cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

milkvetch
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon R9 370 - GPU got fried during a thunderstorm, is there any replacement with the same dimensions?

Hi!

There was a thunderstorm that occurred recently and fried my GPU, I was wondering if there was any other graphics cards that matched the same dimensions. Sorry, but I also don't know too much about GPUs. Does anyone here have some suggestions for replacements?

Dimensions LxWxH 9in x 3in x 1.3~in

0 Likes
6 Replies

Is it critical to adhere to the same dimensions or just one or two of them? The RX 500 series ship with double slot coolers so it's going to take up two slots. The RX 560 is the equivalent power of your R9 370, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930003&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=rx_560-_-14-930-0... and the RX 570 is twice as fast https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202309&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=rx_570-_-14-202-3... so check your available space against the dimensions on those pages.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I believe that it's critical that the size of the GPU

be the same or smaller than the current one listed, any greater length or

width would be larger than the GPU frame, I'm not sure if the GPU being

larger than the frame will be good or usable. Also, I've found an RX 560

that fits within the dimension criteria, however it doesn't list whether or

not it uses 6 pins which was what my previous GPU used. Here is the GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137308&cm_re=rx_560-_-14-137-308-_-Product

0 Likes

Only uses 60w so it should be powered completely through the PCIe slot as I don't see a power connector on it. If it does have one then it'll be 6 pin.

0 Likes

Just curious, but if the GPU got "fried" during a thunderstorm, Did you physically check the PSU and Motherboard for damage or burn marks from a power surge?

Copied this about PSU and Power Surges : 3 Common Mistakes That'll Damage or Ruin Your Motherboard

2. Protect Against Power Surges

The motherboard is where your computer’s power supply unit (PSU) is connected. It’s important to buy the right PSU for your needs — if your components need more power than the PSU can provide, it will cause the components or the motherboard to fail.

But the more frequent problem for motherboards is power surges. Some electronics in your home are power-hungry, like air conditioners or refrigerators. Have you ever seen your lights flicker when these devices turn off? That’s because they needed to draw more electricity and caused a surge. Then they switch off, the current takes a few seconds to adjust. And in those few seconds, it gets redirected to other electronics, like your lights or your computer. This is the most basic explanation of a power surge. It happens more often than you think, depending on your power setup, your locality’s power grid, and even weather conditions (like lightning).

Most power supply units and motherboards can adjust their voltages to accommodate small power surges. But if it’s a big one, it can fry your motherboard and all the components connected to it. It’s a big issue, and one of those that we never tend to adequately account for. The only solution is to buy a surge protector for your computer.

So it is possible that your GPU card may be good. It might be a damaged PSU or Motherboard issue preventing the GPU card from working. Before buying a new GPU card, try installing an old GPU card and see if it works. If it does, then most likely your PSU and Motherboard are good.

0 Likes

I do believe that it was the GPU that got messed up in the thunderstorm,

one of my friends checked my computer shortly after this occurred and found

out that whenever he tried to turn on the computer again, the GPU's fan

would be at 100% upon starting up, however there was no display showing up

on my monitor. He removed the no longer functional GPU from the computer

and tried putting it in another computer that was functional and this

yielded the same extremely loud fan noises with no display showing up. He

also tried resetting bios on my computer and reseating the ram but both

attempts yielded the same GPU fans being on full blast when trying to boot

up.

Also, he and I checked the computer physically, we didn't see any marks

left on it.

0 Likes

does sound like your GPU went bad. Good idea in putting the GPU in another computer. Best way to check if it was good or not.

But then again, I have read several threads in the past few months where R9 GPU cards were working than had a video crash. Upon restarting or rebooting, the GPU card went bad without any video output. Same thing happened to two or three others when updating the AMD Graphics drivers. After updating and restarting or rebooting, the GPU card suddenly stopped working.

One person had the same thing happen, but then he installed a older previous AMD Driver and the GPU card starting working again.

Not sure if your GPU card would be covered by Warranty since it was damaged during a storm. You can try. No harm in doing that. That is if your GPU card is still under Warranty. Most GPU cards have a two or three year Warranty from the manufacturers.

0 Likes