cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

7970m crossfire won’t install.

Recent reinstall of windows 7 ultimate.  Was using Windows 10.  Both 64 bit systems.   And driver install causing issues.  Install any version of drivers and after reboot windows hangs after windows bubble screen.  Running bios a11 and tried a13.  Gpu is he 7970m crossfire. Windows is up to date. 16gb ram.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I was finally able to get a version of the and drivers to install.   Jesus what a task.  Thanks for all the support. 

View solution in original post

30 Replies

So be be more clear.  reverted  to Windows 7 ultimate  64bit.  I was running Windows 10 pro but kept having graphics driver issues If I touched them.   I installed bios a13 and that caused my gaming to become completely unstable.   So here I am with windows 7 ultimate.  Every possible update is installed.   Intel core i7-3820qm @2.7ghz 16gb ram. Dual gpus 7970m.  So here’s the deal.  Any and I mean any graphics drivers I have tried to load cause the computer on reboot to not load.   It gets to loading after the spirally multi colors windows logo comes up normally where the password screen pops up the screen goes blackish gray.   Now during the driver install the display adapters are labeled as standard vga graphics adapters.  Two of them.  With a flag on the bottom saying this device cannot start code 10.  I’m assuming this is because it isn’t recognizing the crossfire.  I have installed just about every driver and has made for this gpu.   During the install the 7970m’s do get recognized. Though some catalyst installed I don’t think actually installed any drivers and just installed the and installer and hdmi audio.  I’m not that great at this anymore. And I’m sure I’m missing a very basic yet important step.   In the bios prior to any install the bios does not detect and discrete graphics.   Though after install The bios does recognize them both.   I was able to get only one driver install to actually load back into windows but it come up with a few black bars across the screen then went to a blue screen which I then rebooted and the same happened.   I have tried the dell basic drivers for the gpu with the same result.   Any help would be awesome as I have been in a circle now for 4 days.  

0 Likes

To rule out driver or card issue a couple of things to do here. I have issues with the latest drivers on my HD7950. The last few drivers don't work correctly. The last one that mostly worked was 18.3.4, the last one that worked with zero driver issues was 17.7.1. I would download those both to try out. Also download DDU from wagnardsoft_com. Shutdown and remove the secondary card. Restart in safe mode and run DDU from safe mode. I would would then load the 17.7.1 driver. If all seems well with the one card shutdown and install the second card. If all then works you can repeat the process and try the newer 18.3.4 driver. You can report what doesn't work to AMD: Email Form

0 Likes

so it continues.  i have tried disabling one card( this is on an alienware m18xr2 laptop).  i have used a driver updating service. i am completely up to date on both windows updates and driver updates.  i was able to get one driver to completely install and reboot.  unfortunately i forget which one it was but it was an early one.  i believe 9.05 something.  during install the graphics cards are being recognized and installed. I have gotten this message numerous times,Hardware ID missing, Windows cannot identify the device plugged into the xeno provessor e3-1200v2|3rd gen core processor PCI express root port 0155. If this helps at all please let me know.  i'm willing to try anything. 

0 Likes

The Intel driver must be this one > Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]  < and it must be installed before trying to install the AMD driver.

Laptop graphics update...How to

Latest correct driver > Mobile

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Likes

i have downloaded the driver i needed.   the bios does not detect any integrated graphics.  i have tried to install this before and im sure im just not doing it right.  but i keep getting this error. "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."   I have tried to install the provided drivers also from dell but it always gives me this error.  ill google it as well and maybe im just doing it wrong.

0 Likes

Follow the guide offered by Intel > Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and...

And I am assuming you are correct having the HD 4000 and not the HD3000

0 Likes

Wait a minute....you said in the earlier post you had a i7-3820qm processor. Then you said you have a Intel xeno provessor e3-1200v2|....which is it?

0 Likes

There are dozens of "alienware m18xr2" all with different graphics/options....what is your exact model number? Look on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

0 Likes

I have the i7-3820qm.   I read something that explained that error.   It said that all these processors are downgraded versions of the Xeon server chip.  

0 Likes

Exact model number?

0 Likes

in regards to the computer or processor?  I have attempted every step in the manual install of the integrated onboard graphics.  windows gave me the windows has determined the driver software for this device is up to date. standard vga graphics adapter.

0 Likes

The computer model...exact.

Also, make sure WU is set to show 'optional' updates.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

Alienware M18x R2

Service Tag: 7ZWGKV1

0 Likes

Sorry...that's not it. Run Speccy and post a screenshot of it's findings > Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free!

And if you run a google search for Alienware M18x R2 you will see what I mean...dozens of different configurations..some with Nvidia graphics as well.

0 Likes

Untitled.png

0 Likes

Untitled1.png

0 Likes

Untitled2.png

0 Likes

Untitled3.png

0 Likes

What OS did this laptop come from the factory with? When you 'upgraded' to Windows 10, did you make any changes/update the bios to work with Win10?

Do you have the original installation disk?

Are you absolutely positive there are no updates available from WUpdate?

0 Likes

It came with 7 pro.  Previous owner put 10 pro on it.   And that’s what it had for a while.  Then after I updated the bios to a13 I started having issues and choose to go back to the basics.  

0 Likes

I’ll continue to check but the only one showing up is the and Radeon 7970m drivers. 

0 Likes

You might want to try reverting to the bios for Win7. Possible that the update for use with Win10 messes something up...also make sure you have the correct chipset drivers..from HP support. They have a 'search your computer for updates' and you select the OS.

0 Likes

Yes I have already reverted to a11.  I’ll double check to see if that’s what I should be running. 

0 Likes

the only update I have is the amd graphics update. I cant install that as it causes the grey screen on start up.

0 Likes

Video_Driver_M38YW_WN_v8.15.10.2653_A02.EXE

that's the download from dell but I get the you cant install this blah blah blah.

0 Likes

about the xeon I was able to find it in the device manager under system devices all the way at the botuff.tom for dram and pci express st

0 Likes

so I was just thinking.  Since this has switchable graphics.  Do I need to switch to that type of graphics for driver install? 

0 Likes

Hallelujah that’s what was causing it to not install.  I finally got the intel graphics to install.  I had to switch to that. 

0 Likes

I was finally able to get a version of the and drivers to install.   Jesus what a task.  Thanks for all the support. 

Man I'm glad you got it figured out ! Possibly the previous owner switched it?

0 Likes