cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ebojager
Adept II

Could bad programing in a game cause my RX480 to draw too much power and hard crash (reboot) my computer?

So Ive been playing StarCitizen with my i7-6700 16GB DDR4 / XFX RX480 8GB for quite some time now with out issues. Im running the card at 1420/2100mhz on Auto with a +10 - +15% power setting. Ive run this overclock even at 2560x1440 along time and never had any issues on other games such as Elite Dangerous, Surviving Mars, iRacing, DCS World, HomeWorld Remastered, etc. and even in StarCitizen. The only issue that has been a thing with StarCitizen has been the tessellation setting which I had to force off in the driver as when I approached certain planet surfaces the PC would crash/reboot. Leaving the overclock in place and forcing the tessellation off stopped this problem. Now I purchased a new ship in the game, much bigger and more complex than anything else Ive had and when I approach the back of the ship the PC crashes, even at +5% power limit. If I drop it down to 0, it wont crash, but Im wondering why only in this specific instance am I having reboots? Iv had the game push my system much harder in other areas of the game, but this crash happens even in offline hangar modem where there really isn't allot of other activity.

Thank you very much for any insight.

0 Likes
2 Replies
locodicegr
Miniboss

Whats your PSU?

0 Likes

Thank you, its only 460W. That's probably why my power limit max is different than most. Mine only goes to +20 when Ive seen most say theirs goes to +50.

I haven't had a problem keeping it under +10 - +15 and all the way to 1430mhz and 2250mhz Memory, up until this very specific instance. What causes it to draw more power, is it the programing. StarCitizen is far from finished and has lots of bugs, so I thought maybe something in the programing of this one ship was causing the issue.

I do plan on getting a larger power supply, its just going to require a specific one in order to fit (Dell XPS-8910)

I dropped the power limit back to 0 and still am able to get 1420Mhz core at 1165mV and 2130Mhz at 1150mV.

The GPU stays at a constant 1420 with no dips during my recent test. I might drop down to 1410/1165.

I guess I'll have to not allow the card more room until I get a new power supply.

0 Likes