cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aproc
Adept I

Untouched (bitperfect) output from AMD driver

Is there any way to get untouched (bitperfect) output from AMD GPU driver? My understanding is that it is impossible with AMD cards. So, I wanted to get a confirmation on this from anybody in the AMD driver development team.

The leading calibration software companies, viz. LightIllusion (provides LightSpace CMS software) and Portrait Displays (formerly SpectraCAL, provides CalMAN software), specifically recommend to not use AMD cards for display profiling and calibration. Portrait Displays also did some experiments related to Dolby Vision test patterns (which require bitperfect output) and found that only Intel and NVIDIA graphics can produce bitperfect output. Below are some quotes and links from these companies:

‘AMD/ATI graphics cards have proven to not be transparent, and are therefore not recommended for direct patch generation and profiling.’

‘The reality is that modern Nvidia graphics cards and Intel HD Graphics chip-sets have very accurate output signals, and can be used for extremely accurate patch generation and hence display profiling and calibration’

Link: https://www.lightillusion.com/direct_profiling.html

‘We know from doing our dolby vision testing that you can get bit perfect output for RGB from intel and nvidia if configured correctly. We also know that getting an AMD to be bit perfect is impossible.’

Link: http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5934&p=39972&hilit=dolby+vision+amd#p39972

‘We have found that laptops with Intel or Nvidia GPUs work properly, but we have found that AMD/ATI GPUs can not be configured to pass the Dolby Vision test patterns to the display with the Dolby Vision embedded metadata intact.’

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwsmfssbw7b35dy/Dolby%20Vision%20HDMI%20Calibration%20Setup%20Guide.pdf?dl...

All users of LightSpace and CalMAN who I know and who were using a PC/laptop and an AMD card for test pattern generation have already switched to Intel/NVIDIA in the past two years. And so, I am not able to get any help from them in setting the AMD driver for bitperfect output (if that is even possible).

Can AMD please look into this? Untouched/bitperfect color output should be the default setting of any GPU driver (of course this is for the condition when the desktop resolution and color bit-depth are set to match with the display native resolution and bit-depth, and also RGB 4:4:4 Full Range output is used). Any additional processing, color enhancement or unnecessary dithering should be optional and defeatable.

8 Replies

If no answer, try opening a AMD EMAIL SUPPORT ticket : Email Form . They may be able to answer your question or direct you to the correct answer.

0 Likes

No reply even from Email Support!!

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

Normally, Email Support replies back especially if it involves a business.  AMD Forums is basically a User to User Social Media. The Moderators do work for AMD Company.

I am sure that amdmatt​ and @ray_m (ray_m) are aware of this thread. 

Maybe @jesse_amd (jesse_amdjesse_amd​) or Deepak ​might be able to offer assistance in this matter.

If not, I am out of suggestions.

0 Likes

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Your ticket was opened EOD Friday, AMD offices are closed over the weekend.

I am trying to obtain the information you requested.

Ok, looking forward to it.

0 Likes

Got no helpful reply from AMD Email Support other than an implicit confirmation that AMD Radeon Cards (Consumer Cards) are NOT bitperfect. AMD seems uninterested about it.

Honestly, it’s surprising that Intel HD Graphics can be bitperfect but AMD Radeon can't be. NVIDIA Consumer Cards (GeForce) allow bitperfect output too. Not sure why AMD thinks that its consumer cards should always molest the incoming RGB data from the system first and then output it.

Anyway, looks like I have no option but to make a switch as color accuracy is critical for me.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to utilize AMD GPU cards for your projects. 

But AMD Support was "helpful" in the respect they answered and confirmed your original post about whether AMD GPU cards have Bit Perfect output or not.

Just wasn't the answer you were looking for.