Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

maxwell
Adept I

Hardware detection changes from 17.x to 18.x

Hello everyone,

As long as I have been building PCs for gaming, I was loyal to the AMD brand for the choice of GPUs, they were solid, robust and effective, however I am about to change my mind.

On my previous computer, I had a ATI Radeon HD7800, it worked well, a few crash/overheat issue over 6 years to finally die recently.

Trusting AMD, I didn't switch to Nvidia and bought a Radeon RX570.

Installed all drivers, seems to work fine.

Now here is the list of the games I can't play without having crashes (that I could play before with no problem on my previous GPU)

- ANNO 2205

- Raimbow Six Siege

- ME: Shadow of war

And the list goes on (haven't tried back all my games).

What kind of company "update" their product while creating more problem than previous generation one ?

Is there a solution planned for these problems ?

Is there a list of games which are not working on specific AMD GPU ? I wish I had this information availiable before my purchase...

0 Likes
1 Reply
maxwell
Adept I

It seems that the automated detection of hardware and the update tool simply can't be trusted... I did a total wipe of drivers and used the CD one into update (instead of using auto-detect tool) and then got correct result. I suspect there is a driver’s version mismatch between the RX570 and RX580 into auto-detect/update tool.

If it can help anyone: check that the driver installed is matching your hardware type. It might "work" but under some circumstances (not all games, not all actions, etc).

Problem : when updating from 17.x to 18.x my GPU detection goes to RX570 to RX580.

Additionally, I noticed that the CD driver installed additional programs that the auto-detect tool didn't (Visual studio packages for Win7 x64). Maybe the issue of crashed come from that that missing software.

0 Likes