Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

themanfromearth91
Journeyman III

MSI RX 480 Gaming 4 GB - Black Screen when game starts

Specifications:

Desktop: HP Pro 3500

Processor: Intel core i5-3470 3rd Gen

Power Supply: MasterWatt Lite 500W (brand new)

MSI-RX-480-GAMING-4G (8 pin connected) (Used)

- Connected with HDMI to HDMI (Philips TV) ((Works fine with Gaming laptop over HDMI))

Fresh Installed Win 10 Pro

Note:

- Always uninstalling and reinstalling drivers always with either amdcleanuputility.exe or DDU in safe mode

- Latest drivers for everything, except Win 10

- Auto Windows update disabled

1.Tried various drivers, all with error:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Tested drivers:

- 16.7.1-july6

- 17.4.4-may3 driver

- 18.7.1-July19

- latest driver from MSI.com - 18.2.3

2. Rollback to Driver 16.11.3-nov8

Driver install and radeon/AMD app works fine now

But now PC Crash/No screen 2-3 seconds after running any 3D test:

-- I did one test with setting Mhz from 1305 to 1266, no difference

-- Logs see below

3. Now I did run the Auto-Detect from AMD which installed driver 18.5.1

At the same time, I found out about this tools which seems to have made it work:

atikmdag patcher

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

4. But now back to the black screen problem.

With two games in WINDOW mode and low resolution (1600x), it works with at least 30 mins play-time tested:

Games:

- League of Legends

- PES 2018

Full-Screen/1080P with PES 2018, crashes as soon as the match starts (when 3D kicks in).

You can still hear sound though.

Any other 3D game, crash as well

Also to note, the OCCT-App 3D test works now with latest driver in fullscreen without crash (tested for 3 minutes, with older driver it crashed in 2-3 seconds)

5. Troubleshooting: Setting Limits in Global Wattman

I picked what users reported here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/204857

Temp max: 80

Target: 45

State 4: 1145

State 5: 1190

State 6: 1235

State 7: 1265

Scaling mode is set to: Full Panel (no change)

No change..

5.2 Logs (4 sheets):

- 5th and 4th run are from today with latest driver

- The other two from yesterday with the old driver

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M4lrWUlO0lPrNZQbmozIU1IEARE0MEQsEYRYz6sPcc8/edit?usp=sharing

6. What next:

6. Test BF1 without full-screen and lower resolution, might be power related if it only crashes in full-hd & full-screen?

6.1 I might try again one older driver with the atikmdag-patcher again.

6.2 I am updating Windows 10 right now.

6.3 Windows itself is downloading a PCIe driver, right now

Realtek driver update for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

6.4 I might give DriverBooster a try if above doesn't help

6.5 I am testing later with another TV

6.6 Try with DisplayPort/HDMI Instead of HDMI/HDMI

Any help appreciated, especially if you can see anything wrong in the logs.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I'd put my money on it being the card then. If it were the mainboard you would likely have all sorts of other issues including blue screens, crashes and possible POST issues preventing you from starting the OS. Small chance there could be some kind of chipset driver bug but that's a stretch if you ask me. Do you have another graphics card to try? It can be anything...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dstmnd89x
Challenger

I wouldn't recommend using any proprietary software to try and improve driver performance or stability, as that could worsen the issue you are having.

Do you have more complete specs on the power supply that you are using? It's likely a cheap OE unit that delivers just under 500w peak power. That could be an issue depending on other hardware or if a 3D application causes the GFX card to pull in heavier current. I would be very interested in testing the card on a system with at quality 500w PSU with a single +12v rail.

Lastly, are you familiar with MSI's Afterburner OC software?

0 Likes

I tried all alternatives now, also switched monitor, and from HDMI to DVI.

It shuts down under heavy load, that's for sure.

I did try some settings with MSI Afterburner as well, lowering core a bit and Power limit + 10, as well as various settings in Wattman.

Also tried on another Win 10 hard-drive with fresh install of drivers.

Also did RAM and CPU stress-test with no fails.

I think right now there are only very few, hardware options left:

- (Old) Motherboard doesn't support the power the card draws from PCI-E (I read somewhere older PCI-E allow less or something)

Going to update bios to latest version, from 2015

- PSU not enough

This is the power supply - 500W itself should be enough as reported from others:

MasterWatt Lite 230V 500W Power Supply | Cooler Master

Only 3 reviews on Amazon:

Amazon.com: MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus Power Supply: Computers & Accessories

Here one user reports that it couldn't handle his i7 & 1070

Masterwatt Lite 500W with 80 Plus Certified Power Supply with Full Protections by Cooler Master - Ne...

0 Likes

If you can't test the card with another power supply then I'd say you've exhausted your options; the card just may be the culprit.

I've owned both 8G and 4G models of the same card but I don't recall what MSI's warranty looks like but I think it's 3 years limited for graphics cards. You may be able to file an RMA with MSI support. At this point, that's where I'd go as you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting.

0 Likes

I exchanged the PSU to a new 700W one which has higher A on the 12V. Same behaviour.

Two things left:

- Mainboard

- Defective GPU

0 Likes

I'd put my money on it being the card then. If it were the mainboard you would likely have all sorts of other issues including blue screens, crashes and possible POST issues preventing you from starting the OS. Small chance there could be some kind of chipset driver bug but that's a stretch if you ask me. Do you have another graphics card to try? It can be anything...

I did test it on another PC now as well and it crashed after 20 seconds in another benchmark. It is a faulty GPU.

Shame as I bought it used and the seller doesn´t want to take it back, and offers me another, even more used card in exchange.

0 Likes