cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

golimb
Journeyman III

Halo Combat Evolved Graphical Issues

Hello, ever since roughly this time last year (maybe September 2017), I've had massive flickering issues with Halo Combat Evolved (PC).

Here is an example:

1.PNG 2.PNG3.PNG

And again:

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

As these are just screenshots its hard to picture how this actually looks in real time, but I assure you, its enough to take anyone out of the game experience, these graphical errors happen extremely often and change the entire layout of what I am looking at, at any given time. It will cause many textures to turn see-through and flicker like this many times per frame, they stay still if I don't move the player view.

Since May 2017 I have had a Ryzen 1800x running from an Asus Crosshair VI Hero and a cross-fired pair of R9 270x's, they ran Halo fine until some point around September/October last year and then this started happening, I upgraded to a cross-fired pair of R9 380's and the exact same thing was occurring, I then upgraded to a singular R9 390x around May and nothing changed.

I've tried all the possible different graphics profile options in the Radeon Settings menu and all I end up with is this problem becoming even worse.

Everything points to a driver breaking this game but I feel like I should not have to downgrade so far back just to get this 17 year old game to run properly.

Please advise, I am happy to answer any questions.

Thank you.

EDIT:

Here are some more screenshots.

3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG

0 Likes
3 Replies

Go to your gaming tab in Radeon Settings. You should have a profile for Halo in there if not add one. Then force V-Sync on and see if that helps.

0 Likes

Hi there, as I said, I have tired every possible configuration via the graphics profile on Halo and the settings in the game itself, V-sync somewhat reduces the problem, however response time is not very good when it's enabled, I'd rather find a solution that doesn't involve V-sync.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Sorry it is the only thing I know to do. This was an issue with Halo 1 and 2 from launch on PC.

0 Likes