cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

GRC Inspectre program advises if your computer is Meltdown/Spectre protected

Very small program to run. It will let you know immediately if your computer is protected from the Meltdown/Spectre virus flaw.  You can download it from here : GRC | InSpectre 

also download the "Samples.zip" file to show you the Exit Codes from Inspectre:

Copied for above link concerning the Zip file:

This zip archive: “InSpectre-Probe-Samples.zip” contains sample batch file and powershell script files for capturing InSpectre's exitcode. Note that an exitcode is not a “printed” output from the program—it won't be printed onto a command console. It is a value that can be obtained by another script or program which executes the program after it terminates.

I ran the program and used the Powershell sample to get my Exit Codes. The regular .BAT files didn't work for me. Here is what it looks like after running both programs:

4 Replies

The pessimist says look for these detection programs to be the ones installing the viruses!   Sorry couldn't resist!

Thanks for the share I added it to my thumb drive...

0 Likes

This is a legitimate website. The creator of GRC.com is involved in Security and hardware software. You may want to try their "Shield Up" Online test. It checks if your computer is open for attacks. I have used this in the past when Anti-Virus software was just starting to get effective in fighting viruses.

The guy uses Machine Language coding to make his software which is why it is so small and fast.

But, it is best to be a pessimist, if you are not sure the validity of the website you are downloading from. Downloading a virus is much easier than getting rid of it later on. But with today's Anti-Virus plus Windows securty features (Defender) active all the time, The only way to get infected is if you manually click on a infected website/email attachment or turn off your Anti-virus to install a program.

0 Likes

I was joking. It has been a long standing joke in the IT community about the guys that detect viruses being the ones making them. It was an attempt at humor. Never said a good attempt.

0 Likes

, I know you were joking. Otherwise you wouldn't have downloaded it. But even though you were joking, you made a very good point.