Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lumoize
Adept I

Threadripper Stuck at 0.49GHz

Hey Guys!

About 2 weeks ago I started running into issues with my PC that I originally thought was due to a windows update and a slow HDD, But after reinstalling Windows into my new SSD I've come to realize windows wasn't the issue. When I originally started up my PC my Threadripper 1900x was running at 3.8GHz, which was normal and I thought everything was fine again. After a short time messing around in some games it suddenly Dropped to 0.49GHz with no warning or discernable reason whatsoever. I've tried looking online for people having similar issues and found nothing that really matched my issue.

I've tried options ranging from my power settings in Windows to power options and Voltage options in My BIOS, but nothing seems to be able to change it. At this point, I'm just lost, and any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. let me know if there is any report or diagnostic you need from my PC to help.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
lumoize
Adept I

Alrighty

Me and my friends were able to figure out the issue, and o course it wasn't anything we original thought. The pump on my Enermax AIO cooler died, causing the system to thermal throttle. Yay. On the bright side figuring this out also revealed many other issues I fixed, so I guess this is a benefit?

Anyway thanks for the help misterj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
lumoize
Adept I

Update:

Me and my friends think we may have connected the issue to a failing power supply. We think this because on top of this issue my computer has also been randomly hard shutting down, as if the switch on my psu was flipped. However until I replace it I can't certain this is the cause so I will keep this thread open until the issue is solved. If you have any advice or similar stories please let me know.

Thanks!

0 Likes

lumoize, quick reply and more later.  Please post your system specifications - here are mine:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming, Threadripper 1950X, 2xSamsung SSD 960 EVO RAID, 1TB &

500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro,

Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.0

Your symptoms do not suggest the problem you are looking into.  Please make sure you have the latest AMD chip set drivers from the AMD download site, not your MB site.  Also do a Clear CMOS or Load UEFI Default.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Please tell us what you are using to measure the CPU frequency.  I recommend the latest version of CPU-Z.  Make sure you are running the latest UEFI (not Beta).  Look into folder "C:\Windows\Minidump" and if there are any files, please compress the folder and attach to your thread.  I recommend you use the AMD Ryzen™ Balanced power plan.

0 Likes

Hey Misterj,

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzan Threadripper 1900X

MB: X399 AORUS Gaming 7

GPU: ASUS Strix GEFORCE GTX970

RAM: 2x8GB APACER Blade SDRAM DDR4 3600

I planned on updating my drivers, but last time I tried My computer corrupted and I could not start the PC without a BSOD, Making me reset the whole PC. I will create a restore point and try it again though, I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

0 Likes

Hey Misterj,

The Program I've been using Has been CPU-Z. I was able to update my Chipset Drivers, not sure what went wrong the first time. Interestingly the problem seems like it might have sorted itself out. My computer was on for 3 hours and my CPU remained at its normal 3.8GHz. This also happens to be the first day where it's cool in my room, so it's possible it was a thermal issue but we still aren't sure so I want to keep this thread open in case it's something else. I found two.DMP files, and have attached them. Thanks

0 Likes

lumoize, where did your W10 come from?  Be sure it is a fresh install, not a cloned or moved disk from another system - sure way for strange bugs!

The BSOD is a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.  Probably a HW failure according to Google.  What memory are you using and is it on the qualified list of your MB vendor?  Enjoy, John.

Hello misterj,

My windows install in a fresh install on a new ssd, installed from my friends windows install usb, so that's fine. My memory is qualified. The crashes happened before I updated windows, and they fixed after I did so I asume that the issue isn't related

0 Likes

Thanks, lumoize.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
lumoize
Adept I

Alrighty

Me and my friends were able to figure out the issue, and o course it wasn't anything we original thought. The pump on my Enermax AIO cooler died, causing the system to thermal throttle. Yay. On the bright side figuring this out also revealed many other issues I fixed, so I guess this is a benefit?

Anyway thanks for the help misterj

0 Likes