cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

3oddbits
Adept I

Windows 10 / Clustered Multi Threading ( Fam15h ) support

Is Microsoft removing Clustered Multi Threading ( CMT / Fam15h ) support from Windows 10?

---- The reason that I am asking :

My Windows 10 x64 install began experiencing random "hard kernel locks" when Win32 threading was invoked by any application.

Interval was between 2 to 10 minutes. This occurred after the Win 10 v1083 update.

Some games have a "bug report / bug info dump" function. These all reported threading errors ( when not locking up the computer ).

The Linux versions of the game(s) tested, running on the same hardware, had / has NO PROBLEMS.

I am using Gentoo Linux with the latest Fam15h microcode update built into the kernel ( kernel v4.14.57 )

Using the AMDGPU Open Source video driver for X Windows, with the latest Polaris 10 microcode blobs built in.

Hardware :

AMD FX-9590 ( running at 4.7Ghz )

Asrock 990FX Extreme6 MB ( firmware v1.40 )

Micron DDR3-2133 Non-ECC Memory ( 32Gg. )

AMD RX-480 ( 8Gg. )

Driver from AMD used in Windows : 18.6.1 ( Video && Chipset, for Windows 10 x64 )

0 Likes
1 Solution
3oddbits
Adept I

Searching the Net turned up other people having this same problem with threading. The catch : XMP / AMP memory.

You have to turn off XMP / AMP memory profiles. The crashing stops then.

This is not a good fix.

The 990FX Chipset && FX-9590 CPU "require" the use of XMP / AMP memory profiles.

The real fix : wipe the drive, reload windows, DO NOT UPDATE.

Update v1083 for Windows 10 is the "problem child".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

3oddbits, I cannot answer your question and think you should ask MS - doubt it though.  There is a 18.7.1 version on AMD's driver DL site.  Please try it, may be there for a reason.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I'll give it a try.

Thanks for responding.

0 Likes
3oddbits
Adept I

Searching the Net turned up other people having this same problem with threading. The catch : XMP / AMP memory.

You have to turn off XMP / AMP memory profiles. The crashing stops then.

This is not a good fix.

The 990FX Chipset && FX-9590 CPU "require" the use of XMP / AMP memory profiles.

The real fix : wipe the drive, reload windows, DO NOT UPDATE.

Update v1083 for Windows 10 is the "problem child".

0 Likes