Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rml1
Journeyman III

Blank screen on boot

Hello

i have a windows 10 pc. When i switch it on the monitor sees the pc but gives a blank display. It is connected via vga cable. I have tried monitors and cables that i know work with other pcs so i know there is no problem with the monitor or cable. After a random amount of time sometimes 5 mins sometimes maybe 45 mins the screen suddenly comes on. Is this a graphics card problem? I have an ATI Radeon 3000 card v8.970. Windows cannot find a newer driver version. Tonight there is no display at all. Please help. Thanks.....

0 Likes
6 Replies
rml1
Journeyman III

P.s. Forgot to mention windows boots fine i can hear the chime i just cannot see anything

0 Likes

Are you able to enter the computer's BIOS or see any POST screen before the system loads the OS?

0 Likes

Hello and thank you for replying. I see nothing at all except dark blue blank screens. It normally briefly comes up with the Compaq motif and the various Function key options, then black screen, then the windows icon appears but instead I am just getting a blank dark blue screen instead of the Compaq screen, then black screen, then dark blue blank screen from that point on while windows boots. I hope that makes sense.

0 Likes

It sounds like a driver and OS issue, as I don't believe the HD 3000 series is officially supported by AMD.

If you are able to see the Compaq splash screen, then you should be able to enter the system BIOS with one of the Function keys. The most common is F2 but yours might be something else. Since it's Windows 10, you might not be able to boot directly into Safe Mode using the F8 key but you'll be able to use the installation media DVD or USB to do so. If you can boot the computer in Safe Mode and see video, then that gives some verification to it being the display driver.

You can also run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from safe mode to completely remove all display driver software from the computer until you can either upgrade the card or find a unsigned driver that works for that graphics adapter.

0 Likes

Sorry I don’t think I explained it very well. I can NOT see the Compaq splash screen and the accompanying function key choices. thanks ....

0 Likes
rml1
Journeyman III

So does it sound like the graphics card if i can see nothing except dark blue blank screens?

0 Likes