cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

diemstevens
Adept I

Brand new AMD FX8350 CPU overheating

I recently replaced my damaged FX8350 CPU with a new one, with the wraith cooler. However the CPU temperatures exceed 80 degrees even when performing basic tasks, and air flow does not seem to be the issue and the CPU settings are set as normal (no OC).

Computer specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3

CPU: AMD FX8350 8 core 4.10ghz

CPU cooler: AMD Wraith Max

RAM : Hyperx savage 16gb 1600MHz DDR3 (Kit of 4x4gb)

GPU: MSI Armor Geforce GTX 1060

SSD: Hyperx fury 120gb

PSU: EVGA 650 GQ

600gb hard drive

Here are some pictures showing the BIOS start up page showing CPU setting and PC Health Status and the physical set up (both side panels removed to try and assist cooling).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as going through existing posts none seem to pinpoint what my problem might be.

IMG_20180630_140901766.jpg20180630_122201.jpg

20180630_122253.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks, Elstaci  - I have now tried reattaching the wraith cooler to the CPU, in case it was the not connected properly. I have reattached it, but noticed it wasn't completely level so not pressing evenly on the cpu. The same high temperature, but this time while the computer was running we pressed it onto the CPU so level, and the temperature halves in a matter of seconds! The attachment provided with the wraith cooler isn't able to hold it snug, so I am going to play around with it and if I can't do it request a replacement wraith cooler. In short, your original diagnosis was correct - the wraith cooler wasn't installed properly, thanks again for the advice.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies

Is your Wraith CPU Cooler installed properly? Is it tightly on the CPU?

Download AMD Overdrive and use that to configure the CPU Cooler's Fan : AMD OverDrive™ Technology for Overclocking CPU and Fan Control | AMD .

Copied from above link:

https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

It's a detection error, as the Tmax for Bulldozer derived CPUs is 61*C, so if it actually were 80*F you'd be unable to boot into Windows. Also, what are you using to monitor the temperature (AIDA64, HWMon, HWiNFO, Gigabyte's software, etc...) and are you looking at the CPU Diode reading, not the CPU reading

Thanks, Black Zion for the response. I am using Open Hardware monitor at the moment (see screenshot). I was using using a trial of AIDA64 and it had similar temperatures for both the diode and CPU (both high 70 c degrees). Also in BIOS it shows CPU temperature at 88 degrees. It may be a detection issue but it does feel abnormally hot compared to the other PC we have.

ting4.JPG

0 Likes

By the way, I also have the same CPU as you have now, an FX 8350. I bought the CPU several years ago when it first came out and was using a non-Wraith Stock CPU Cooler. Never had problems with overheating under heavy load or stress until this year. For some reason, when I started to backup my Windows Drive, I noticed that the CPU temperature would rise into the 70 C and higher. Eventually it got so hot, the CPU shutdown the computer before damaging the CPU. I have a Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard with the last BIOS update installed. I was using a desktop gadget that uses Core Temp and Asus AI Suite II. Core Temp gives me a ballpark estimate of the CPU temperature but I configured it to match closely with AI Suite II temperatures which is a little bit more accurate.

I went and purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler and haven't had anymore overheating problems no matter how heavy of a load the CPU is under.

In my case, my original Stock CPU Cooler was several years old and most likely the fan wasn't cooling as well as it should under heavy loads or the Fins were dirty with an oily coating since I cook a lot with a Oven top grill and frying pan which produces at times heavy oily  smoke in my apartment.

So, either, as @blackzion, mentioned is a faulty software CPU temperature reading or something is wrong with the installation of your Wraith CPU Cooler.

Hi Elstaci,

Thanks for the detailed response. Like you I also had the stock CPU cooler, but then started having problems with the computer rebooting without any reason and suspected it was the CPU overheating, but in the process of installing a new fan and heatsink, the CPU became damaged and so got a replacement with the wraith cooler. However, the CPU temperatures remain very high (though not restarting). Being a mini ATX mother board, I can't fit in a 120mm fan (like the Hypercooler) so the 90 wraith cooler seemed like the best solution ... and I want to double check first it is not an issue with the CPU setting before fiddling again with the wraith cooler.

I downloaded AMD overdrive and here are the settings - does everything look normal on the settings side. If so, I will then move onto trying to reseat the wraith cooler (maybe using some more thermal paste ... what it came with seemed pretty thin).

Ting.JPG

ting3.JPGting2.JPG

0 Likes

Yes, your CPU Thermal margin is 9 degrees C from it Maximum Temperature range.  Basically, Your cpu is running very hot, almost at Maximum CPU Temperature range for your CPU. .

Found this from an old Overclockers.com thread concerning Thermal Margin on AOD: Overclockers Forums

Well I will try this one more time.

AMD OverDrive™ Utility 4.3.1.0690 Update list:

・ Support new AMD APUs (code name Kaveri) launched Jan 2014; A10-7850K, A10-7700K

・ Starting with AMD OverDrive Ver 4.3.1.0690 instead of displaying CPU temperature, AOD will report Thermal Margin. Thermal Margin indicates how far the current operating temperature is below the maximum operating temperature of the processor.

So the temp as shown in later AMD AOD is not how far "from" comfort zone nor is there really a broader or narrower comfort zone. Temp shown in later AOD is showing how FAR it is to what AMD says is Max Temp but it is and never has been a max temp that relates strictly to the temp in a room where computer is located or temp as relates to how h0t it feels to us. ALL AMD core temps have been "calculated" in reference to a point where the cpu might be moving into hazardous heat territory and left alone the cpu monitoring that internal temp would begin to drop multipliers or something to save itself.

Found this thread from Stream: AMD FX 8350 Overheating ...Fast. :: Hardware and Operating Systems .

Could it be possible your CPU socket on your Motherboard became damaged when your original CPU became damaged while replacing the CPU Cooler?

It would be interesting to know if your CPU overheats in a different Motherboard. Try contacting Gigabyte Support and see what they suggest. I don't know if it is a CPU Configuration problem or a hardware problem.

Also visually inspect the new CPU for any bent pins on it.

0 Likes

Before I went to Ryzen I was using a 95W FX-8320e, and even at stock clocks with the standard AMD fan that came with the cpu I was getting system shutdowns for no discernible reason--I bought a  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO fan and installed it--and just as you noticed, all overheating/shutdown problems vanished after that!  The stock AMD fan that comes with the FX-8320e stinks, pretty much...;)

elstaci wrote:

By the way, I also have the same CPU as you have now, an FX 8350. I bought the CPU several years ago when it first came out and was using a non-Wraith Stock CPU Cooler. Never had problems with overheating under heavy load or stress until this year. For some reason, when I started to backup my Windows Drive, I noticed that the CPU temperature would rise into the 70 C and higher. Eventually it got so hot, the CPU shutdown the computer before damaging the CPU. I have a Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard with the last BIOS update installed. I was using a desktop gadget that uses Core Temp and Asus AI Suite II. Core Temp gives me a ballpark estimate of the CPU temperature but I configured it to match closely with AI Suite II temperatures which is a little bit more accurate.

I went and purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler and haven't had anymore overheating problems no matter how heavy of a load the CPU is under.

In my case, my original Stock CPU Cooler was several years old and most likely the fan wasn't cooling as well as it should under heavy loads or the Fins were dirty with an oily coating since I cook a lot with a Oven top grill and frying pan which produces at times heavy oily smoke in my apartment.

So, either, as @blackzion, mentioned is a faulty software CPU temperature reading or something is wrong with the installation of your Wraith CPU Cooler.

0 Likes

When I bought my FX 8350 (Black Edition), I replaced it with another slightly larger stock CPU Cooler. That CPU Cooler was strong enough to keep my CPU from overheating for many years until this year. Then again I rarely played any intensive Graphics action games.

But, as you mentioned, Since I installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, the hottest my CPU gets under very heavy loads (over 70% CPU usage) is around 59 or 60 degrees Centigrade.

So I am very satisfied with my new CPU Cooler. I beginning to wonder if some Windows Update may be causing the CPU to overheat more than usual. 

0 Likes

Thanks, Elstaci  - I have now tried reattaching the wraith cooler to the CPU, in case it was the not connected properly. I have reattached it, but noticed it wasn't completely level so not pressing evenly on the cpu. The same high temperature, but this time while the computer was running we pressed it onto the CPU so level, and the temperature halves in a matter of seconds! The attachment provided with the wraith cooler isn't able to hold it snug, so I am going to play around with it and if I can't do it request a replacement wraith cooler. In short, your original diagnosis was correct - the wraith cooler wasn't installed properly, thanks again for the advice.

0 Likes