cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

crisfer03
Newcomer

How to enable the 8 graphic cores on my processor

This might sound as a really dumb question but I'm new in this PC thing. I bought a Lenovo Ideapad (laptop) that comes with an AMD A12-9720p processor. It seduced me because it had 12 Cores!, 8 of them are graphic cores. I thought this laptop had a lot of graphic power so it should handle hard games and specialized software like AutoCAD right?. But, well, it didn't. AutoCAD 2019 runs really slow after a few lines and almost freezes when using 3D. I downloaded some games and this were the results:

-Fallout 3: an old game but runs on High quality, not Ultra. Some freezes on FPS

-Fortnite: Really sucks. Had to reduce in-game texture resolution and loses a lot of graphical stuff

-Dark Souls: Runs really slow

-Empire Earth 2: Freezes when too many units are on the map.

I mostly play old games but can't reach ultra Quality. I don't like to thing that the guy in the store lied to me saying that this PC could run any modern game perfectly. I thought of returning it to the store but I think i haven't properly enabled its full power. Am I right? Am I wrong?

Some other specs of the laptop:

-16GB of RAM

-Radeon R7 graphics card

tl;dr: My AMD A12-9720p works too slow. Not like the performance the store guy told me it had.

(Sorry if there are some grammar mistakes, not an english speaker)

0 Likes
2 Replies

There's nothing wrong, the A12-9720P is a 15w SoC, it's not intended for heavy gaming.

0 Likes
jargon
Elite

If I recall correctly AutoCAD is heavily dependent on CPU performance, not GPU. The 5400RPM hard drive that accompanies 9720p-equipped laptops is a significant bottleneck when loading textures.

An APU like the 9720p does not have low latency onboard VRAM, rather it has to share the comparatively high-latency system RAM between its CPU and GPU components. This will significantly slow down system performance in graphics-intensive applications such as games. Even if your laptop comes with dual graphics, its graphics performance is not going to be reaching the level of an entry-level discrete GPU like the RX 540.

Sorry, but the guy in the store definitely lied to you. Modern games demand very high-specced laptops to even play smoothly at medium settings with 1080p.

0 Likes