cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

psychorealm
Adept I

AMD A12 9700P - High CPU usage with any browser.

Hello there,

I am having issues with my "HP 15-ba077cl - 15.6" - A12 9700P - 8 GB RAM - 1 TB HDD".

When I use a browser (Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome) the CPU is consumed up to 60%, does not matter the content on the browser (videos, movies, etc.)

It has AMD drivers up to date :

Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1

AMD Chipset Drivers 18.10.0601

Also it has HP drivers and Windows drivers up to date.

I tried with many other methods that I found in Microsoft community but the issue persists.

Does anyone had this issue and could solved it?

Regards!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Eistaci

Thanks for share the information, it is helpful.

Just to be clear and close this ticket....

I solved the issue installing Ubuntu 18.04, with windows I had a really poor experience.

Thanks, regards!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

psychorealm, I would suggest you need to talk to HP about this and post on their forum.  Please open the Task Manager,  click the CPU column till the maximum user is at the top and tell us what task is using the most CPU.  Or you could post a screen shot.  Enjoy, John.

Hello there misterj,

I did, I also posted on HP Forums.

About the processes, when I open Microsoft Edge, the "about blank" process takes like 11.4 % CPU, Microsoft Edge manager 2.6 % CPU, Virtual Agent 2.6 % CPU, Chakra JIT compiler 0.4 % CPU, Browse extensions 0 % CPU (Same with Chrome, I mean high CPU usage).

I have the drivers (Windows & HP) already updated.

Did someone has a recommendation?

Note: No malwares, No Virus, 100% sure!

0 Likes

MIGHT be a virus infection according this Malwarebyte Forum thread: High CPU Usage, Blank Process in Task Manager - Resolved Malware Removal Logs - Malwarebytes Forums .

Most other threads also indicates a Virus Infection. Need to download Malwarebyte Free version and run it. See what comes up or follow the advice from above link.

0 Likes

Hi,

Well, in my case the computer is working properly, the browser never close by himself.

Also I did a scann with karspersky and it didn't show viruses.

Regards!

0 Likes

Even if the browser continues in the background, you CPU usage shouldn't go above 30%. I run Google Chrome and my cpu usage is generally in the teens and at times in the mid 20 percentile. BUT it is a memory hog. Sometimes it uses, easily, over One gigabytes of RAM Memory.

By the way, there is configuration in Google Chrome that asks if you want google to run in the background. If that is checked that is why Google Chrome is still active after shutting it down.

Under Google Chrome settings  - advance. Scroll down til you see this image. Then "Turn Off" the setting.

I believe that most browser have something similar in their settings.

I would still download Malwarebytes Free Anti-Malware program and run it. Malwarebytes picks up many types of Malware that Anti-Virus programs don't.  Later on you can always uninstall it. 

I had accidently infected my computer with a about two or three viruses when I turned off McAfee Anti-Virus program to install a .exe file. After turning on McAfee again, McAfee didn't pick up the installed malware but Malwarebytes did. I needed to run Malwarebytes about three times to clean out the infections totally. Also I needed to manually deleted the infected files that Malwarebytes was showing as being infected in the registry and also folders and files.

0 Likes

Hello there,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I got the same issue even with a new HDD  xD

So, i am thinking on use Ubuntu 18.04

Regards!

0 Likes

This from a link in from a thread at General Discussions concerning high CPU usage due to this Google Chrome feature which can be disabled. I did it on mine. : https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/how-to-block-the-chrome-software-reporter-tool-software_reporter_t...

0 Likes

Hi Eistaci

Thanks for share the information, it is helpful.

Just to be clear and close this ticket....

I solved the issue installing Ubuntu 18.04, with windows I had a really poor experience.

Thanks, regards!

0 Likes

Just to let you know that the latest Windows Update : August 14, 2018—KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228) fixed an issue where AMD CPU would have high CPU Usage:

• Addresses an issue that causes high CPU usage that results in performance degradation on some systems with Family 15h and 16h AMD processors. This issue occurs after installing the June 2018 or July 2018 Windows updates from Microsoft and the AMD microcode updates that address Spectre Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715 – Branch Target Injection).

Hi,

Thanks for share this information, I will consider this to back Windows 10 in a future.

Regards!

0 Likes

I Opened this thread in General Discussion. The thread mentions which AMD CPU are affected by this update. (Bulldozer & Jaguar CPUs).August 14, 2018—KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228) includes one AMD CPU FIX

0 Likes