cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

voidcore
Adept III

Single channel 32 bit tiff for displacement doesn't work in pro render.

I want to do displacement mapping for concept art similar to what Jama Jurabaev does here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjfKO2hAsHn/?taken-by=jamajurabaev

Basically that means using floating point textures for displacements. He uses 32 bit tiff files for displacements in Octane which have really good responsiveness. I would like to do the same but using Pro Render since I am on a Mac and don't have Nvidia cards. At this time I have to convert the tiffs to exr. I actually wrote a program to do this since Photshop doesn't allow single channel exr export. Anyway, It would be better if Pro Render supported 32 bit tiffs as displacement maps since it is kind of standard in many apps. Blender/Cycles supports it.

Also, the viewport performance and responsiveness of the GUI while editing nodes is very slow so this needs to be improved.

In addition: please allow rotations, scaling and translations of the UVs.

(macbook pro 10.13.6 using vega64 in EGPU and blender 2.79b + prorender 1.6.159)

0 Likes
3 Replies
bsavery
Staff

openexr is actually generally a better solution.  There may have been an issue with TIFF's in the last release, let me check.

0 Likes
bsavery
Staff

To save some time, can you attach an example texture that is not working?

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply! Actually no tiff, rgb or single channel, works for me when data is of float type (32 or half). Regular 8bit integer textures work.

I have attached a dummy if you don’t want to use any file exported from photoshop. (The files I used was under copyright so I cannot send those examples)

Best regards

/Filip

Filip Wänström

filip@augminded.com

+46 (0) 70 674 26 04

0 Likes