cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mr_deds13
Journeyman III

What is the difference between the 56 Vega and the MSI air cooled 56 Vega?

I've tried comparing multiple sites and references only to come to the conclusion they are all very conflicting. (specifically with memory clock speeds and base frequency speeds)

I am building two desktops for gaming/streaming (not 4k) and picked up the Ryzen 2600x / GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WIFI MOBOs / 16gb 3200mhz / 750w psus and have yet to choose GPUs.

I would like these machines to be the first AMD desktops I have ever built and need some help in understanding the difference between the two GPUs (if any) or any other insight would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The only real difference would be clock speeds and power draw. Custom editions will often have higher clock speeds than reference editions and often consume more power as a result, though it can also be lower due to the use of higher quality components. All Vega 56 cards will, however, have the same 8GB VRAM and 3584 USPs (shaders) and use the same drivers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The only real difference would be clock speeds and power draw. Custom editions will often have higher clock speeds than reference editions and often consume more power as a result, though it can also be lower due to the use of higher quality components. All Vega 56 cards will, however, have the same 8GB VRAM and 3584 USPs (shaders) and use the same drivers.

Black_Zion, thank you for the reply. I had figured it would be something along those lines. I simply was not confident in the information I was combining. Especially due to the fact GPUs cost you an arm and a leg these days I wanted to be certain.

0 Likes

HBM2 prices are crippling AMD still, and with AMD unwilling to offer rebates to mitigate the price difference, it means the competition is faster, quieter, more efficient, and cheaper. It's going to get worse when nVidia decides what to do with the half a million chip inventory they're sitting on and releases the GTX 1100 series, as AMD will not have a competitor until next year...

0 Likes