cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mnboglia
Journeyman III

I need to get ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 drivers for Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, based on ubuntu 16.04.

I don't know where to find the proprietary drivers for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 for Linux Mint 18.3 (based on Ubuntu 16.04). My notebook updated the OS and the card is not working as expected. Please, anyone, know how to install them?? My notebook is software rendering because I have problems with the drivers!

0 Likes
8 Replies

Manual selection > Download Drivers

0 Likes

Input the info according to kingfish​ post. You should arrive at the link below.

Here are all the AMD Linux downloads: Linux Download Center .

I believe the one you need are these:

Radeon™ HD 6000M and HD 5000M​ Series

0 Likes

elstaci, thank you for your answer! I have already done that, but there is no driver compatible with Ubuntu 16.04. They are until 15.04. Another Idea?

This might explain why there are no Ubuntu AMD Drivers after 15.04 : drivers - Ubuntu 14.04.5/16.04 and newer on AMD graphics - Ask Ubuntu .

From a link from inside the above mentioned link: Why AMD GPU Users May Want to Avoid Ubuntu 16.04 LTS .

This is, I believe, in regards to AMDGPU -Ubuntu : https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-amd-radeon-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-l...

Article from the first Link explains the options you have if you have Ubuntu 16.04 installed:

OPTIONS

So maybe you took the plunge, hoping you'd have the card that would get AMDGPU, but weren't so lucky. Maybe you installed or upgraded without knowing the situation with AMD. Maybe you got AMDGPU and it just isn't enough. Whatever the reason you're on 16.04 with AMD graphics, there are a few options for you.

1. The first, and most obvious, is to just to downgrade to 14.04.

• It's still supported until 2019, so you have 2-3 more years to use it. Who knows? By that time, AMD may have decided to completely change its business model and actually provide good support.
  • You get to use fglrx and get the performance you want/need.
  • Please Note: 14.04.5 brought with it Xorg 1.18, which is what causes the problem in 16.04 to begin with. Luckily, it is completely possible to downgrade Xorg to 1.16 (on 14.04), so you can still use fglrx. Read here.

Maybe 14.04 is too old for you, though. Maybe it doesn't have compatibility for that new application you use so much. Maybe you don't want to go through the trouble of backing up data and reinstalling. Well, there is another option.

2. Try out Oibaf's drivers.

• They work for AMD, NVIDIA and Intel, so you can even try them out if you dislike NVIDIA's proprietary drivers or are hoping for more performance from your Intel card.
  • They support newer OpenGL and OpenCL versions, so stuff that depends on those will work.
  • They claim to be optimized, so you could see an real boost in performance.

Oibaf's driver seems like a great replacement to fglrx, and it probably is. However, if you have a really recent AMD card, you may want to try out AMD's own offering.

3. AMDGPU-PRO

• It's proprietary and maintained by AMD, so it should provide the same performance as fglrxdid.
  • It actually works on 14.04 too, so you can try it if you're still on that.
  • UPDATE: 16.60 was released, which adds support for quite a few older (3-4 years old) cards. Link updated.

Unfortunately, AMDGPU-PRO is not a true replacement for fglrx. While it does provide support for 16.04, it's only compatible 20 models. That's not very much.If you don't care about performance, or you already have what you need, then don't bother with all the proprietary stuff, downgrading or weird installations.

4. Just stick with the open source drivers.

• No hassle to install, since they're already running.
  • They provide you everything you need if you don't do anything special.

Just be aware that these won't generally work for games, especially high end ones.

5. Downgrade Xorg

• This will not work on 16.04.

It may work, it may break your system until you reinstall the correct version. However, if it does work, then you have fglrx back.

Read the answer here.

Options are far from limited on 16.04, but some of them may not be the best. I recommend trying Oibaf's driver before doing anything else, and only downgrading if you really can't stand the performance and can't use AMDGPU-PRO.

This is a comment made by a User concerning the above article:

Depending on your exact graphics hardware, Ubuntu 16.04 and later will use either the open-source AMDGPU driver or the open-source Radeon driver, both of which are included in the default Ubuntu 16.04+ installation. The amdgpu driver, pre-installed in 16.04+, is used for AMD's newest graphics cards. The radeon driver, also pre-installed in 16.04+, is used for older AMD graphics cards that the amdgpu driver doesn't support.

In order to show all the drivers that are available to be installed from the default Ubuntu repositories and are compatible with your hardware, open the terminal and type:

ubuntu-drivers devices 

Wait at least one minute for the command to scan your computer and generate the list of drivers. The output of this command will be a list of the package names and short descriptions of the available drivers. In addition to showing a list of the available open source drivers, the above command will often also identify recommended proprietary driver(s) for your system if there are any available.

ubuntu-drivers devices will not show graphics drivers that are not available from the official Ubuntu repositories, such as the AMDGPU-Pro graphics driver for Linux which is available from the official AMD website. If you have installed a proprietary graphics driver from somewhere else than the default Ubuntu repositories, ubuntu-drivers devices will confusingly sometimes show it as the recommended driver even if it is not working properly.

I have a Linux system with a i5 2nd gen with, 8gb ram 1333hz, AMD (ATI) HD 5650 1gb, 250gb SSD 850 , 500gb hard disk (caddy) ...

Can we somehow use Ubuntu 14.04 graphic drivers for Ubuntu 18.04.1...with different kernel / Kernel updates or windows wrapping needed??

Is It even possible???

0 Likes
marc00077
Journeyman III

I got the 5650HD running on my laptop with open source drivers. Everything is on this thread: Ubuntu Forums

gpu.png

inxi -Gx

Graphics:

Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel

bus ID: 00:02.0

Device-2: AMD Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6530M/6550M]

driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: ati,radeon

unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz

OpenGL:

renderer: AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.18.16-arch1-1-ARCH LLVM 7.0.0)

v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.3 direct render: Yes

0 Likes

marc00077​ thanks for sharing your experience in solving this issue,

I'm facing the same issue, and finding difficult to reach to your result. I have the exact same graphic card's specifications that you have.

would please guide me in how to solve this issue ?

Thanks

Ahmed

0 Likes

First things first, vgaswitcheroo oficial documentation can be found here VGA Switcheroo — The Linux Kernel documentation

The easier way to get your muxed dedicated graphics on linux (but maybe not the most convenient) is doing the following procedure (tested on an Acer Aspire 7745G running archlinux and using lightdm as display manager) :

-Create a file paste the following code on it and give it executable permission.

#!/bin/sh

echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

echo DIS > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

-You now ideally would disable your display manager to not start up automatically, if you use lightdm you can systemctl disable lightdm.

This may not be mandatory but it has caused me trouble. If you want to try without disabling unplug your VGA and HDMI.

-Reboot your computer

-Login in tty as root and execute the script. Your screen should turn black.

-Start your display manager (your screen will be black so type slowly): systemctl start lightdm.

Your greeter screen should now appear and you should be running on your dedicated graphics card.

Some things don't work well when using your dedicated graphics card, i have problems with the power management (standby will softlock your computer and shutdown/reboot will take some time) and i get softlocks when changing from graphical to tty and forces me to reboot. Some solutions to these problems can be found here HybridGraphics - Community Help Wiki.

My advise would be to only change to dedicated graphics when needed.

Also this is a tutorial on vgaswitcheroo How-to switch between Graphics Processors using VGA Switcheroo​if this doesn't work for you.

0 Likes