cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dirthurt
Adept III

Can someone guide me to undervolting an RX 580?

I'm actually not mining (crazy I know), but I would love to shed a couple degrees off my card at the same framerates, if possible.

Anyone know any, generally, save undervolts I could try?

I read one post saying 1050 max is pretty good, but I didn't know if that much would affect performance.

Very new to this, so please be patient with me

0 Likes
46 Replies

Well I have an RX 580 and so does the OP. Of the games you list I play The Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor and War plus have played the entire Worfenstein series and chill works fine. Now again my perspective of fine is how well it holds my frames within my freesync boundaries. I could really care less about the power saving. I have pointed out time and time again the FreeSync seems to work fine for people with the lower range of 45-75 but outside of that is very hit and miss above that and card dependent and Vega support seems to be mostly broken. I really have no idea how well chill saves power. I do however know that it helps freesync to work properly within the range of my monitor, and introduces near zero lag like FRTC does. I don't really get into detailed testing and don't care to. It is awesome those of you that enjoy that do. In my spare time I'd rather play games and in my idea of a perfect world, I would have never even found this site as I would have not ever had a problem. There is no doubt that many, many AMD so call features don't work as advertised, if at all. I think if I were AMD with the disaster this last 1.5 years has been on drivers. I would go back to 17.7.1 add in game updates and scrap all the new features for those that just want a stable driver. Heck for me I can't even run Radeon Settings without it crashing every time I make any change, because it can't handle my large game library.

Hi,

RE: chill works fine. Now again my perspective of fine is how well it holds my frames within my freesync boundaries

Sure understood, if it works for you with your RX 580 that's good.

I have a low cost  Viewsonic FreeSync monitor with a limited FreeSync range of 44-75 Hz.
I play the Witcher III at highest resolution and graphics settings I can.
Limiting the FPS from the GPU below 75 is important to avoid tearing on my FreeSync Monitor at least.

For that  I use Frame Rate Target Control at 75, so the GPU outputs a pretty constant 75 FPS all the time.

I do not have to worry about going near the lower end of the FreeSync range with the R9 FuryX/Nanos.

RE: in my idea of a perfect world, I would have never even found this site as I would have not ever had a problem.

Sure,  agreed. I would rather get on with playing games in my spare time or working and using my AMD GPU and being productive.

RE: There is no doubt that many, many AMD so call features don't work as advertised, if at all. I think if I were AMD with the disaster this last 1.5 years has been on drivers. I would go back to 17.7.1 add in game updates and scrap all the new features for those that just want a stable driver. Heck for me I can't even run Radeon Settings without it crashing every time I make any change, because it can't handle my large game library.

You make a very good point there. I think Crimson ReLive 17.7.1 was the most stable driver for me.

Some of the new features are very good and do work pretty well for me such as ReLive, Connect allowing to upload videos directly to Youtube etc.
However other features do seem to cause stability issues.
Driver Stability is much, much more important than new features.
Your idea of having a reduced feature set but highly stable version of the AMD Driver definitely gets my vote.

Maybe it could be a baseline option in the installer similar to the option to install ReLive.

Since many of the new features in the AMD driver are linked to ReLive, such as the Performance Overlay, it might help with stability for some people if ReLive is not installed.

I find the Adrenalin Driver very slow at handling large game libraries, and it does seem to crash if I am navigating between local profiles of different games if the Library is > 50 games.

I split up my Steam Libraries into multiple smaller SteamLibrary1, SteamLibrary2, SteamLibrary3 ... etc of about 50 games max to help avoid the crashing.
It can be difficult to remember which game is on which library though.

Bye.

0 Likes

They do have the feature to not install live. As any of us that watch our resources know though it still installs some relive functions as I am guessing they are just embedded in the new drivers at their core. I have never installed the relive package as I never have cared to record my game play. I absolutely get that this is a huge thing these days and with it working it's a great feature. It definitely seemed to me at least right after Wattman came out that leaving relive out, helped many with stability. I don't test much beyond my personal day to day experiences I have with my 4 AMD cards I still use but you definitely figure out what works for each. There is in no way IMHO any continuity between what works and doesn't work across all models. Every model I have behaves differently. It basically isn't worth the headache to run my HD 7870 or HD 7950 with anything later than 17.7.1, my R9 380 I am running 18.3.4 and all three of those won't run properly at all with the last 4 drivers released the 7xxx series will black screen when you start a 3d game or app, the R9 will black screen as soon as Windows loads. To me it is obvious they can't even be checking that this stuff works with older cards. So stop releasing ONE driver for all.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!!!! DAYS ON DAYS OF SEARCHING!!! thanks bud

0 Likes

Funny I said this and now they are supporting FreeSync in 5 days from now!

0 Likes

All GPUs are different in terms of what the lowest voltage they can tolerate is, and what appears stable can turn out to still cause problems, so just like overclocking you will have to adjust the voltage of the highest P state down a little at a time. Heat isn't a problem unless you are getting temps over 90*C, which you won't with that card unless you spin the fans slowly. As for noise, you shouldn't have a "screaming loud" GPU unless you for some reason have a reference edition card, and you should use Frame Rate Target Control to limit a card's overperformance.

0 Likes

I will tell you that while the on paper the RX 580s are supposed to be okay over 90 many of us have big issues over 70. Now this could be a sort of reporting error where 70 really is 90 I don't know. But it is very common to need to turn the fans up to keep the heat way below 90.

0 Likes