cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dirthurt
Adept III

Can someone guide me to undervolting an RX 580?

I'm actually not mining (crazy I know), but I would love to shed a couple degrees off my card at the same framerates, if possible.

Anyone know any, generally, save undervolts I could try?

I read one post saying 1050 max is pretty good, but I didn't know if that much would affect performance.

Very new to this, so please be patient with me

0 Likes
46 Replies

Typically you don't want to undervolt. Most that do this don't understand the correct way to go about handling the heat and throttling. You want to raise the power limit slider to +50 then you want enable Chill and control your frames by limiting to the max and min refresh rates of your monitor, or 1 inside of max and min is what I do. Then if the temps are going to high you will want to change your fan temperature to kick the fan on high sooner by lowering it to around 60 to 65. This will give you much better results. I can get you a screen shot of my wattman settings on my RX 580 later if you like. I'm not at home now.

0 Likes

Well, I'm not really targeting the highest performance.

I'm just as, if not more concerned with noise and heat. That's why I was looking at undervolting. If I can dock the heat down just a tad, without sacrificing clocks, I can keep my performance without having a screaming loud GPU. At least, that was my theory.

I've tried radeon chill, but I can't handle the framerate fluctuations it causes. It's quite jarring to me. I'd rather just lower the overall framerate target.

I get that and the directions I gave you do that. My answer was to directly answer what you asked not to improve performance. Not sure why you have a frame rate issue with chill, it works perfect on my system but I realize even with the same cards everyones mileage varies. The drivers are designed already to dynamically clock based on demand. Unfortunately it is the fact that the driver seem to already under power the cards to begin with that cause issues resulting in many cases excessive heat. I would still suggest raising the power limit slider and using a custom fan profile then to control your heat. Raising that power limit slider doesn't always give it extra power, that is dynamic to, it only allows more to be available when it needs it. I can tell you that while other advice here tells you unless it is over 90 it isn't an issue. Even the AMD specs say this, many of us, self included with RX580's have found we have to set our cooling limit thresholds around 60.

0 Likes

Well, Radeon Chill literally lowers your framerates when it thinks you'll not notice. I just happen to really notice the drops, even if much isn't happening on screen. I wish I didn't, but it is certainly there. Freesync helps with it, but it doesn't eliminate it. I also sense that slight delay between when I start moving and when the framerate jumps back up, and it's jarring.

Wouldn't raising the power limit just create more heat though? I get that it's dynamic and will only apply when needed, but if I'm already stable at my clocks...I'm not sure how it's going to help me.

Sorry if I"m missing something obvious.

Having a temperature threshold of 60 seems intense. I think my card idles in the 40's. How do you deal with the fan noise?

I realize it seams counter intuitive until you realize it is the lack of a proper power ceiling that causes the issues to begin with. Chill just helps keep you, within you your refresh rate range on your monitor, it does a lot of great stuff IMHO and works great for me, and also does this without introducing lag like FRTC or VSync. If you are not on Freesync or it is not helping you then by all means don't use it. I find it works great. I have my fan set to run max at around 65 degrees. The defaults wont even max the fan and they won't even go up to the ceiling they are set at until you like over 85 degrees and for many of us with rx580 we have found that is unstable and too late. Like I said if you are interested I'd be happy to share a screen shot of my settings with you. You don't have to stick with any advice, no guarantees as every situation can be different but what your issue is not a new issue, it is literally the same problem that brought me to these forums to begin with. As far as fan noise goes I don't hear them even at 100% they are quieter than the fan on my CPU. I also use an open case design and have a small box fan that blows toward the cards and motherboard. My idle temps are in the mid 20's.

0 Likes

At first: English isnt my native language. Sorry for that. :-/

I have a similar issue with the Radeon RX580 Red Dragon V2 8GB Graphiccard. I found this thread because I wanted to undervolte my card in the first place too. Please can you send me/post a screenshot from your AMD Wattman settings etc.? I already installed Speedfan and put my clock from 1350MHz to 1240MHz. But still my card fans are getting loud as hell. Without speedfan 3400 RPM, with speedfan/manual fancurve 2500 RPM = still loud in my opinion and the degrees are between 68C - 75C in games. In idle they are quiet (0 - 600 RPM) and the card is 40 degrees warm.

Tested games were Witcher 3 (middle - high settings 60 FPS lock) Chill mode on. Max core stat in Wattman 1240MHz

Fan: Up to 2500 RPM, 73 degrees

PUBG (low - middle settings 60 FPS lock) chill mode on. Max core stat in Wattman 1240MHz Volt 1120

Fan: Up to 2400 RPM, 71 degrees

Blade and Souls (high settings 100 FPS lock) chill mode on. Max core stat in Wattman 1240MHz Volt 1120

Fan: Up to 2400 RPM, 69 degrees

And my best result CSGO (high settings 180 FPS lock) chill mode on. Max core stat in Wattman 1240MHz Volt 1120

Fan: 600 RPM (this is fantastic)

0 Likes

I never quite figured out the undevolting thing.

What I did was downclocked like you did (10% in my case but still puts me above reference rx 580), set the global frame limiter to 75hz (despite having a 144hz monitor), and got a new case (Fractal Designs Meshify C with two 140mm front intake fans.)

Now I'm quiet as can be, but I'm of course missing out on the higher framerates. Still, it's rather smooth and still better than hearing the jet under my desk.

Swapping to the better case had a huge impact on the average fan speed card had to hit to stay cool. 

0 Likes

Sure I will be happy to send you a pic. I am at work so it will be about 7 to 12 hours from now. I don't know how much it will help with fan noise but my setting to keep my card very stable without reducing performance. On thing that I do that works for me very well on the fan noise. My case is on the floor to my left and is an open case. I have a small desktop fan. It is called a

Kaz Chillout 2-Speed Personal Fan, GF-55 

From Amazon. I have had a bunch of these and use them all over the house and at work. I get years out of them, not months like other cheap fans I have tried. It is relatively quite, near silent. Much more quiet than the card fans. When I game I turn on this auxiliary fan to keep the fan noise down. I also use this fan when doing intensive graphics work and video editing. It keeps the m.2 and ssd drives cooler too! I tend to keep a computer till I am forced to upgrade. So keeping it cool is a big key to lots of years of no trouble. That fan puts more air into the case than any case fan would and being much bigger is much quieter. If your the pretty case type you would not want this. Me I don't look at my case its on the floor and forgotten. I look at my screen and play games.  I have a few different presets I use in Radeon Settings and switch between them with different max speeds for the fans. On less intensive games I can run pretty close to silent, I can't however get away from running fans full speed in many AAA titles, that push the GPU to 100% frequently. I don't find though that fans ever bother me over the sound in the game over speakers or headphones. I don think to that even at 100% fan speed my XFX card is quieter than other makers cards I have heard. One thing I do like about the my 2 other gaming rigs in the house with Nvidia cards is they just run cool all the time. Don't have to leave cases open or change a single setting for things to work right.

0 Likes

Here are my settings I use:

0 Likes

Interesting. Now, maybe I'm confused here. But, wouldn't those settings be a 4% overclock with the stock voltage?

0 Likes

nope just the mhz speed is 4% oc, the voltage is stock, other than the power limit ceiling is set to +50.

0 Likes

What exactly does the power limit (right corner, ground)? I dont get it and wich RX580 do you use for this setting?

And in my view you only oc MHz (+4%) ok but you let the voltage on automode wich means that they fit themselve on the new MHz and that isn't a undervolting. I'm confused. correct me if I said something wrong.

0 Likes

It only increases the maximum power ceiling available to the card. It is all within normal operating range. My card is a

XFX - AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

0 Likes

To be clear I am in no way saying your card can hit my overclocks in any way. The power limit and the fan settings however yes.

0 Likes

Well, my situation is exactly the opposite of wanting an overclock. I want the lowest fan speeds possible...

So it's not really helpful for me. I can clock to about 1500mhz on my particular card, but I want the quietest card I can get so I'm actually going much lower than that. I think I'm at like 1340 or something now, but I can barely hear it at this point (with my dual 140mm fans blowing across it and the 2.5 slot cooler it has).

0 Likes

Well its pretty simple then, just give a minus clock until you are happy. Leave the power on auto and it will adjust dynamically. You unfortunately picked a bad card if you were going for quiet.

0 Likes

I dunno. I'm pretty happy with what I've pulled off so far. The fans in games don't spin at all, and most games it's basically silent as long as I cap the frame rate to 75. People underestimate the Powercolor Red Dragon coolers.

0 Likes

I am comparing to like my 1060 6gb. I can run it full tilt for hours and you never hear the fans. No special setup required.

0 Likes

Screenshot (46).png

These are my settings. God damn it and I thought AMD Cards are good as there CPUs (because they are fantastic)

Now I think about it to buy a 1070ti because the loudest things in my PC are the fans from the graphiccard...

0 Likes

I love my RX 580 but compared to the Green Team solution it is loud.  I however don't mind a bit of fan noise. I'm old and hard of hearing anyway.

I love my Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 too (bought it for 226 euros) but the interaction of heat (degrees) and fan noise is a big

"problem" for me. And I switched to PC because my PS4 was to loud with current AAA-titels...

Maybe I`ll buy a AMD VEGA 56 in the future couse of the FreeSync.

Honestly I think the Vega has more issues than the RX  580 unless you really need the graphical power, I would hold out for Navi based products and hope they are better.

Yeah maybe I buy a other one...

0 Likes

Hi,

I was thinking of picking up a Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 as they are the lowest cost RX580 I could find and I think PowerColor are a very good brand.
I couldn't find any decent reviews of it though, they all seem to concentrate on the Red Devil version which might have a better cooler?

I agree with pokester​. I think you should probably wait until AMD release a new GPU with better performance/power ratio for gamers in the future than Vega cards. Who knows what Navi will give or when it will turn up though. You will possibly want to wait to purchase a PS5 in 2020 to get your hands on a Navi GPU.

I think Vega 56 is a much better choice for gamers than Vega 64.  AIB Vega 56 cards from Sapphire and PowerColor seem to perform better than a GTX1070 if you can get hold of one.

However I can buy a GTX 1080 new for less than an RX Vega 56, and a GTX 1080 will run at ~ same power consumption level as an RX580.
Also it looks like new Nvidia cards will be launched in August 20.

Bye.

My personal opinion is that these VEGAs will be the redheaded forgotten step child as soon as NAVI hits. If their was a future for VEGA I don't think they would be investing in yet another Polaris revision. They just don't have a choice. Vega just didn't work as intended either in hardware or cost. With everything I read, with all the issues people have, of all the recent reports of cards going bad at less than 2 years. For my dollar, they aren't even a consideration for me. I am however extremely happy with my RX 580, just requires some at this point well know tweaks. Mine is the XFX GTS Black (it was a BB exclusive, not sure if it still is) and if you watch Best Buy every few days I still see them go for cheaper than the others, the cooler is very nice. I like that I have had zero issues with XFX taking care of problems over the years.

0 Likes

I noticed on the Best Buy site they even sell replacement fans that are for the XFX RX 480 but the reviewers say they work fine on their RX 580s too. For $20 I might have to pickup a pair just in case. I have in the past had no issue getting fans from XFX in last year they sent me a fan for a card over 12 years old.

0 Likes

Thank you for that information (the Navi thing). I didn't know about it. I'm a complete beginner at the PC. At the moment I use FreeSync (because my monitor supports this feature) and I don't want to lose it (that would happen if I change to Nvidia). So in your opinion I should wait until 2020 and see what AMD releasing?

I searched a little bit and I found out that the VEGA 56 is expensive but needs way more power (and have less power in graphics) as a GTX 1080 or ti.

At the moment I could changed the Wattman settings in a good way (for me). Witcher 3 on High Settings (60 FPS) = Card goes up to 73 degrees max. (is it to hot?)

and the fans runs at 55-60% wich means 2200-2300 RPM ( with headset or music on it is "quiet") but for my taste still to "loud".

Under 2000 RPM with the same degrees would be perfect but I could only achieve this result with a Arctic Accelereo Xtreme IV cooler. The problem is: my mainboard is to small (to narrow)

to install the cooler. The heatplate on the backside of the graphiccard (with installed cooler) would be to big. I dont have the space between card slot and the RAM banks. I have 2,7cm space and for the cooler you need a little bit over 3,1cm... because that would solve my problem complete.

0 Likes

RE: So in your opinion I should wait until 2020 and see what AMD releasing?

From what I read the PS5 will use AMD GPU, think it will be Navi and that will be out ~ 2020.

I think you should wait to see what the next GPU are released for gamers this year by Nvida  and maybe late this year / early 2019 year by AMD.
The RX580 8GB is a good card. It is competitive with Nvidia GTX1060 GB.  GPU prices have been very high until last few months.

If you want a new AMD card now the cheapest and most interesting Vega 56 I found so far is this one: PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX Vega 56 DirectX 12 AXRX VEGA 56 8GBHBM2-2D2HD/OC 8GB 2048-Bit HBM2 P...

I like that one because it is two slots high. The cooler is long and quite wide though, needs to be because of the Vega 56 power consumption.
That card might be too big for you.

There is a short video  review here: RED DRAGON VEGA 56 REVIEW & BENCHMARKS - YouTube

The Vega 56 will beat a GTX1070 in some cases.

The Power draw on the Vega 56's is higher  than a GTX1070 and that means more cooling & higher fan speeds and noise in general

See this review: RX Vega 56 vs GTX 1070 - Which Should You Buy? - YouTube

I run R9 FuryX and R9 Nanos in DX11 Crossfire or DX12 MultiGPU so I get ~ Vega 64 performance on supported games already.

The Vega 56 is not that much of an uplift in performance from an R9 Fury X for me. It might not be enough for you either moving from a single RX580.
The Vega 64 is more suited to compute workloads than gaming and power consumption is high. All AIB Vega 64 are ~ 2.5-3 slots high with support bracket.

I was hoping for a Vega respin for gamers at 14nm with better performance/power in 2 slot high form factor this year. AMD have made a 14nm Vega but it is for Professional workload / compute.

You will still be able to use your FreeSync monitor with an Nvidia card. You just will not be able to use the FreeSync feature. Nvidia do have other sync technologies than GSync which you could use.

RE: to 73 degrees max. (is it to hot?). No I think that's fine.

See here: Power, Temperature, & Noise - The AMD Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 Review: A Second Path to Polaris

RE: Arctic Accelereo Xtreme IV cooler. Yes they are massive I have seen them before.

Bye.

Thank you for the Links. It looks like I waiting until the new cards (from AMD and Nvidia) released.

I know that I can use my monitor with NV Cards but the problem is I'm loosing the FreeSync feature and monitors wich supports the GSync feature are way to expensiv. I bought my FreeSynch monitor from Samsung (cost: 90€). GSync monitors costs over 300€ and that is way to much in my opinion. The other thing is: nearly every game is Nvidia optimiced and not AMD wich helps the NV cards to perform better.

It would be awesome if AMD can make it (cards) in that way they made it with the CPU, because they are in my opinion way better as the Intel i5 and i7.

They are allrounder and Intel CPUs (i5 and i7) are only good for games and cost way more.

HI,

Hey - can you tell me where you got that FreeSynch monitor from Samsung for 90€ please? I want one!

Only joking - you mean €900 right?

RE: The other thing is: nearly every game is Nvidia optimised and not AMD which helps the NV cards to perform better.

Nvidia Gameworks features - if I were you I would look at the effect they have on AMD card performance  and ask yourself are they really bring much better visual experience for the performance hit? Some features like GodRays do look nice but can cause a large drop in FPS on my Nvidia cards. Others like Hairworks are really not worth the performance hit to me in The Witcher III.

I was just looking at the performance hit of Nvidia features on Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands, and turning on Nvidia Gameworks features did hit the game performance on R9 FuryX.

RE: It would be awesome if AMD can make it (cards) in that way they made it with the CPU, because they are in my opinion way better as the Intel i5 and i7.

They are allrounder and Intel CPUs (i5 and i7) are only good for games and cost way more.

I run i7-4770K and i7-4790K and they are o.k. for most tasks. More CPU cores are useful with Ryzen or Threadripper for some people, and I do want to build a Threadripper PC soon. Meanwhile I use my use Multiple  AMD R9 FuryX/Fury/Nano GPU's for Blender 2.79b rendering now. The improvement in rendering time is amazing versus an i7-4790K 4 core 8 thread CPU. They might even beat the beast Threadripper CPU rendering on my test cases. Not looked into that one.

I think it will likely be possible to optimize the RX Vega cards for lower power and higher performance on better process node, with faster HBM2. So I was waiting for RX Vega respin / version 2.

In fact it is here already ... but not for gamers.

See: Computex 2018: AMD Shows off 7nm Vega Graphics | PC Perspective

Bye.

Its the Samsung S24F356F Monitor. A new one costs 120€ (here in germany). I bought it on eBay for 90€. The seller used it only one month.

It has FreeSync and FullHD screen. Only three things are bad: No Headset plug in, only one HDMI and one VGA slot and no speakers but I dont need more.

You're right things like hairworks aren't that nessecary.

In future I want to build a Threadripper PC too cause of the power fromt the AMD CPUs. At the moment I builded my first PC and now I save money for a better one in some years.

RE: I think it will likely be possible to optimize the RX Vega cards for lower power and higher performance on better process node, with faster HBM2. So I was waiting for RX Vega respin / version 2. In fact it is here already ... but not for gamers.

I'll keep that in mind. It sounds very interesting.

All in all: Maybe I imagined way too much of my PC (compared to my budget).

0 Likes

No gamer cards will be coming with the new vega revision either. Nothing till Navi but possibly a Polaris die shrink refresh? Not that the projected 15% increase isn't worthy. Some of the crap AMD gets from the Green Team Fanboys on the RX580 is crazy not everyone in fact most nobody in the overall scheme of things is gaming in 4k at high refresh rates. The RX580 is a fantastic 1080/1440p 75hz max product, once you get the right settings that is.

0 Likes

The problem is to find the right settings. Everyday I have other issues with the Wattman or the fans from the card and that annoys me. Maybe I just got a "monday product" like we say it in germany.

0 Likes

Hi,

Nvidia have a technology called Adaptive VSync. If you do have a friend with an Nvidia card you might want to try it out on your FreeSync Monitor?
More information here: Adaptive VSync | GeForce

It can  be set as  follows:

pastedImage_3.png

If I were you I would find out what the FreeSync Range is on your monitor, and try the following test:

1. Set your monitor at the resolution you want to test and a monitor refresh rate mode to the top end of your FreeSync Range.

For example - I have a cheap Viewsonic Monitor with a FreeSync Range of 44-75Hz at 1080p  and  44-60Hz at 4K.
So if I were to test Nvidia Adaptive Sync to compare to what FreeSync would do for me I would set the Monitor Display Mode in Windows to 1920x1080, 75 Hz.

The reason to do this to compare is because if in Game FPS is > FreeSync range, you will see screen tearing. To avoid that I have to set the AMD Frame Rate Target Control ( FRTC)  to ~ top end of the FreeSync Range as well i.e 75 or 74 it depends on the game / how well FRTC honors the limit).

This is not that obvious to some and I have see 144Hz Gaming Monitors advertised with FreeSync, but on further investigation I find the  top end of the FreeSync Range is range lower than 144.

I am running a different machine and monitor at the moment but here I show how to set that in Windows 8.1 64 bit, 7 and 10 will be similar.

pastedImage_2.png

2. Turn on Nvidia Adaptive VSync.

3. Launch your game and set the FPS Limit in the game to match the top end of your Monitor  FreeSync Range.

You may find you get a similar experience to running FreeSync with an AMD card, or you may not be happy with it - but it might be good to test that out before locking yourself into buying an AMD card because of FreeSync or thinking you must have a GSync Monitor?

Bye.

0 Likes

I'm not usually much on going out of the way to test stuff. I may just have to try my monitor on my kids 1060 as you suggested above. See how that pans out. If it is a go, it opens up options if Navi doesn't live up to expectations.

Thanks,  It would be interesting to hear if it works for you.

I think the Nvidia Adaptive Sync is similar to the way AMD Enhanced Sync is supposed to work.
Since I have FreeSync anyhow with my R9 FuryX/Fury/Nano cards and it works well for me provided I set FRTC then I am OK with that.
Bye.

0 Likes

No you are right, FreeSync's core is mostly just the Vesa standard with some proprietary code on top. So it is very possible this may help. Heck I'm sure Nvidia could support FreeSync if they wanted. Unfortunately they prove time and time again that they go the Proprietary Route. While they claim to put gamer's first and I do agree they do an admirable job supporting their products. We the users would all be far better off if ALL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE makers on ALL PLATFORMS supported open source and dropped the proprietary tech. Users would win and in the long run I think it would save the hardware companies R&D dollars and the Software side of things a ton of support hours. Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes

Hi,

I think if they did support FreeSync, more AMD GPU  owners would jump ship to Nvidia and existing Nvidia owners would be happier.

The cost of those GSync monitors and there was also  limited choice of GSync monitor last time I looked for one.
Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

1. Chill is only supported on a small number of games.

2. On some games it is a bit of a disaster, on the R9 Fury X at least. I just tested one. Shadow of Mordor. It is totally and utterly hosed on that game with my R9 Fury X. It is not even honoring  Chill min correctly on that one, it does not seem to work properly at all.

3. On all "supported" titles I have tested, such as the Witcher 3, Sniper Elite 4, etc it limits "keyboard only input" FPS to Chill Min + 15-25 FPS depending on Chill max settings of 75-300. Please note I set the game settings so my GPU can run at high frame rate when I test this.
By keyboard only input FPS I mean, don't touch the mouse, just use the WASD keys to move around for example.

4. There is a delay in ramping up from Chill Min to Chill min + (15-25) FPS of ~ 1 second last time I checked. That delay may have been reduced and may vary depending on GPU.

5. They way Radeon Chill is functioning at the moment is totally at odds with FreeSync and high refresh monitors. All FreeSync monitors have a top end of FreeSync range of maybe 75, or 90, or 120, or 144 Hz. Ideally Chill Max should be set to or just under the top end of the FreeSync range of your monitor. Otherwise you will get screen tearing if the FPS output from the GPU goes above that value. If you want responsive game play in a First Person Shooter or even Sniper Elite 4 single player game then you want the FPS to shoot up to say 144 as quickly as possible as soon as you touch a key on the keyboard. You do want the GPU to run as low power and low frame rate as possible (i.e Chill min = 30) if your character is stationary, because low power = low temp = more performance headroom for when you press the keyboard to move the game character to fight or run.

6. Regarding Chill max. Chill max settings is used as a 'scaling factor' to set the max FPS that will be hit when a key on the keyboard is used to move the game character.

7. Chill max is also used to limit the FPS based on mouse input. On the Witcher 3 for example, if I move my mouse wildly (in a way I would never do in practice in the game), I can hit the Chill Max FPS with Chill turned on.

I have an reported all of the above to AMD support and the above issues were acknowledged as limitations of Radeon Chill.

The above behavior I describe has been confirmed.

I have not tested it on RX 480/580, so maybe it works on those cards?

I have just been on a livestream with someone who was running the Witcher III on an RX Vega 64 reference card. They kindly tested Radeon Chill during the livestream for me. Radeon Chill exhibits almost identical behavior to my R9 Fury X running the same game with Chill switched on.

Radeon Chill would be a great technology to use and I would definitely use it if only AMD would fix it and allow the user to independently set the keyboard only input FPS by adding a control to Radeon Chill to allow the user to do that. It would allow me to save power and get good framerates when I need them.

I used to run Hialgo Chill, Boost and Switch. Hialgo Chill allows the user to set "keyboard only input" FPS and also various other parameters such as delay before FPS is ramped up after keyboard input is detected.

Here is an example of a game which very definitely should work properly with Radeon Chill:
Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus - YouTube

That is an AMD AAA flagship title, very new game, on Vulkan.
You may read the video description for an explanation of what I an showing in that test if you want.

I think the way that AMD advertise Chill and how it functions at the moment is misleading at best regarding the "save power without affecting game performance" and how it supports "countless games".

Bye.

0 Likes