cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

coffent
Adept I

BSOD caused by AMD 6400 series graphics card?

I installed an AMD Radeon HD 6400 Series graphics card in my computer running Windows 7 several months ago.  (Specifically MSI ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card R6450-MD1GD3/LP.)

Recently I've begun to get BSODs either when booting up or during normal operation.  Both displays on my dual-monitor system show a bizarre pattern of horizontal lines for a fraction of a second before the BSOD.  The error message from one of the crashes says

The driver is mismanaging system PTEs

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:    da

BCP1:    0000000000000504

BCP2:    FFFFF6FC40000010

BCP3:    0000000000000037

BCP4:    0000000000000002

OS Version:    6_1_7601

Service Pack:    1_0

Product:    768_1

Both Windows and the AMD driver installation program say the driver 15.20.1062.1004 currently installed is up to date, and I've made no hardware changes in recent months.  Can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem?  Is it a hardware issue?  Thanks.

0 Likes
16 Replies

Could be heat, power, video card memory or GPU issues. The obvious things to check first are for dust and debris, like fuzz balls and suck in the heat sink and fan on the card. You can use some canned air to clean that out. Just immobilize the fan with a finger or pen or something. You don't want the fan to whip around while blowing it out as it can damage the bearings. Then watch to see it the fan(s) look like they are operating okay. Not stuttering, starting then stopping, not smooth etc..

From there you could just have a card with a GPU or memory going bad or more commonly a Power Supply going bad.

Download a free utility call OCCT from OCBASE_COM and it can test both the GPU and Power Supply and give you a good idea if and where you have an issue.

I wouldn't change anything else, like loading another driver etc. Until checking this stuff out. Now do look at your Windows update history and see if by chance it recently loaded a video driver for you. Windows has been known to screw this stuff up too.

Take a look at that stuff and report back and we can go from there!

Good Luck

besides doing everything that pokester​ mentioned in his comment, Can you post all the BSOD Error messages that shows up when the computer crashes?

normally it indicates a Windows error with the file that is involved with an alphanumerical code like 0x00?????.

Great advice! Thanks!

0 Likes

Thanks, pokester & elstaci.  I'll check GPU and power supply, etc. as you suggested.  Here is the full message from the latest crash:

The driver is mismanaging system PTEs

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:    da

BCP1:    0000000000000504

BCP2:    FFFFF6FC40000010

BCP3:    0000000000000037

BCP4:    0000000000000002

OS Version:    6_1_7601

Service Pack:    1_0

Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\073018-14546-01.dmp

C:\Users\CHS\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-35406-0.sysdata.xml

The computer crashed twice during or shortly after boot-up this morning, but so far after that everything's been fine.  It seems like after the computer gets through the first hour or so it's ok.  Thermal issue??  I'll see what happens when I boot up tomorrow morning.

0 Likes

Blue Screen View for Nirsoft might give some more insight into that error being able to read that crash report.

Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

Depends on how the computer crashes. If the computer shuts down by itself as though you pressed the Restart or power button, this normally indicates Overheating, Power issues or possibly an incompatible/failing hardware or driver.

But if it crashes to a Blue Screen or video crash, then is might be other reasons besides those mentioned above. 

0 Likes

Computer crashed again this morning a few minutes after boot-up.  I've now reseated all memory cards and boards.  I ran OCCT - nothing obviously wrong.  I also ran BlueScreenView but am posting recent results from WhoCrashed.  This morning's crash did *not* produce a memory dump for some reason.  The problem appears to be caused by ntoskrnl.exe and/or ntkrnlmp.exe  , but I'm not sure what to do about it.  Graphics card driver is up to date.  Once again, after the initial crash, the computer has been operating fine for 3 hours.

On Mon 18.07.30 9:39:44 p GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073018-14546-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xA48A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xDA (0x504, 0xFFFFF6FC40000010, 0x37, 0x2)
Error: SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a page table entry (PTE) routine has been used in an improper way.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 18.07.30 9:39:44 p GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!RtlNumberOfSetBitsUlongPtr+0x1F2E)
Bugcheck code: 0xDA (0x504, 0xFFFFF6FC40000010, 0x37, 0x2)
Error: SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE
Bug check description: This indicates that a page table entry (PTE) routine has been used in an improper way.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 18.07.30 1:08:45 p GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073018-13328-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F02971, 0xFFFFF8800D3070C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Fri 18.07.27 10:47:43 a GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072718-19062-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFFFF8800C24E2E0, 0x23AFE2634A78, 0xFFFFDC501D9CB587, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

0 Likes

This website give a very good troubleshooting steps for your error. Try following each one and see which step fixes your issue: How To Fix SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE Blue Screen Errors (0x000000DA)

That site may have useful information but many of my security extensions block to the site due to links to malware so don't run anything from the site or follow its links. Just read its advice if applicable.

Reviews for this site from the WOT score card: Is solvusoft.com Safe? Community Reviews | WOT (Web of Trust)

0 Likes

Strange, Mcafee web protection extension gives it a "Safe" while WOT extension says it is "unsafe" and a ratings of "2.9".

Many of the website that give advice to repair or fix a computer issue "Recommends" downloading their software to do the repairs automatically. I NEVER DO THAT. As pokester​ mentioned, follow the advice BUT DON'T DOWNLOAD anything. Most sites recommends downloading a software called REIMAGE which is more or less a scam or a driver downloader. So any site that recommends REIMAGE or a Driver downloader never download the software but just follow the troubleshooting tips. Generally they are valid troubleshooting tips.

Good point, pokester​, Normally if a site is really UNSAFE, Mcafee or Google would block from having access and I wouldn't link it.

0 Likes

I went to the site suggested by elstaci & saw they were pushing their software, and haven't done anything more.  However, since re-seating the memory & graphics cards early yesterday, I haven't had any more problems.  Too soon to tell for sure, but it's possible it was simply a contact problem.  I'll post again in a few days if everything goes well (or if it doesn't!)

Great, sometimes when messing around inside your computer case you accidently loosen a card or when a computer case is jostled around on the floor, the vibrations causes a card to jimmy up enough to cause problems.

0 Likes

You know its funny as one of the things that once upon a time I used to always try first and often times over look to day I pulling the card. I would rub the contacts with a pencil eraser and then clean with alcohol and put it back in. Problems can exist in so many different places yet present themselves in similar ways. Glad it is working better for you.

Happy Gaming!

0 Likes

It is hard to say on the google blocking things. That is usually if they host the malware, but links to malware don't typically get you blocked. I pretty much don't ever download anything from links. I find the source myself and do it the safe way. I never use utilities that scan my computer and supposedly fix things or auto update drivers. In my experience they have all been in the range of useless money scams to phishing and malware.

0 Likes

I agree. The links aren't block but sometimes the website that have the links are blocked to prevent people from clicking on it. If a link is considered to be infectious most likely it will be blocked when you click on it either by WOT or your Anti-Virus browser extension.

By Google, I was talking about Chrome itself as per this website : Chrome Browser Adds Antivirus Protection .

I once made the newbie mistake of downloading REIMAGE to my computer since it is advertised in so many tech websites. I used it to scan my computer. Big mistake. I should have googled REIMAGE to find out more about it.

Long story short, it was worse than deleting a virus to get rid of Reimage from my computer. It is a total scam. I should have known better but reading all these tech sites recommending it I felt it might be legitimate.

Like you, I never click on any software unless I do a thorough research before downloading. Some are obvious that they are scams and not what they say they are.  

When I investigate software I am unfamiliar with I always search for how to uninstall whatever the software is. This shows you the software that likes to embed itself forever. To me software like this is Malware. If a company can't make software that completely uninstalls with the windows uninstaller it installed then it deserves nobodies attention and definitely not their money IMHO. Luckily today's world while full of a lot of bad stuff has more great and free choices than ever, just do some research and ask a few questions before diving in.