cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft kills it's PDF Reader

I know this is old news, but it didn't affect anyone on Windows 10 1703. I might have been the only one using Reader, as it was fast and lightweight, but just an advisory that they now want you to use Edge instead.

Microsoft Kills Off Its PDF Reader, Wants Users to Switch to Edge Browser

0 Likes
8 Replies

What they had a PDF reader?  :-)

0 Likes

Acrobat DC is free which is what I have been using to view PDF documents

0 Likes

You and probably 85% of all PC users. I use it too. Adobe created PDF. The new DC version is definitely the best reader yet IMHO it leaves little need for other viewers. Most people needing something else have editing or markup needs the reader doesn't do. I use Acrobat Professional as well.
0 Likes

I think you got a download code with the purchase of your Windows phone, or was it the Zune?

0 Likes
kontzbern
Journeyman III

I noticed that too but didn't find anything surprising here, just in order to promote their more functional product and nothing else. Furthermore, I have no clue why one needs exactly the software just to view PDF documents these days, now all of them have gone online and that's way more convenient. And some editing tools, which should be too complex to move them online, benefit from that so we have new bigs like this one https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/ that shows there's no real need in software in order to work with documents at all, as well as it costs less than Adobe Pro or Foxit or you name it

0 Likes

Well maybe from an office user standpoint that could be correct but in the professional graphics world there isn't a real replacement for what Acrobat Pro and It's third part plugins such as Pit Stop can do. They command a hefty price for that ability though. The average user isn't using a 10th of what Acrobat Pro can do.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

Ha, Edge is made for left handed people and no right hander will touch that coz you cant even rearrange the toolbar buttons!

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

black_zion wrote:

I know this is old news, but it didn't affect anyone on Windows 10 1703. I might have been the only one using Reader, as it was fast and lightweight, but just an advisory that they now want you to use Edge instead.

Microsoft Kills Off Its PDF Reader, Wants Users to Switch to Edge Browser

Reader was moved to be integrated within Edge back in 2015, and as since been expanded in terms of usability and features.

If you want a Comprehensive PDF Reader then you use Adobe Document Cloud,. but most people don't need that.

Still if you *do* need that for Edge Reader, keep in mind that Annotations and Office Extensions both are fully compatible and expand the functionality of the built-in Reader Functionality. It's still very lightweight and fast.

I remember people loosing their collective nonsense over this last year, as if the sky was falling in... and honestly it seems to me like most people don't actually use Microsoft Edge.

There were so many fallacious claims being about it... but here's the thing.

I've used Edge daily since launch, as yes... my primarily PDF Viewer amongst other things.

Frankly given the majority of Whitepapers that are links, being able to open them inline, tabbed, grouped, etc. is useful... as if the fact that it automatically shares the Browsing Experience (when not In-Private) with my Windows / Android Mobile Devices., so that I can easily research, review and then simply swipe it across to then show someone else in the office or even again swipe share to their device.

Just provides an easier and streamlined experience rather than using a 3rd party to share sites and links manually via Discord, GroupMe, etc.

It takes up the least amount of Screen Real-Estate without loosing any Functionality.

To me this is a sensible approach from Microsoft.

It makes sense to unify as much of their Desktop to run within the Virtualised Desktop Environment of Edge... as they can focus all of their security on a single application. There is a common interface. It means people are used to it in regards to RIA., which are becoming very commonplace.

Not to mention this functionality expands onto other platforms (not just Windows) via their Edge Platform on things like iOS and Android as well.

I'd argue people typically dislike Edge, simply because it's Microsoft.

There's still this bizarre "Underdog" narrative regarding things like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox (and nothing against Firefox, it's a good browser)… which simply isn't true anymore. Today, it's Google who have the dominant position in most Sectors; and they just keep expanding further like virus.

It's just unbelievable to me given their Anti-Consumer Practises, Poor User Experience, Low Product Stability and near wilful ignorance of Security Concerns.

0 Likes