cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

whatislove
Adept I

18.5.1/18.5.2/18.6.1/18.7.1 GPU Scaling not working

Using any of the above versions of Adrenalin Driver, GPU scaling feature is broken for me. I've been always using it to play CS:GO with custom 4:3 resolution (1280x960) stretched across my display. However Adrenalin 18.4.1 is the last working version for me. After installing  any newer edition and trying to launch CS:GO my screen goes black and video output basically dies forcing me to restart my PC as alt-tabing or trying to launch task manager doesn't solve the problem at all - I can hear the sounds but there is no video output and my screen stays blank. This happens both to custom and standard resolutions and applies as well to Team Fortress 2 and any other video game running at resolution different than native.

My specs (desktop):

GPU: MSI RX 480 8GB Gaming X

CPU: Core i5-4670k

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600 CL9

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45

Display: LG 24EA53 1920x1080 60Hz connected through HDMI

0 Likes
62 Replies
amdfreak01
Adept III

I have the same problem. The only fix in driver version 18.7.1 right now is to set the resolutions custom in the registry under the right Key. I can explain it but it would take longer. Let me know if you want me to tell you how. Maybe that will work?

0 Likes

You can share your method if you like to, maybe someone will find it useful, but I guess I'll stick to older Adrenaline version for now. I expect AMD to fix such a basic functionality, especially considering it is not the first time they managed to break it. Maybe if we all report the issue they'll start working on it? I hope so because if not I might be coming back to Geforce sooner than I expected. I love my RX 480 but I'm kind of tired of all the issues I'm having with AMD drivers.

0 Likes

Yeah they keep messing it up w/ every patch. What works for me now is installing 18.7.1 and disabling GPU scaling but enabling VSR. Then i can see all my resolutions. Whereas before i had to ENABLE GPU scaling to see the extra resolutions.

Im not sure if you know the trick to edit the registry. You can edit the following key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\

Look for DALNONSTANDARDMODESBCD1 and add a custom resolution (it must be a standard aspect ratio) up to w/e max is allowed. For me the max is 2560x1600. Just edit it and add a resolution like this:

25 60 16 00 00 00 00 60 - the 60 is the refresh rate. Usually use the native RR your monitor has.

This works for me. Try disabling GPU scaling and possibly editing the registry and see what happens?

0 Likes

Also, a good way to test this is to make sure you can see the resolutions on your desktop first (right click, select display properties) before trying to set them in game. Then see if windows switches to it properly. YOu can always then hit ESC if the screen blacks out or right arrow and enter (maybe) to make it so you dont have to alt tab or do anything like that.

The fact that your monitor blacks out usually means it can't be displayed. Almost like its trying to actually make the monitor draw that resolution. What's the native resolution of your monitor?

0 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty busy lately but I might give it a shot. And yeah I know what monitor blacking out means but if it works on older driver and it worked on my previous GPU it should work on newer driver as well.

0 Likes

You guys should report this issue to AMD so they know about it. AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes
milan78
Adept I

I can also confirm this. I already reported this issue 3 times here: http://www.amd.com/report​ Last good drivers are 18.3.4.

Seems to me that they don't care.

My specs:

GPU: ASUS RX470

CPU: i5 4460

RAM: 16 GB

Monitor: ASUS VX229H on HDMI

0 Likes

Make sure the IN GAME resolutions you want to set are showing up on your desktop. If they aren't, then its still a problem. I had to disable GPU scaling to get them to show up with the latest driver version (18.7.1).

0 Likes

When I turn on gpu scaling all resolutions except native one are wrongly displayed. The image is smaller and it's positioned in upper left corner. I tested this on desktop and in games. I selected option 'preserve aspect ratio'. This problem started after driver 18.3.4 and it's still not fixed.

0 Likes

What happens when you turn off GPU scaling? Do they all go away? Which resolutions do this? Can you post a screenshot?

0 Likes

Try setting to 'Full Panel'.

0 Likes

Please could you describe your issue, or is it identical as to what the original poster mentions?

0 Likes

I already explained it twice in my previous posts. Long story short is that gpu scaling is not working properly when it's activated.

0 Likes
amdfreak01
Adept III

A better way is opening up a Support request.

Email Form

0 Likes

Thanks for all advices but I have no intention to lose my time trying to fix this problem myself. This is not my job to do. I will wait for the next driver and if they don't fix this simple issue I will switch to nvidia and problem solved.

0 Likes

Doesn't take a lot of time to correct the setting

0 Likes

I need 'preserve aspect ratio' because I don't won't 4:3 resolution to be stretched. Full panel and center behave the same way as preserve aspect ratio. Image is smaller and it's positioned in upper left corner. All resolutions (both16:9 and 4:3) except native 1080p have this problem on desktop and in games. I need 4:3 resolution because I play some older games.18.3.4 are the last good drivers for me and since then there was 5 new driver versions and they can't/won't fix this simple issue. Enough is enough.

0 Likes

Then change that setting in the game/application profile. You are ranting. Everything that you mentioned will happen with a Global setting of "preserve aspect ratio'. Google is your friend.

0 Likes

The fact is that GPU scaling is not working as it should. You can't deny this.

0 Likes

Then report it > Email Form

0 Likes

I did and before that 3 times in last few months here: http://www.amd.com/report How much more time should I wait before they fix this?

0 Likes

Did you try setting up a profile? Is the older game listed in application settings? Can you add it and try to set the display scaling option in that profile? I know the setting is primarily global, so it should take over, but trying it would exhaust the possible options.

Can you  post a screenshot of the problem you're having? What "older game" are you playing?

0 Likes

I have the impression that you people don't believe me or that you not understand my problem. If second is the case know that english is not my native language. Amdfreak01, I did not setup the profile because if something doesn't work globally why do you think that will work your way. Since I reverted back to 18.3.4 I have no intention to install newer driver again just to test your theory. Also know that my free time for gaming is limited and the last thing I want do to is to spend that time fixing AMD drivers, Win or something else. I am sick of fixing half finished games, drivers and Windows. I registered in this forum hoping that someone will explain my problem to AMD driver team and that is all.

0 Likes

You can communicate with AMD support here > Email Form

Kingfish, are you a parrot? If you are not one then stop repeating same thing over and over again. I already explained you that I contacted AMD support.

0 Likes

These are User to User forums not AMD employees. Kingfish and others are trying to help. They just want to make sure you contact the only people that can truly FIX problems, the driver development team. We offer work arounds via settings and system tweaks but when that fails or we don't know what to offer we try to make sure people get the help they need. If any help you get here doesn't meet your needs then don't listen to it, but they are trying to help you.

0 Likes

I guess I choose to believe in the good in people. I have had people just as angry with me on here before and I promise you I was trying to help. It is really easy to be taken the wrong way in a typed  message. A lot of times I just don't have the time myself to write 10 sentences or more to explain things then people get bent out of shape if you didn't say it exactly the right way. I come into these forums and realize I will come across trolls. I try to just take the advice I want and can use, disregard the rest and move on. In most cases where people are being trolls you only feed them by acknowledging it anyway. I don't really know what he has or has not done to you. I can tell you that he was very helpful to me many times over in the past. I will tell you that I once took him the wrong way once and it was not what he was saying and felt really bad later realizing, that what I said was not correct. In retrospect I don't think I have ever seen him say anything to warrant a death threat. I would acknowledge that sometimes they are little short to give full intent.  Life is too short and precious to get bent out of shape too much over forum posts. We all do get caught up with emotions from time to time. One of the biggest issues we get here though is that many users come here looking for help thinking their complaint gets to AMD, it rarely does from these forums as they are USER TO USER forums and this is full explained in the forums header links, not AMD support. There are 2 AMD mods here amdmatt​  and ray. Neither are driver development and they don't read every post, not even close. You have as much ability to open a support ticket as they do. The more complaints of the same nature and they take more notice of the issue and get it fixed, hopefully.  Honestly that is the way I took his posts, just without long winded information. It gets frustrating for those of us here doing AMD's job for them, saying the same things over and over. Please remember we are all users just like you. I will continue to try to help as best I can after all none of really want to hang out in forums all the time, we would rather be gaming that tweaking our settings to get thins to work. Thank goodness for those that do stick it out in these forums with good information year after year, they sure don't get paid for it. In fact too often they get ridiculed for it.

0 Likes

Pokester, you seem like a nice person but I think that you are wrong regarding Kingfish. I've meet too many people like him in real life and there is only one way to deal with them. Maybe I am wrong about him but I doubt it. I registered here not to have advice but hoping that someone here will inform AMD driver team about my problem cause support form didn't work for me. Thank you for explaining me that this is only user to user forum.

0 Likes

No problem we get it a lot. I have asked the MODS many times why cant this be in big letters clear as day at the forum headers. It would same a lot of time and hurt feelings. I do wish you the best! Please don't kill anyone!

0 Likes

Even if it was big letters clear as day at the forum headers no one would read it. People always skip the boring parts. Also don't worry I never killed anyone. One or two punches in the head usually do the trick.

0 Likes

If you're expecting anyone here to "tell the dev team" you're probably not going to get very far. As was said before, you need to open an actual support ticket and talk with someone. The problem with most of these types of posts is that no one here knows what you've done or haven't done yet, so its best to exhaust things to make sure you've done them to begin with. That's all i meant by it. If you do it, then no  one here can say you haven't. And i totally sympathize with you. I will never be buying an AMD card again, and will be going with NVIDIA from now on. Its just a headache to have to deal with all this for sure.

0 Likes

He has every right to rant, as long as he doesn't do so in a way that's harrassing or vulgar. Read the guidelines.

0 Likes
coolside
Journeyman III

Go into display settings, than advanced display, display adapter properties, list all modes, then change to your preferred resolution, after the 18.7.1 update it switched me over to interlaced mode. switched back, GPU scaling works again. Hope this fix works your you as well.

For me i can't even get the higher VSR resolutions to show up so they can be properly scaled w/o GPU scaling turned off. So a 4:3 AR resolution only shows up when GPU scaling is turned off. Before i was able to play it w/ the proper black bars around the screen. Now i can't even get it to work. And my adapter properties are set correctly.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post, i have passed your feedback onto driver engineering.

Thanks amdmatt. Maybe they will listen  to you cause it's obvious that they didn't care for my reports.

0 Likes

But again, even if amdmatt "passes it on", it may be better to open a ticket to someone up the chain. Because then you'd have someone who would most likely be able to document the problem a once and for all. Not just in some kinda sorta way on the forums.

Thats all im sayin. Ill let you decide what to do. Hope they fix it for you. Cheers.

0 Likes

How many times do I have to open the ticket?  You obviously didn't read all my posts.

0 Likes
amdfreak01
Adept III

That part wasn't clear. YOu said above you reported it 3 times here:

http://www.amd.com/report

This is the BUG SUPPORT report form. Not the TECH SUPPORT form.

The TECH SUPPORT FORM is this link:

Email Form

This basically connects you to someone live over email. It takes a few days, and i had to do it twice to get it to work, but im in contact w/ someone right now. Its back and forth it seems, but at the very least they might be a bit further "up the chain".

The BUG support form is one of those things you have no idea where it goes to. Maybe noone gets it, or it gets swamped by the thousands they get a day.

Maybe you did try the Tech support. I dont know. IF you did, my mistake.

0 Likes