cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

overlordactual
Journeyman III

Radeon Chill algorithm adjustment suggestion

If there is a place to submit recommendations to software please let me know. I looked but could not find it. Moving on.

I would like to suggest a change to the Radeon Chill feature. Make an option so chill will only drop the framerate when there is no input. If there is any input the algorithm should have the GPU to go straight up to the upper framerate limit. I do not think it should be a gradual climb based on APM. If I have a min limit of 30 and a max of 60 when I move the mouse or press a key or have it held the game should instantly go and stay at 60 fps (assuming hardware can handle that). Right now I have to set such a small range (10FPS difference) just to keep desirable framerates which defeats the purpose of chill for me. It would be better to keep it off and locked at 60 all the time. I suppose I could toggle chill manually whenever there is down time in the game but that is really undesirable. I want to keep the range at 40-60 ideally because that is my freesync range but the framerate is constantly jumping around at 50-53 FPS unless I start face rolling my keyboard then it will hit 60. If I set 45-60 then it will hover around 55. Truly I would prefer to have 30-60 since if I am not actually doing anything dropping the framerate to 30 is usually fine for me. Like if I am watching a cutscene. At the very least it would be nice to be able to set a delay (maybe 1-10s) before chill kicks in so the framerate is not varying so much. rhallockantal.tungler

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

For what you are looking for, i would suggest to use only the FRTC to cap the framerate to the desired value.
Chill works the best when you got, would say 130 fps, then it drop to 30fps when doing nothing, idling.
But if you have fairly low fps output, i don't see why mixing Chill and FRTC, just cap your framerate at 60fps.
You should have a far better game experience.

Hi,

As far as I see it, Radeon Chill does not work properly on my R9 FuryX, Fury, Nano, down to R9 280x or HD7970 cards.
In game keyboard only input FPS is limited to Chill min + 25 FPS for all games I tested.
Plenty of examples here: Could AMD please add Keyboard and Mouse input Weighting sliders for for Chill in Adrenalin Driver?

I just tested 18.7.1 Drivers Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus - YouTube
Please see the comments in the video for more information.

Perhaps it does work on RX 480/580/Vega56/Vega64?
I do not own those cards.

I do not run Chill. I use FRTC so I save at least some power but get good performance in game.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,

I am not the only one then...
Hialgo Chill used to let you set variables in the game to scale the keyboard only input FPS or the Mouse input FPS etc.
Please see the links above.
Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,

Is there an updated  list of all the 'supported' games with Radeon Chill?
Last up to date information I have is from 17.7.2. release presentation.
I think Wolfenstein the New Colossus II title is supposed to be supported as it is a new Vulkan AAA title and I read a write up regarding Radeon Chill used on the game.
Thanks.

0 Likes