cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mikenoplay
Journeyman III

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming and Precision Boost 2

I would like to buy a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming and a Ryzen 5 2600X for upgrading my PC

As i am a noob in the subject i would I'd like to know if the MOBO support Precision boost 2 and if i need to update the BIOS of the MOBO

Sorry if it's a stupid question , but im pretty noob about the matter

Thank to everyone for the answer

0 Likes
1 Solution
seahawkshunt
Adept II

As I understand and have experienced Precision Boost (original and 2) is a CPU function not a motherboard function. Your boost will depend on your PC configurations ability to provide adequate power, cooling and core utilization.

"It is useful to imagine these three limits —power, temperature, and utilization—as a triangle. For the sake of conversation, let’s call that the “reliability triangle.” To ensure your processor is reliable over the long haul, it makes sense that processors self-manage to stay inside the reliability triangle."

"Precision Boost allows an AMD Ryzen processor to dramatically increase clockspeeds when the CPU has electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom to spare. In other words: if the processor’s analysis of its own environment indicates that it can safely go faster… it will" Quotes from Understanding Precision Boost 2 in AMD SenseMI technology

IMHO always update the BIOS to the latest version available and with a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming and a Ryzen 5 2600X with decent cooling you should get a maximum PBO2 all core ~4GHz and single core/light load ~4.3GHz on stock settings as PBO2 is enabled by default (**depending on CPU load and silicon lottery)

As far as tweaking and overclocking the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming offers all the bells and whistles, it offers bclk overclocking, offset voltages and many AMD CBS options and features. Paired with a R5 2600x it should fly, enjoy!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
seahawkshunt
Adept II

As I understand and have experienced Precision Boost (original and 2) is a CPU function not a motherboard function. Your boost will depend on your PC configurations ability to provide adequate power, cooling and core utilization.

"It is useful to imagine these three limits —power, temperature, and utilization—as a triangle. For the sake of conversation, let’s call that the “reliability triangle.” To ensure your processor is reliable over the long haul, it makes sense that processors self-manage to stay inside the reliability triangle."

"Precision Boost allows an AMD Ryzen processor to dramatically increase clockspeeds when the CPU has electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom to spare. In other words: if the processor’s analysis of its own environment indicates that it can safely go faster… it will" Quotes from Understanding Precision Boost 2 in AMD SenseMI technology

IMHO always update the BIOS to the latest version available and with a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming and a Ryzen 5 2600X with decent cooling you should get a maximum PBO2 all core ~4GHz and single core/light load ~4.3GHz on stock settings as PBO2 is enabled by default (**depending on CPU load and silicon lottery)

As far as tweaking and overclocking the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming offers all the bells and whistles, it offers bclk overclocking, offset voltages and many AMD CBS options and features. Paired with a R5 2600x it should fly, enjoy!

Thank you very much

0 Likes

hi, is there a way to disable PBO2?

0 Likes