Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mot-k
Adept I

Radeon HD 7850 Black screen

Hallo,

I have the following problem and hopefully someone is able to help me:

Since my graphics card crashed today while playing a little bit, I get a black screen when booting in Windows. The installed driver is the newest one (18.7.1) and everything worked properly since the crash today.

So since I couldn't get any visual image on my screen I tried booting in safe mode which worked nicely. So I uninstalled the graphics card driver in safe mode und restarted the computer normally in Windows. Luckily the black screen was gone, but without any drivers it is of course pointless. So I thought, that I could install the driver again. But after doing that, I got the black screen issue once again... :/

Here is my system configuration, just in case:

• Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB)
  • GPU: Radeon HD 7850
  • Driver: Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1
  • Monitor: LG Flatron 29EA93-P

I hope, that I've descriped my problem sufficiently. English is not my first language.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Finally I managed to borrow another card and with this card (Radeon HD 5700 with newest drivers) everything works fine. I already ordered a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti today

Thank you guys for all your help!!

View solution in original post

24 Replies
ethanweegee
Adept I

Try downloading the drivers from the downloads page, or letting Windows find a driver on it's own. Do whichever of those you haven't tried.

0 Likes

I've tried both methods but in each case the screen turns (and stays) black after a while during the installation process.

0 Likes

Did you also try Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode, after the regular uninstall?

Which output are you using, DVI or HDMI?

0 Likes

Yes, I uninstalled the driver with DDU in safe mode. Sorry for not mentioning that in my first post.

However I didn't try to uninstall the driver on the regular way. I went straightforward and used DDU.

I'm using HDMI output

0 Likes

Typically, I'd recommend running DDU after a regular install but I don't think this is the issue here...

Do you get any video if you use the standard DVI connection?

0 Likes

With DVI it is the same problem. I'll try a display port cable tomorrow.

However it seems to me, that the resolution is the problem. This happened just now as I tried to change the resolution to the highest possible option (2560x1080) without any driver installed. And this also just seems to hapen whenever I try to install the driver again because during the installation the resolution apparently goes up to 2560x1080px by itself.

0 Likes
flyirok
Journeyman III

Hi mate!

Got SAME issue 1 day ago. Last night I was playing Overwatch and suddenly system has stopped and i got RED screen without any symbols (like if I was overclocking my GPU).

Rebooting PC didn't help as I was facing permanent Black Screen. Started to use advises from the internet like safe booting, using DDU and performing clean boot, switching PCI-E ports, cables (HDMI, DVI) and etc. Nothing helped!

Finally i met a thread here about the way that could potentially help with this problem. It was... yeah... BAKING

As guys instructed - 375F, 11 mins, full GPU disassemble. Its was all done 1 hour ago... and now my gpu works great!

BTW: HD7850 2G from ASUS, i5 4590, H97Pro, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 1803, latest AMD driver 18.7.1

Don't know how long my card is going to work without any problems, but it was definitely a right decision...

Hope it helps!

0 Likes

I will try that, thanks!

0 Likes

Unfortunately neither disassembling nor a display port cable solved the problem :/

I really think the card is broken. I noticed that I not only get a black screen when installing the driver but also the whole system freezes because I can't activate/deactivate num lock anymore for example once the screen is black.

0 Likes

To verify that it is hardware I would suggest you try loading a much older driver as I have seen lots of complaints similar and reports of ultra wide resolution issues. Maybe try 17.10.1 one of the older driver last know to be rock solid before a lot of the newest features were added to the drivers that fubar'd things for so many.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

I've installed the 17.10.1 driver but the problem persists: crash with black screen :/

I will borrow another card to verify that this is the problem.

0 Likes

try 17.7.1

0 Likes

Still the same problem.. :/

I couldn't get a hand on another card so far but it really seams to me, that my card is broken

are you running DDU from safe mode before installing the new driver? This is extremely important.

0 Likes

Run OCCT from ocbase_com. It will test power supply and gpu.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

It does sound like your card could be bad. Is it possible to try it on a different system to verify?

0 Likes

Finally I managed to borrow another card and with this card (Radeon HD 5700 with newest drivers) everything works fine. I already ordered a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti today

Thank you guys for all your help!!

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming, sad to see you leave us though.

0 Likes

Well, yeah.. A friend of mine suggested this card and I think it's a good card for a reasonable price.

It's off-topic but is there an equivalent AMD card in this price category? I've had almost always AMD cards since I got my first computer and usually I was happy with them.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I think the 1050 TI sits between the RX560 and RX570 in terms of performance.

0 Likes

I would say that is accurate. Our 1050 ti overclocks like crazy. Obviously that is luck of the draw and all may not be that way. But if it does, it darn near reaches the 1060 3gb performance.

0 Likes

I have had this issue for several drivers now on my HD 7950 and R9 380x and have to regress to previous drivers to get it resolved. I have let amdmatt​ know that this issue exists but don't know if it is being addressed. I would make sure you send in a bug report: AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes
albcm
Journeyman III

I have the same issue

0 Likes
albcm
Journeyman III

Still same, I have tested install the original drivers in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, and I got the same black screen

0 Likes