cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amplighter
Adept III

Connecting HDMI (Graghics Card) to DVI (Monitor)

One of the reasons I join the community is to learn about the types of connection that can be made with the graphics cards that are installing in a variety of computers. Being familar with the DVI type connection, I'm not familar with the HDMI connection. The computer We're hoping to purchase has a RX 580 graghics card with HDMI & display ports, however my monitor (single unit) has a DVI or VGA port. I'm wanting to us the DVI monitor in conjunction with the video card.

I've don't some search which seem to indecate that I can purchase either a HDMI female to DVI male & add a HDMI male to male HDMI cable or  single cable HDMI male to DVI male. The question is, which connection would be better for us or is there anything issue that might occur in doing either one of these conenctions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
amplighter
Adept III

Because no one here was kind enough to point me in the right direction, I was able to get the support i needed from the HP volunteer support forum.

Solved: Connecting HDMI (Graghics Card) to DVI (Monitor) - HP Support Forum - 6745010

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
amplighter
Adept III

Because no one here was kind enough to point me in the right direction, I was able to get the support i needed from the HP volunteer support forum.

Solved: Connecting HDMI (Graghics Card) to DVI (Monitor) - HP Support Forum - 6745010

0 Likes

Its been a few days since we drove 4 hours to pick up the 690 0020 computer from Micro Centers. The computer have been running flawlessly, except for the dreaded Win10 1803 update which isn't downloading or even installing there after. Ive since shut off the auto update via my Win Services.

The Ryzen 5 2400 is running about 200 times better than the only outdated Intel processor I'm use to.

The RX 580 also hasn't skipped a beat. Games like World of Warcraft are running smoother than the old computer. Although the game suggests a level 5 graphics setting, I've scaled back to a level 2 setting, but adjusted many of those details the old Intel could never handle. Viewing distance is now set to level 10 where is was only at level 3 simply because my old system couldn't handle this type of imagery.

I'm very pleased with Micro centers in house support team as they helped me make the right selection for that HDMI to DVI cable. Although the system says it can handle 5 monitors, I doubt I'll even need that many, though I would like to upgrade from the 17'' monitor to a flat screen 24 which is capable of running wow.

0 Likes