Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lloydbowen
Journeyman III

Black screen installing AMD Radeon drivers for R9 380 4GB

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd come to the forums as I can't seem to find any official guidance at all. I have a problem with my XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB. Mainly the drivers. I installed the newest drivers from AMD's website (18.7.1) and then tried to install the older version (18.5.1) but I get the same problem.

When I install the driver, halfway through the install my screen goes black, forcing me to control my computer using Chrome Remote Desktop. Once the driver has finished installing, I checked to see if I could change anything on the Display tab in Radeon Settings and it says that I have 'No AMD Products connected'.

Now I am stuck to using the stock Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers. Which is of course, completely bottlenecking my system and not allowing me to play games (e.g. osu!, CSGO, Overwatch).

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD A10-7870K @ 4.3 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Ver.2

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB DD

PSU: Coler Master 750W 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular

Case: NZXT H440 White

0 Likes
7 Replies
dstmnd89x
Challenger

Uninstall all of the graphics software the normal way and then run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode, reboot. Disable APU graphics and connect the card using DVI.

Do a clean install with the latest drivers for the card and post the results.

0 Likes

Is there any other option? A clean install is the last thing I would want to do right now.

EDIT: Also, how would I be able to boot into safe mode if I can't see anything on the troubleshooting screen?

EDIT 2: Thought I should follow up and say that it didn't work. When I use a DVI cable it doesn't show up but if I use a HDMI cable then it shows up. Currently trying to get my GPU RMA'd and if thats not possible then will be buying a new NVIDIA one. To anyone out there having the same issue, keep looking around. Something easier and a lot more time effective may work for you.

0 Likes

To clarify, that would be a clean install of the AMD drivers, and not the OS itself...

If you're on Windows 10, there are a few different ways to enter Safe Mode. To make things easier, I would remove the card and use the APU graphics and reboot into safe mode through "Advanced Startup" in the Recovery section of the Windows 10 settings. You can also use the installation media if I remember correctly.

0 Likes

Even after a clean install of Windows, I'm still having the same problem.

0 Likes

Did you try disabling the onboard APU function graphics processor? I use a pair of 7870k too and I ran into a few snags when I installed discrete graphics adapters. Regardless, the card should display video if it's installed correctly so I'd file for RMA. If you had a second machine that you could test it in (perhaps one that uses a non-APU) that would be helpful but if you can't, then send it back.

0 Likes

I forgot about trying that. In regards to the RMA, I've asked XFX and they won't do it as I'm past the 2 year warranty.

0 Likes

You might be able to have a local PC shop install and test the card with drivers, or simply ask a friend to borrow a spare board. That's honestly the easiest and most effective way to determine if the card is bad or not. I would also take the card out and physically inspect the connections, fans and perhaps replace the TIM if you're comfortable with doing so.

Cards can fail over time due to a number of different things; the limited lifetime warranty offered by XFX is pretty standard for AIO cards.

0 Likes