Adept I

Radeon overlay minimizing some full-screen games

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: radeon r9 280x

CPU: intel core i5 4570

Motherboard: ASRock H87 performance

RAM: DDR3 2x4, 2x8 GB

GPU Drivers: 18.7.1

Problem: When I press alt+z to open the ReLive overlay (or even alt+r for the Radeon overlay) some fullscreen apps will minimize and some will stay focused. I'm using a 2 monitor setup and I noticed that while in fullscreen some games allow me to click on the other screen while still staying focused, while some minimize when I do so, from the game's I've tested this with, all the games that stay focused when I click on the other monitor stay focused when I press alt+z while the ones that don't all minimize when I press alt+z for the overlay.

I've made a clean install of Windows 10 and the graphics drivers before this started happening.

I've tried completely removing the drivers with DDU and installing the recommended 18.5.1 version and nothing changed.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Could 'Focus Assist' and/or 'Fullscreen Optimization' be causing a conflict ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Try opening radeon settings and having it on the monitor the game launches on and see if that helps.

0 Likes

It doesn't change anything.

0 Likes

I have many times had different overlays conflict. If you are using steam/origin/discord etc. overlay maybe disable them with this game and see if that helps.

0 Likes

I've disabled the steam overlay and all of the games that minimized still do.

0 Likes

Has this behavior always been there? Did it show up after updating a driver or other system updates?

0 Likes

It started after I reinstalled the drivers after formatting the drive, before it was strangely just the opposite, the overlay didn't work with some of the games that work now, but worked normally for most of the games that re getting minimized now.  I had the 18.7.1 version before formatting, so it's the same update.

0 Likes

You might try going to an earlier driver just to determine if it is the newer driver or not. Some times games are just flaky, but if it worked and now doesn't that's odd. You can also open a support ticket on this with AMD so they know about this and possibly they might offer advice: Email Form

0 Likes

I'll open a ticket, it could just be the games, but it would be weird if I somehow didn't notice half of my games doing that before.

0 Likes

True. It may not be you, your games or AMD either. It could be any other recently updated software, Windows updates or drivers for other devices now conflicting. As they say most problems track back to the most recent thing changed even if they seem unrelated at first.

0 Likes

I just noticed that the games that tab out don't really seem to be fullscreen, they act like other fullscreen games, since they actually stay minimized when I tab out of them until I tab back into them and don't pop back up when I minimize another window like borederless windowed games like to do. But I don't get the short black screen on my monitors  when tabbing into these games like with other fullscreen games, but instead, they just pop up seamlessly

0 Likes

Could 'Focus Assist' and/or 'Fullscreen Optimization' be causing a conflict ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Good thought maybe it is games having issue with Windows 10 full screen optimizations. He can go to the game file properties, just right click on the exe file for the game. Then disable the full screen optimizations. See if that helps.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot, disabling fullscreen optimization actually worked, but I couldn't find the option under graphics settings anymore and had to disable it in the properties of the game I was running, is there a way to disable it system wide?

Nevermind, the games that work now need it for the overlay to even show up, so I'll just disable it manually for the games that don't want it

0 Likes

Have you tried disabling all the options under Windows Settings > Gaming > Windows Game BAR and Game DVR?

0 Likes