the stuff should be able to offer. We user however do our very best and often I believe offer advice useful in ways you would have never got from AMD. The fortunate thing about advice from the community is we can say things that might ruffle feathers that AMD could not.  Unfortunately the only way to open a dialogue with AMD is through there support tickets: Email Form

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

well - pls boot into safe mode - (good if you have video there)
deinstall driver in safe mode

reboot
install latest driver
reboot

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

A quick reading of the thread will tell you that's the very first thing I did. Then went through the whole process again many more times with different driver versions, and it'll make no difference, it goes black mid installation with everyone of them, the only difference being that with some (namely anything pre-adrenaline) it seems to actually install the drivers to some extent making both video outputs go black and having to roll back to a restore point to fix it.

0 Likes

i read what you did

you did a fresh install of Win10 - but was it Spring Creators and latest updates installed?
otherwise latest AMD (any driver since april) drivers could crash system

btw - if black screen comes when windows loads it means that your GPU cant handle stuff windows wants // thats why i told you to go in windows safe mode

the behaviour you describe can be either a faulty GPU (2d works but 3d not); a faulty PSU, a faulty MoBo, wrong software

do you use a modded gpu bios? because then you need to patch the driver

and now - what i think your problem is:
you installed win10 - didnt update it to latest - installed a driver, but forget to disable "automatic driver install" and so your system got screwed by a non working driver // because you didnt use DDU in safe mode you still have stuff left from Win10 auto-driver and so your system gets black...

and that was what i posted you to do!

and if that did not work i gave hints where to look next

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Yeah, I guess my initial post wasn't clear enough. But yes, I've W10 completely updated. Yes, I've run DDU after every faulty driver installation, and done so in safe mode. And no, no modded bios, just the latest version from the motherboard manufacturer.

As for the possible hardware failure, that's my #1 option going on here, and yes, I know it could go anywhere from a faulty PSU to a malfunctioning PCI port, though I'm guessing it's probably the graphics card, Then again I've no way to test it so I just wanted to discard any possible driver problem before I spend the cash in a new one.

Thx for the help anyway

0 Likes

try "bake" her
Bring your video card back from the dead! - Oven method - Linus

0 Likes
creatie
Adept II

I found it's MS issue. Keep you windows 10 version before 17134.81 .

One of the patches (KB4284835 or KB4338548) causes my random black screen.

No, that's not it. From what I've read this caused indeed some black screen issues, but was quickly fixed. Actually, I don't seemingly have any of those installed after a clean W10 install and a update through WUpdate.

0 Likes
sanael
Adept I

So.... been out of town for some time, thus the lack of updates to the situation. Just wanted to let you know that I did a last couple of tries since when I came back Microsoft seemed to have pushed a new W10 update. Since the drivers (which could be the most likely culprits) haven't been updated I had little to no hope at all, but still. Funnily enough, now my screen doesn't go to black if installing the drivers from the IGFX, but the PC freezes and I have to reboot all the same, with both 17 and 18 drivers. On restart, the driver setup from AMD detects the drivers as installed, but the device manager shows no driver installed for the card.

Anyway, I ordered a new GPU, will take about a week since the one I wanted is out of stock. Hopefully it's the r9 270x that's fried up (fingers crossed) and that'll fix it. I'll keep you informed

sanael
Adept I

Ok, just received my gtx1050 today, nothing out of the ordinary but still quite the improvement. And so far so good, so it was definitely a fried GPU, maybe because of it being 3 years old, maybe because some malfunctioning caused by the new drivers... definitely not for pushing it too far, though. Hopefully this one won't meet the same end the last 3 AMD cards did. Thanks to all those who tried to help!