Adept II

AMD R9 270x Windows 7 crashing on some games

Describe your system:

AMD Graphics Card: R9 270X 2GB

Desktop

Windows 7 64 bit

Radeon 18.5.1-may23 and 18.6.1

Samsung S22B150 (1920x1080@60Hz) monitor

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971) (U3E1)

CPU: Intel i5 6500

Power Supply: Corsair 650W

RAM: 8GB

Describe your issue:

Serious problems on Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, Warframe, Dota 2

Whenever I start these games I get TDR errors and the display driver has recovered from an error black screen. These games crash multiple times every time I play them and sometimes I will get a hard lockup in Diablo 3 and Warframe. The games usually crash when there is a lot happening on the screen at the same time, but they crash at lowest settings even at lower resolutions.

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered is what I see on Event Log.

I don't get any crashes at all on most other games like Doom, Far Cry, Fallout 4, GTA, Shadow of Mordor and War, Batman, Alien Isolation, Everybody's Gone to Rapture, Dark Souls, Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3 or Tomb Raider, Overwatch, World of Warcraft.

0 Likes
1 Solution
anoriel
Adept II

Fixed with downclock on graphics card using MSI Afterburner with these settings

Core Clock 999 Mhz

Memory Clock 1200 Mhz

You do not have to upgrade to Windows 10, you do not have to clean install windows, you do not have to go back to older drivers. It's not the fault of the video games publishers.

Newer AMD drivers do not work well on older cards and more so on overclocked editions of these cards. To fix TDR errors and black screens the best solution is to downclock your card.

Downclocking my r9 270x to these settings have resulted in no crashes so far on the following games: Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, Far Cry 4 Himalayas levels, Warframe on Driver version 18.7.1-july19

I am unsure if downclocking the memory clock is necessary, I will play around with these overclock settings more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies

Hello Try this one this helped me to play Just Cause 3 without Crashes maybe this could help you too   Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.1 Release Notes

0 Likes

18.5.1-may23 had problems with Subnautica so I upgraded to 18.6.1 to get that to work.

Subnautica has problems with drivers 18.5.1 and 18.5.2

I went into safe mode, ran DDU and installed 18.6.1 optional drivers

I cannot use any driver before 17.12.1 because Overwatch crashes on those drivers.

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1 Release Notes

Resolved Issues

• OverWatch™ may experience a random or intermittent hang on some system configurations.

I cannot use any driver between 17.7.1 and 17.12.1 because Overwatch becomes unstable.

I still get the crashes in the games I described in my initial post.

0 Likes

Have you tried to use newer OS like Windows 8.1 or 10?

Its not a flame but you know what i mean or? because the performance got improved Since Windows 8.1

0 Likes

No I have not and I do not plan on doing that for a few games.

0 Likes

I upgraded to Windows 10 and I get crashes on the same games that I got crashes on for Windows 7. There are problems with the new AMD drivers and older AMD cards. Operating system does not matter.

0 Likes

Wait! Your GPU was released in 2013? Try this its a driver from 2016 https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064&rev=16.3.2

0 Likes

That's a very old driver, is there a specific reason why you picked 16.3.2?

0 Likes

If you would like to try a couple newer drivers 17.7.1 is the last driver believed by most to be very good. Of the current drivers the last driver that at least worked in any capacity for may R series users is 18.3.3 & 18.3.4.

Since your playing overwatch you may want to try one of those 18x drivers.

0 Likes

Thank you I'll try those. I'm trying out 16.3.2 right now if that doesn't work I'll move on to 17 and 18.

0 Likes
anoriel
Adept II

Same problem on 18.7.1

0 Likes
anoriel
Adept II

Fixed with downclock on graphics card using MSI Afterburner with these settings

Core Clock 999 Mhz

Memory Clock 1200 Mhz

You do not have to upgrade to Windows 10, you do not have to clean install windows, you do not have to go back to older drivers. It's not the fault of the video games publishers.

Newer AMD drivers do not work well on older cards and more so on overclocked editions of these cards. To fix TDR errors and black screens the best solution is to downclock your card.

Downclocking my r9 270x to these settings have resulted in no crashes so far on the following games: Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, Far Cry 4 Himalayas levels, Warframe on Driver version 18.7.1-july19

I am unsure if downclocking the memory clock is necessary, I will play around with these overclock settings more.

0 Likes