cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rhall
Newcomer

Do others have trouble running Fallout 4 on 295x2 with 18.7 drivers?

Hey Folks,

I've been using my r295x2 for a couple of years now and it has always been prone to misbehaving. It seems that different driver versions tend to work for different games, and changing drivers if I want to play either of Fallout 4 (early-middle 16.x works here) or Battlefield 1 (~17.x works) was workable until I decided to try the new 18.5 drivers. The new drivers (and the most recent 18.7 drivers) cause blue screens in both games, and it seems something has made it impossible for me to install later video drivers. I usually use the clean uninstall utility to clean in between reinstalls.

When I go to install drivers before 18.x, the installer no longer gives the option to install the video card driver, only the HDMI audio driver and the AMD installer. In safe mode is says something like "Detection driver error, Contact AMD" when I try to install.

I'm running windows 7, i7 5930K, R9 295x2, 12Gb RAM

Here are my questions:

1. Do others have trouble with this?

2. Is there someway besides a clean install of windows to could fix my situation?

Best,

Rob

0 Likes
1 Reply

Honestly I think for most crossfire worked best with the older drivers you were using. Unless you need the newer drivers for something not working, you don't need to change. They have made a ton of changes that affect the 18xxx drivers and crossfire stability is probably at the end of the line for getting fixed. I am a user like you and this is just my opinion. I don't know anything for a fact with AMD.

If you want to try another 18 series driver I would suggest the 18.3.3 or 18.3.4 they seem to play nicer with the R2 & 3 series of cards. If you want the best older 17 series 17.7.1 seems to be the last one most everyone agrees was good.

On those 18 series drives you will want to slide the "power limit" slider to the right to its maximum. This helps the stability on those drivers.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes