Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ajmalhadi97
Adept I

Changed gpu thermal paste but temperature still the same

fx-6300    

r9 270x sapphire dual x

Before I changed the gpu thermal paste, the idle temp is around 38C. After I changed the thermal paste, the idle gpu temp drops around 2-3C, but, it only lasted around around 1 day before the temps return as before I changed the thermal paste. I don't think I did anything wrong though. I did use hairdryer to loosen up the old thermal paste. And for the thermal paste, I use cm extreme fusion X1 which is quite viscous. For that, I place the syringe in a plastic bag and dip it into a warm water to make it less viscous(the plastic bag is sealed and no water leakage). Does doing that affect the thermal compound quality or some sort like that? And I have the picture of of my thermal paste application (I use paint app though cause i didnt take any pict after i apply the paste) and I didnt spread the paste. And do I have to redo it again?

0 Likes
2 Replies

It's quite normal to have a GPU idle temp in the 30s and 40s Celsius, it's because the fan is spinning slowly. It's also completely in the safe range of a GPU, don't worry about it if your load temps are under 85.

These results are normal. You didn't do anything wrong, but some manufacturers - especially Sapphire - use quality paste and apply it properly, so you won't see a big improvement when you change the paste. Another thing you should consider is that you can have the same temperature at lower fan speed - it's an improvement, but less obvious. Idle temperatures also heavily depend on room temperature, case temperature, and will be higher for a while after a gaming session.

0 Likes