cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

javadapix
Journeyman III

AMD HD8970M usage dropped, and i don't know the issue. Please help!

Hello Supporters,

Here is my laptop specsification:

Dell Latitude E6540 with:

_Core i5 2.60Ghz

_RAM DDR3L 8GB Bus 1600 (4gb x 2)

_ Intel HD 4600

_AMD Radeon HD8970M 2GB GDDR5

I know my laptop is an old model, but it still good at this time. Here my issue, AMD gpu run smoothly at first start then after 5 minutes it dropped fps and usage because of amd's limit heat setting?

I don't know how to fix this problem. So please, advice me some drivers,settings or softwares to advoid this issue. I don't need it powerful graphics, just want to run stable well. And here a short video clip i recoreded this problem:

AMD HD8790M usage dropped, why? Any FIX? - YouTube https://youtu.be/y-SyC3v3ZIs

p/s: sorry if my english has some mistakes

Thanks and Best Regards

Clark

0 Likes
5 Replies
entranced
Adept II

What OS and driver version are you using? Is the laptop itself getting too hot when it starts to drop? do you have any unnecessary software running in the background that could interfere?
Does it happen only in Sniper Elite III? What I saw on the video was your CPU starting to peak and stay at 100% usage, that's why I'm asking if its software running in the background, maybe a clean of old files and a defragmentation of the HDD (If it is an SSD forget this defragmentation) would be a good idea. It happens only in that part of the game?

0 Likes

Hello entranced,

Thanks for your reply. At first, i used Window 10 version 1807 with lastest drivers i downloaded from Dell drivers with my laptop service tag, but laptop getting hot and dropped usaged like the short videoclip. Then i removed Win 10 and back to Win 7 Ultimate with old drivers, it still has that issue, i tried to install lastest BIOS update ver A24. Btw, i tried to install lastest Radeon Adrenaline Software 18.5.1 but it just improved a little bit than older version Catalyst 14.301.

When playing game, i just opened only MSI afterburner to monitor hardware running, and no other softwares running at the background.

CPU starting to 100% when GPU drops down to 0%, and then GPU back to 50%, CPU dropp down below 60% again.

My laptop is running SSD and HDD, SSD for window running only and HDD storage my data included games, and they did defragment last week and cleaned up completely.

0 Likes

Uncheck your post as "Assumed Answered", people won't check it because it is appearing as solved.

Have you done a clean install with DDU first to get rid of traces of the older driver? Maybe try it to see if it helps.

Are you on Win 7 now? 32 or 64 bits? You said you updated the BIOS from Lenovo's website, anything more in need of update? Like some chipset driver?

Is the laptop getting too hot to the touch?

If you are using V-Sync turn it off, make sure in the Radeon Settings that your AMD GPU is the one being used. What about the Power plan? is it set to performance mode?

0 Likes

Sorry, i have a little question. How to i unchecked "Assumed Answered"? I found but didn't know where is it.

I have Cleaned install with DDU in safe mode, tried Best Performance all setting in AMD and Power Plan.

I'm using windows 7 ultimate 64bits, and my BIOS updated version A24 from Dell's website from my laptop's service tag. I used Dell Assisstant software to check all drivers i lack of then installed all of them. Laptop is around 70C to 80C when i playing, my fan speed is very noise.

I don't turn on V-Sync.

May I should roll back BIOS version to the old one? Like A14 when i first bought this laptop..... Or Can the laptop fan cooler make my laptop run stable?

My laptop cleaned dust well, it using MX4 Artic.

Until now, i'm very disappointed about AMD drivers. I searched all links from google to find out solution in order to fix this problem but i didn't find out any website to solve this.

0 Likes

There must be a button in the post where you are able to mark that post as an answer, check your posts, there must be one marked.

Sorry for misleading the laptop, thought it was Lenovo, just keep the most updated BIOS available.

Get gpu-z and see while gaming which gpu is being used, I'm with certain doubts that it is not using the AMD one

0 Likes